Did the 5th Ed FAQ make DoA or mech lists better?

Parcival

Hello everyone,

Just like everyone else I downloaded GW's FAQ for the 5th Edition Basic Rule Book, but it wasn't until 40K Radio brought my attention to this part here:

Q: If a transport vehicle is destroyed in the same turn as it moved flat out what happens to any embarked models? (p70)

A: They are removed as casualties.

Now on the one hand this is great against our enemies like the currently rising Dark Eldar, but it puts ourselves into a rather bad position for any close combat unit we'd like to quickly transport in a Rhino or Storm Raven. So my question simply is:

Does the 5th Edition FAQ make either Descent of Angels (DoA) or mech lists more viable than the other type?

My thoughts on the issue:

1. Transports are still the best protection against psychic powers like Chaos Double Lash, Doom of Malantai, etc. The FAQ actually even underlined that point.
  2. Having one Squad die inside a Rhino or Storm Raven that moved flat out means loosing many points, especially since they haven't earned back their points at that time yet. Yes, cover saves help, but it's still pretty much a gambling scenario against shooty armies like IG or Tau.

So what side are you leaning to?

Turn = Player Turn. You won't be losing any rhinos to flat-out movement unless you somehow lose them to your own incompetence :D

The most common possibility that I could conceive of would be flat-outing a Storm Raven into terrain and immobilizing it, which would often not be worth the risk.

Turn = Player Turn. You won't be losing any rhinos to flat-out movement unless you somehow lose them to your own incompetence :D

The most common possibility that I could conceive of would be flat-outing a Storm Raven into terrain and immobilizing it, which would often not be worth the risk.

Pretty much this. It wont affect it when it goes to their turn to shoot at your Rhino or Stormraven after it has moved flat out. This was mostly to prevent someone moving 24" and having the vehicle "destroyed" then the inside assault since they technically didn't disembark. Way to bend rules but I can see people doing that :/

So given that our transports haven't been nerfed, to answer the original question - I still like DoA :)

Sure, transports are the best protection against psychic powers. That's good, but it's passive and doesn't outweigh the potential threats to your opponent you get from positioning through Deepstrike and having fast jump pack movement.

Sorry guys, theres not much point to keep this thread.

This was discussed when the FAQ first came out.

As noted, "turn" unless otherwise specified refers to "player turn" - and therefore you're safe in not destroying you troops.

The only thing we need to worry about it moving over 12" with our Ravens and then ending our move in difficult terrain.

Archived