Application of weathering powders

Three topics a day, I'm on fire! ;)

Anyway - I humbly ask for advice on application and securing weathering powders. I've read IA Model Masterclass, but most of the techniques described there rely on using spray-on varnish, which I abhor - mostly because I've tried using it and it invariably ruins my models with various degrees of frosting (which I complained about in another topic here).

Anyway, I've found some really beautifully painted Raven Guard models on CMON and loving the weathering on them, I yearn to achieve similar effect with mine. But I have yet to discover how to fix the powder in place without using this blasted spray-on varnish. Is there such a way at all?

Help battle-brother in dire need ;)

Klear is gloss when neat. If you add about 20%-25% X-21 Tamiya flat base to it, it goes satin (about the same as Purity Seal), up to 30% and it's pretty much dead flat. The nice thing about airbrushing these mixes are that it's easy to put on just enough to hold your pigment without overspraying - partly due to the thin, self-levelling properties of the Klear, and partly due to the better control over paint (varnish) mix and airflow with an airbrush.

Matt varnishes make black look dusty because a matt (roughened) surface reflects more light diffusely (from many angles, to many angles). Using a more satin mix on blacks (or dark colours) will result in a deeper look.

You can apply the powders and leave them without a sealant. Although when you touch it it WILL come off. This would be for display only.

In Regards to sealant i swear by purity seal. Try it again only leave the can wherever you will spray the model too aclimatise to the climate. Shake it for 2 mins and try on a test mini to avoid the frosting.

Hope this helps.

Archived