Alpha Legion WIP

AlanofAngels

A lot of us that use AL do lots of "count as" and find different ways to make them stand out from the regular CSM... It just doesn't seem right to use cult marines GW supplies... I like the painting of your guys, very simple but effective.

As far as the camo, I know a few of us do the chameleon effect and it works out pretty nice... I know warpwhisper's came out pretty good. Keep it up man.

Thanks Cunvikted. I definetly agree about not using cult marines in AL; I almost feel bad adding a Khorne symbol to my Kharne... I will also be sure to look at WarpWhisper's camo marines, as well as search for some other ideas for them. Now, because I am going to make a tutorial, I decided to do only 1 marine in this next set. I will post his WIP tutorial from priming to basing all at once; hopefully tomorrow but definetly by the next day. Here he is just assembled:

gallery_47732_5586_614351.jpg

gallery_47732_5586_264453.jpg

Like I said, the tutorial for him should be up tomorrow, but if not certainly the next day. If it isn't please know how hard it is supposed to snow here.

Cunvikted gives me a little too much credit, I think. :(

I see what you mean about your list; with those few infantry, it shouldn't be too hard to point out the differences.

For the Plague Marines, what about some bionics, and/or some Apothecaries stealing geneseed (and giving FNP), like the Corpse Takers from IA9. It's certainly the route I'm thinking of going down one day (Have the bits, just not got around to them yet)

Been following this for a bit and I've been liking what I have seen. Maybe for the plague marines you can add a horn to each one? Something small and subtle enough to go unnoticed, but enough to mark them as different on the table top. I only said horn for the plague marines because it seems like most everything nurgle has a horn, could be even a top knot or something else.

Your AL look great and I like your Khârn!

One thing that gets me a little are the legs where they have been extended. On those last two ALs, you can see a bit of a bump on the finished product. You can definitely see it on the latest one you built. Have you considered filing those and follow it up with some GS to smooth out the armor afterwards?

Thanks guys! As far as the Plague Marines go, I like the idea of the bionics/ apothecaries. It would make sense as they have FNP/ T5. It might not be that hard to do, as all I would have to get is probably the iron hands conversion GW set. The horn idea for each marine would be great were it not AL; while horns scream chaos, I don't want any screaming in my AL.

@Hushrong- I know what you mean. In my defense, the picture lighting points it out a bit more. However, I recently got myself a proper file and that should definetly help on the smoothing end of things. Also, in regards to this newest guy, I have yet to do some more prep work on him before I prime him (mold lines, the "true-scale" bumbs", etc.). Thanks!

• 4 months later...
What's that? A post in this WIP??? Yes. I am going back to work on my Alpha Legion after a solid 5 month hiatus. I think I am going to be revamping the 6 models I have done a little bit (bases/ add a little more highlight) and then begin adding to the force as a whole. I promise to not drop off the face of the planet like last time; at least until the end of the Summer :confused:. Updates to come!

Alright. To start, I'm gonna make a few basic changes to the 6 models I have already completed. I did my best to not let this post turn into a before/ after late night infomercial style post, but I gave up.

Our gorgeous model before:

gallery_47732_5586_341941.jpg

And Our beautiful Volunteer Afterwards:

gallery_47732_5586_1224424.jpg

I basically took a page outta my Crimson Fist style painting and added a very conservative Ultramarine Blue highlight in certain spots; I thought it kind of made their armour look a little more otherworldly, without going over the top chaosy. I also added some snow to the base. This treatment is going to be done to the remaining 5 models, as well as other from here on out. Let me know what you guys think!!! :confused: Thanks!

Hey guys! Sorry to make so many posts in a row, but these guys were surprisingly quick/ easy to bring up to my new standard. 6 models of highlighting and snow flocking, I give you:

3 Marines (the berserkers count-as actually):

gallery_47732_5586_398391.jpg

2 More "Berserkers" and my Khârn "Counts As"

gallery_47732_5586_479484.jpg

I plan on getting started on another couple of fellas tomorrow. Let me know what ya'll think. C&C always welcome!

Clean and neat painting. Wish my colour scheme was as fast to paint...and that I was as good to paint nice and clean areas...

I would probably have taken the plasticard and done it a bit like it's a strap around the leg where the grenades/pouches are fastened. I know my "counts-as" AL plaguemarines will be in mkIII armour with an apothecary at least, bionics is a great idea though, have to see if I'll include that too in them though...

...we'll be waiting for you in our secret lair then... *sneaks away*

@Excessus: Thanks man. The idea had actually occured to me to use the plasticard heightening strip as a band/ strap around their legs to hold all that stuff, but not all of them have accessories on each leg. Still, more food for thought and I'm certainly still thinking about it.

@Zincite: Thanks dude! After painting a few Crimson Fists I realized I liked that highlight more than what was my current Alpha Legion one...

@Nurgling6688: Yeah I know. I just felt it portrayed their stealthy fluff better to give em suppressors. I guess it reduces muzzle flash too, and I can just ignore the fact that the bolts explode :D.

@Daemonclaw: Hahaha yeah man, thanks. I've always kinda felt that the legs looked a bit disproportionate, even barring the fact the marines look "short" when compared to things like IG, who they oughtta tower over.

@Rafen_2: Thanks man! I am probably going to make a tutorial at some point, if I can get off my lazy butt :mellow:. Otherwise I can always just throw up the recipe.

Thanks guys! It's been raining here since I woke up so I can't get outside to prime these guys. I think what I'm gonna do is convert ther remaining 4 berserkers so that they would be ready for priming tomorrow. Normally I paint/ convert in pairs, but since it's raining and I can't prime em', I may as well do something constructive (litterally). I'll be sure to post pictures once they are all purty' like'. ;) Thanks!

Is it just me or are those silencers a little bit pointless? What I mean is that the marines are also wielding not-very-quiet chain weapons. This is more of a concept gripe than anything else - it just seems illogical. Proper blades would seem more fitting, to me. Sorry dude.

That said, I do like the paintwork and the way the models generally look. I can't fault you for anything else except the silencer/chain weapon combo. :)

Alright guys. I managed to get the remaining 4 "berserkers" all converted and pretty. I should be able to start on them tomorrow; I don't know if I'm going to split them into 2 pairs for painting or if I'll just kick the bucket and do all 4 at once.

Marines 1 & 2

gallery_47732_5586_1211123.jpg

And 3 & 4

gallery_47732_5586_11595.jpg

I really do jump at the oppurtunity to paint those bare heads :o. Thanks for looking and C&C is welcome!

I like the idea of the silencers, the idea that your advancing through terran and the guy next to you explodes (noisily) in a shower of gory and you have no idea where the shot came from as you didnt hear the pistol fire would be terrifying that happens two or three more times before you hear the buzz of chainswords any guardsman going to be thinking for the emperor like frag im out here. Psychologically it works.

Awesome painting and posing making for some very interesting models keep up the good work.

Hey, great work so far. The highlights really bring more attention to the regal blue. This seems even better than some of GW's alphas, so keep up the good job! It'll be interesting to see what you do with the plague marines.

Really enjoying your return to your alpha legion dude! (TRAITOR!!! :lol:)

There are some mold lines left on the pistol arms of those last 2 marines, though you probably already saw them

I would say though that you might want to lower the pistol arm of the that last marine with the skull helmet.

Just my 2 pence

@Excessus: Could be. Honestly, the biggest reason I use em' is the cosmetic purpose; I just think it looks pretty cool and fits their fluff perfectly, even if in "reality" it would make little difference.

@Jokaero Weaponsmith: Thanks man! I like those types of ideas too. The idea that their victims wouldnt know where the shots came from "before it was too late" is a reasonable tactic to think about.

@Waka Waka: Thanks dude! I've never been a huge fan of GW's Alphas because of how much green and chaosy bits they give em' (basically both things I am trying to stay away from because I feel it betrays the stealth aspect). As far as the Plague Marines go, I am not entirely sure what I wanna do yet. The idea of heavily camouflaging all of their armour has occured to me; while this wouldnt really explain the increased toughness, I could just attribute the camo making them harder to hit and thus they are "tougher." Bionics is also interesting... :P

@Leonidus: Hahahaha thanks man! I actually had seen those mold lines; one of the great curses and benefits of taking these pictures is that they point out all the flaws. I had thought about lowering his arm, but I kind of liked the pose of him looking like he was wheeling around to shoot some guy ahead of him.

Thanks guys! I'm gonna get to work on some (maybe 2... I dunno :rolleyes:) of these guys). They might be done today but no promises. Thanks!

As far as modeling the silencers go, mine are this really rare and expensive material imported from Titan. :P COTTON SWABS. I have these ones with a hollow stick holding part so there is no drilling required. Just cut to size and done :rolleyes:.

Archived