New Player Needs Help!

TheHarrower

Hey all,

Someone posted on my blog that they need help starting out with the Blood Angels. He already has some models and was looking to start an army. I'm not the best when it comes to list creation and what he has seems rather unorthodox. I figure the best way to welcome this new Battle Brother into the fold would be to post on here as everyone on B&C is always so helpful.

Here is his comment:

Hi I am new to all this and believe it or not this is my first comment I have posted in my life so don't laugh. I just started playing 40k and I have chosen the Blood Angels. I was wondering if you could help me field an army?

I have the following, 1 dreadnought 2 rhinos

1 imperial ship I modified into a Storm Raven

10 member assault squad,20 member tactical team,

5 terminators and 5 man deathsquad(non assault team) also Lemertes and Astroth and one seargent.

The problem is I put them together not careful with the weapons choice. Thank you for your help.

Anyone have any advice for our new Battle Brother?

Thanks all!

Well, I'd recommend he start small. Perhaps use the Lemartes figure as a Reclusiarch and fill in a list with 1 10 man assault squad and a 10 man tac squad. Add the dread, a rhino and perhaps the terminators to start. I wouldn't suggest starting right off with a Storm Raven, get a feel with smaller games. Then as he expands to larger games, mix in the DC (with Lemartes) in the Storm Raven and Astorath as HQ.

I support JamesI. This guy should start with a small army, 1k for the start. The units he has now show that he hadn't figure out the benefits and peculiarities of BA. This list is mostly vanilla with a few BA goodies. We don't even know what dread he took.

If he uses Lemmy as Reclusiarch, and take RAS, 2 Rhino Tacts, and Termies and plays a few games, he'll get to know BA disadvantages pretty fast, so he'll be able to define his own play style (DoA or mech) and then decide what army to build.

i'm guessing he's got aobr set, accounting for the tac's, dread, terms, sergeant/captain?... I'd go for a fairly vanilla set up- 2 tac squads, 2 rhino's, terms, astorath and assault squad, with the dread along for the ride... After a few games he can then add in the other bits...

Hello all. This is the guy who needed help with new BA army. Thank you to all that responded and TY The Harrower for all the help. I actually stumbled into a GW and saw the DC. I picked the set up just to paint for myself and before I knew it I was hooked. I asked a few people there how to start a set but they werent much help. The employees just recomended that I buy a million things so I was overwhelmed. Leonaides is rite. I was told to buy the ABOR set to begin my army because that was a cost effective way to get started. I like both ideas by JamesI and Leonaides. I will start small and add with time. I will let u guys know what I decide and how my first battle ends up. Thank you all again. If you have any more info fell free to give me input.

Hello all. This is the guy who needed help with new BA army. Thank you to all that responded and TY The Harrower for all the help. I actually stumbled into a GW and saw the DC. I picked the set up just to paint for myself and before I knew it I was hooked. I asked a few people there how to start a set but they werent much help. The employees just recomended that I buy a million things so I was overwhelmed. Leonaides is rite. I was told to buy the ABOR set to begin my army because that was a cost effective way to get started. I like both ideas by JamesI and Leonaides. I will start small and add with time. I will let u guys know what I decide and how my first battle ends up. Thank you all again. If you have any more info fell free to give me input.

Great to have you here, Brother! The B&C is always ready to help, even when you feel like you're asking a dumb question. Trust me, I've asked them myself.

The good news is, with Assault and Tactical marines and DC, I don't think you wasted any money at all. You'll get used to tactics soon enough.

Thank You. Weapons choice I see as I dig deeper into the world of BA is a huge part of the points list. 1k s a good number to walk into a GW to play with rite ? If I have to change some of my models and remove and add weapons (since I built them wrong) do you have any suggestions on how to remove themwitout damaging the model ?

Thank You. Weapons choice I see as I dig deeper into the world of BA is a huge part of the points list. 1k s a good number to walk into a GW to play with rite ? If I have to change some of my models and remove and add weapons (since I built them wrong) do you have any suggestions on how to remove themwitout damaging the model ?

1,000 points is a typical starting point, yes. A lot of people magnetize the arms and weapons on their kits so they can easily swap everything out and have all of the weapons without buying additional kits.

Another good resource is From The Warp which is a Blog Network that connects a lot of Warhammer Blogs (such as mine). Here is a list of tutorials on there that helps with converting, magnetizing, and a lot of other stuff: http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2009/01/ti...-tutorials.html

For removing your weapons, what kind of glue did you use? Typically you can just pull them off. You can start with an x-acto knife at the join and carefully just pry them apart. If you used super glue, you'll get a cleaner break. If you used plastic glue, the break will be a bit rougher, but you can use a needle file to make it smooth again.

Lastly, if you broke the weapons and you need to replace them, you can always just buy them as bitz. Lot's of sites sell them including eBay. My favorite place to buy Warhammer stuff is The War Store. They have great Customer Service and offer everything at 20% off. Here's some links:

Warstore

Warstore 40K Bitz

This should be enough reading to keep you busy for the next few years... :)

Any other questions, let us know.

Ok guys here is my prilimanary list according to your suggestions. Let me now what you think.

Astorath 220pts

RAV 280pts

10man Tac 160pts

10man Tac 160pts

Termys 400pts

Rhino 50pts

Rhino 50pts

Dread 105pts

Total 1425

(without adjusting weapons)

also I came across a list that had a Libby, Sang Priest, and 2 RAVs' , Tac Squad and Speeders.

Are these still too large of a army to start with?

I would like to start with a 500 to 600pt army so I can learn the BA tactics better. Any suggestions ?

First of all, you should post your army list in a dedicated section, so reposting it in a new thread will provide you with more answers and advice.

The proposed list is more likely a vanilla rather than BA. It will work well for the start - as it follows mostly the classic scheme of mechanized 2 troops and 1 fast attack (as vanilla do, and not BA ^_^) with addition of a dread and termies (who consume too much points IMHO). Still, since your army is fast (due to BA rhinos and RAS), your dread is too slow for it, so adding a Droppod would be an idea.

500-600 pts isn't a good idea to run BA IMHO (partly because in 4th ed BA were too expensive for this format, so my habits take toll).

If you want to get used to BA-specific tactics I'd recommend to go with jumpy list, which means you should leave tact squads, and concentrate on RAS, JP-Priests, Vanguard or JP-Honour Guards instead of termies.

Archived