Honour Guard or Death Company?

Axeman

So, I'm putting together a 1500 Tournament List and I'm tearing my hair out about whether to take Honour Guard or DC.

I can only really afford a five man DC squad and I'm just not sure which to field.

I do have a Reclusiarch which will basically end up with whichever sqaud I choose.

SO, what I really want to know, do I go with the goldies or the dudes in black?

I don't leave home without a 5 man DC w/ PF lead by Reclusiarch in a Razorback w/ twin-linked heavy flamer. I really like the HG too, but in the games I play, the DC always draw a ton of fire. For me they would be the better choice. What else is in your list?

I don't leave home without a 5 man DC w/ PF lead by Reclusiarch in a Razorback w/ twin-linked heavy flamer. I really like the HG too, but in the games I play, the DC always draw a ton of fire. For me they would be the better choice. What else is in your list?

I similarly almost never play without a squad of DC, though sometimes they are led my Lemmy, sometimes by a Reclusiarch. I am also a very big fan of honor guard squads, and usually play both in most lists.

In short, I would play both, exemplifying the "elites army" aspect of our codex. It leaves you at a bit of a higher learning curve, but when you become used to playing your list, you will have alot of fun.

I simply wont be able to take both without completely messing up the rest of my list.

I think the drawing a lot of fire point is good, since I'm also taking Sang Guard and would prefer if they were overlooked for a while.

In a nutshell the list looks like:

Reclusiarch

5 Sanguinary Guard

Sang Priest Jump Pack

10 man RAS (to go with the priest) melta gun, powerfist

10 man Tactical (rhino) multi-melta and flamer, powerfist

10 man Tactical, missile launcher and flamer, power weapon

5 Death Company, (drop pod) power fist

Baal Predator, assault cannon, heavybolter sponsons

Predator, autocannon, lascannon sponsons

The whole thing comes to exactly 1500 points. But I could sub out the DC for Honour Guard...

To be fiar i think the list you have is pretty solid. The death company suit in here, but my opinion would be to swap for the honour guard as i dont particulary like DC in 5th dex.

But to be fiar, either unit will help you out so why dont ya play a game with this list, then 1 with the HG instead.

:D

Thanks for the input, I've tried to keep a balance so can put up a fight against any army. I'll try a game with both and see how it goes, the Death Company's rage could prove really frustrating but then again, they do re-roll hits and wounds on the charge...

Death Company do have a slight stat advantage, and within the context of my army I can give them a power fist and re-rolls to wound and hit on the charge, however the HG's priest certainly does have its merit... especially since it extends feel no pain and furious charge to any other unit around it.

Archived