IA: Steel Wardens

Blacklight

Not true, from what I read they sent out ships and never heard from them again. This could be where one of those ships crashed and set up factories. Its not perfect, but its a start.

Blacklight would still have to write it up just right. Small facilities, little tech salvagable, no remaining records .... and the Chapter never found out for centuries or longer after they took control of the planet.

Yes, Explorator Fleets do get lost.. But if the Astartes can find the world, the AdMech can and will - eventually.

Like I said, your later concepts make it more palatable but I still don't see it ending well unless Blacklight uses that opportunity to render them fleet-based.

Forge Worlds are the province of the Adeptus Mechanicus and the don't play nice or share willingly.

Also, most - if not all? - Forge Worlds have at least some Titan Legion presence; what is the power of the Astartes compared to a walking bastion of hatred and doom?

Dreadnoughts are not simple to manufacture and I can't imagine many but the most high profile/oldest Forge Worlds ebing able to do so; if they were easy to make, why so few?

Oh you misunderstood. I didn't mean it would be a way for them to get more dreadnoughts, I just meant it would explain part of their fascination with them - because they're from an AdMech homeworld, they're more open to technology and such. I know the STC for dreadnoughts is long gone, I didn't mean to say they would be able to get more dreadnoughts because of it. :pinch:

You can get that same fascination from being an Iron Hands Successor, in theory at least.

Or any Successor by using plausible reasoning.

But what if, and hear me out on this, all the AdMech on the planet were long dead and the population has devolved to a barbaric state. Now the Chapter would find it and consider it ripe with acceptable youths ... only later to find the long lost and buried AdMech facilities. Also it would have to be that the AdMech proper had no real records of the planet ... would that work?

That... that's... that's pretty epic, actually. Could be that after they discovered the AdMech facilities they told the Mechanicus and they reached an agreement that would let the Mechanicus come and recover their forges but would let the Wardens continue to recruit from there, in exchange for protection - at least initially, until the Adeptus Titanicus arrived to take over defense. With the Titanicus there, the Wardens would be more able to explore farther from the homeworld because the Titans have the defenses under control while the majority of the chapter is off searching for Necrons.

Bloody great idea! Might not work, but I still like it :ermm:

I whole heartedly disagree, even more so when you talk about Titans walking the surface of what has become an Astartes homeworld.

However, if youwish to proceed in that direction Ill offer whatever skeptical help I can muster :)

I was trying to think of how this could work, how about instead of having them find the Necrons on Naogeddon, they find them on Masada. Masada was an old Mechanicus world, got lost in the Warp, and the Warp, combined with the Mechanicus' forges, woke the Necrons there. They wipe out the Mechanicus and go back to sleeping. When the Wardens arrive after being deployed there, they land and find the Necrons again. The first landing they get wiped out, the second they land in force and take the fight to the Necrons. They manage to destroy them, and then they start to discover wrecked Mechanicus factories. Not long after, the Mechanicus arrives, demanding their forges back. The Wardens agree, having a fascination with technology already (being Iron Hands successors), and want to see the world's secrets uncovered once more.

It wouldn't be an absolutely huge Forge world, considering the Necrons wiped out a lot of what was there. Perhaps there were no Titan manufacturing plants there. From what I read it seems like the Titan Legions are based on Forge worlds simply because that's where they were built. Would it be a stretch to assume there would be no Legion stationed on Masada if there were no plants to manufacture them? Or, at the very least, it could take centuries to build enough Titans to station a Legion on it, seeing how long Titans take to build.

Story wise, I would just rather the Mechanicus arrive and salvage what they can, which is only a portion of the original foundries. Titans don't come, because the presence of the chapter is enough for defense based on the size of the surviving forges.

Might be a stretch, but hey, it's progress I say!

I whole heartedly disagree, even more so when you talk about Titans walking the surface of what has become an Astartes homeworld.

However, if youwish to proceed in that direction Ill offer whatever skeptical help I can muster :ermm:

Hey, skeptical help is still help :pinch:

Could be an abandoned AdMech facility..

This is by far the most plausible reason, except I wouldn't make it a Forge World - a sercret Mechanicus facility from ages past, perhaps, but then what killed them all off*?

*Hint: Whatever it is can be an interesting twist.

I didn't consider having just like a lone facility there instead of an entire Forge World. Could have them killed off by Necrons, which would basically tie everything together. They land on Masada, get shot to pieces by Necrons, return later, paste the Necrons, and make their homeworld there in defiance. The Mechanicus comes along and begins to investigate the facilities there, and have the chapter protect them while they work - not being a Forge World, it's not big enough to warrant an entire Titan Legion.

Blacklight, you seem really set on the Necrons. I think CJJ's unknown enemy is better ... it may still be Necrons, but who knows.

Eh, not really set on - I just figured it would work for an unknown enemy given the time they would arrive. Eldar, T'au, Chaos, Orks, etc. are all known enemies. Only one pretty much not discovered yet would be Necrons. I mean I wouldn't be heartbroken or anything if lore wise I would end up changing to some other enemy, but I think it would be fun to give them Necrons as a chosen enemy. Given the timeline, it might be a bit out there though.

This is by far the most plausible reason, except I wouldn't make it a Forge World - a sercret Mechanicus facility from ages past, perhaps, but then what killed them all off*?

I didn't consider having just like a lone facility there instead of an entire Forge World. Could have them killed off by Necrons, which would basically tie everything together. They land on Masada, get shot to pieces by Necrons, return later, paste the Necrons, and make their homeworld there in defiance. The Mechanicus comes along and begins to investigate the facilities there, and have the chapter protect them while they work - not being a Forge World, it's not big enough to warrant an entire Titan Legion.

Or:

Mechanicus set up a secret facility, so secret in fact that they central organisation loses its existence in the myriad manner of bureaucracy.

1. Turns out that this world is either a minor Necron Tomb World - who awaken and wipe out the tiny guard force and all those within the base - and go dormant until the Chapter stumbles onto the ruins and goes a exploring.

The above is less plausible than:

2. World of two hempisheres - obviously - in the unpopulated one the Mechanicus has it's facility overrun by a band of feral Orks who apparently spring from nowhere and over the course of decades they undergo some rather rapid evolution - which I've read is possible - and start terrorising the rest of the planet with their stolen/appropriated tech.

That's where the Chapter comes in.

EDIT: It doesn't even have to be unknown - just more plausible - even unlooked for would suffice.

Or:

Mechanicus set up a secret facility, so secret in fact that they central organisation loses its existence in the myriad manner of bureaucracy.

1. Turns out that this world is either a minor Necron Tomb World - who awaken and wipe out the tiny guard force and all those within the base - and go dormant until the Chapter stumbles onto the ruins and goes a exploring.

The above is less plausible than:

2. World of two hempisheres - obviously - in the unpopulated one the Mechanicus has it's facility overrun by a band of feral Orks who apparently spring from nowhere and over the course of decades they undergo some rather rapid evolution - which I've read is possible - and start terrorising the rest of the planet with their stolen/appropriated tech.

That's where the Chapter comes in.

EDIT: It doesn't even have to be unknown - just more plausible - even unlooked for would suffice.

I do like them both. I keep going back to Necrons just purely for uniqueness, a lot of chapters (I assume) fight Orks. I just want to try and get something different out there, even if it is a bit strange. The first would let the overall story of the chapter continue with not much to change. The second, though, would require a big rewrite - not that I mind rewriting, I just like where it's going at the moment. After I write the IA, I want to work on the 'Codex' for these guys. I know I want them to have a Chosen Enemy of some kind, so I want that to reflect in the writing.

Don't mean to sound persistent, Necrons just keep coming back to me because they don't seem to be used a lot :P

Don't mean to sound persistent, Necrons just keep coming back to me because they don't seem to be used a lot :P

There's a reason for that - they don't actually feature very heavily in fluff and are very much, sadly?, a minor race in the galactic conflicts of the Imperium.

To be honest, I consider the Evolution Orks are far more unique concept - also a good name for a sports team.

If you are going to use Necrons then don't slap people in the face with it, hint and be mysterious about "ancient evils"... No, not my former mother-in-law.

They don't exist to the Imperium, but they are there. And you're right, they don't know it's a galaxy wide threat. Crusade isn't the best term for it, probably. It might be better to have them Crusade later.

Basically this. You can't make any meta-game decisions for your chapter based on what you know or by giving your chapter unfeasible foresight, it doesn't read well and destroys the readers suspension of disbelief. If later when the Necron threat is acknowledged by the wider Imperium and the details relayed to all Imperial defenders, then your chapter can put two and two together and go on the offensive.

Even with the latter turn of events, it would be better to only dedicate one fleet to finding and killing Necron for the simple reason that they are not a common or easily sought out threat.

But what if, and hear me out on this, all the AdMech on the planet were long dead and the population has devolved to a barbaric state. Now the Chapter would find it and consider it ripe with acceptable youths ... only later to find the long lost and buried AdMech facilities. Also it would have to be that the AdMech proper had no real records of the planet ... would that work?

This strikes me as incredibly unlikely if not downright impossible. It's not as if it's a pre-Imperial tech world, it's a world set up by the Mechanicus itself.

This could work if when the Mechanicus get around to investigating what happened there, or when they discover the correlation of the marine homeworld in the records and their own as the same world, the chapter negotiates to keep the population and any integral systems they have already adopted and in return the AdMech can 1) use the world alongside them (not a good idea) 2) strip the rest of the tech for recovery or 3) swear oaths to assist the Mechanicus.

No. 3 can be achieved easily by attaching detachments of marines to their Explorator Fleets and responding specifically to their calls for aid.

If you are going to use Necrons then don't slap people in the face with it, hint and be mysterious about "ancient evils"... No, not my former mother-in-law.

You sir, made me laugh. :)

A company with support tacked on has two chains of command. A captain of the battle company, and a captain of the support company. They have to coordinate together which naturally slows results. A Crusade has everything included in one command chain, with one captain, which makes getting things done easier.

Not exactly.

What I gather from the material, the support units are under direct command of Battle Force Commander, in the most cases the Battle Co. Captain. The Reserve Co. Captain takes command only when the Reserve Co. fights as a whole or sizeable chunk of it.

Hey, I read that some of the AdMech's forgeworlds were lost to them during the warp heavy era before the crusade ... is it possible that the Chapter found one of these long lost (and long forgotten) forgeworlds and made it their homeworld before they even realised what it was?

That's how the "current" Forge Worlds were build.

During the Age of Strife the Admech send huge flotillas into wilderness of space in order to settle distant worlds. After clearence of Warp and Great Crusade in running, these worlds were "re-discovered" and added into fold.

The Admech has also Skitarii.

how about old armys of robot legions left over from the frist crusade, witch when the necrons arrise the chapter could call as proof that they where right about armys of robot people?

Man of Iron are more plausible and dangerous enemy.

A company with support tacked on has two chains of command. A captain of the battle company, and a captain of the support company. They have to coordinate together which naturally slows results. A Crusade has everything included in one command chain, with one captain, which makes getting things done easier.

Not exactly.

What I gather from the material, the support units are under direct command of Battle Force Commander, in the most cases the Battle Co. Captain. The Reserve Co. Captain takes command only when the Reserve Co. fights as a whole or sizeable chunk of it.

Close.

Generally speaking Battle Company Captains will have primacy over Reserve Company Captains; if the 2nd and 8th serve together, there will only be one overall commander - even if he might devolve "local command" to the Reserve Captain.

Ok, so taking into consideration a lot of what has been brought up in the past day or so, I've decided to make some relatively sweeping changes.

Instead of being on crusade, they're going to work in tandem with the Mechanicus, protecting them on expeditions. Protection was one of the terms of their agreement that allowed the Wardens to remain on Masada, their homeworld, after the Mechanicus learned of the facility there. Instead of reserve companies they'll have equal force companies (much to the chagrin of Nightrawen, I'm sure :P ) but there will still be 10 of them - like I've said this is really a personal preference thing and I really don't want to drop it. I'm planning to explain it away by saying if the Mechanicus needs protection they can assign a company to them without having to rearrange the compliment of the company. When the Mechanicus requests protection on an expedition, one of the companies will attach to the expedition until their assistance is no longer needed. I'm working on a name for these attached companies, something referring to defense. Paladins, Knights, I'm not sure.

I'm going to also throw Necrons completely out, at least for now. If anything they'll be a recent enemy that possibly arises on Masada after the official first contact.

Also, instead of having them start in the Tempestus, they're going straight to Masada which is going to be in the Segmentum Ultima - not sure where precisely. When they arrive on Masada they start to build their monastery and eventually uncover it during construction. The chapter master leads a team inside to find out if anything's alive, and upon reaching the lower levels, they find the evolved Orks. Not sure what sort of evolutions they'll have but regardless they'll swarm the small team and bring down the chapter master. The survivors manage to fall back and escape the complex while the rest of the chapter comes to help pin the Orks inside the facility. The chapter master gets interred as a dreadnought - the chapter's first - and that'll start them along the road to being dread-heavy. Not immediately, obviously, but it'll be where it started. He'll take on a second and that'll start the dreadnought/second setup.

The rest of the chapter, once the chapter master awakes, will lead a large force into the facility to wipe out the Orks inside.

I'm actually toying with an idea that I got from Terra Nova, a Heavy Gear planet. Terra Nova is almost completely without water on the surface, but underneath is a huge cave network, which is where the water lies. Perhaps Masada has a similar geology, and at the bottom of this facility they find a breach where the Orks managed to break through into the Mechanicus facility. These Orks have evolved to live underground, so I'm thinking mutated eyesight, maybe an aptitude for tunneling or somesuch.

The chapter decides to try and eliminate these Orks and as such start to map these caverns, wiping Orks out as they go. While they're off doing this, the Mechanicus finds out about the facility and demands the chapter relinquish control of it. The chapter master strikes a bargain that would allow them to remain on the planet, recruiting initiates from the population, and would let the Mechanicus have control of their lost facility. The marines would have almost complete autonomy, until the Mechanicus decides to launch an expedition. The chapter would then send a force to accompany the expedition.

I'm also toying with making them be part of an earlier Founding, now, since they're not really tied down to the Necrons. Only reason for their being in the 24th was the first sighting of the Necrons, and since that's no longer vital, they can be part of an earlier one. Which would work better, and let me have more time to develop them as a dreadnought chapter.

Later on when the Necron start becoming prevalent, perhaps the Wardens stumble upon a Tomb underground while they're hunting the Orks. The Necrons inside awake, which causes the Wardens to have to fall back. They eventually defeat and cleanse the Tomb on their world, but they start to receive reports of Necrons on other worlds in their Segmentum. Perhaps that causes them to start hunting Necrons and eventually have them their chosen enemy.

It's a rough outline but at first glance I think it'll work a bit better. Having them part of an earlier founding would also give them more time to really build up their Codex on dreadnoughts and such.

Instead of being on crusade, they're going to work in tandem with the Mechanicus, protecting them on expeditions. Protection was one of the terms of their agreement that allowed the Wardens to remain on Masada, their homeworld, after the Mechanicus learned of the facility there.

- Why?

Also, the Mechanicum can call upon Titan Legions and regiments of Tech Guard and Skitarii; who needs the Astartes? There needs to be a good reason, plsu I wouldn't use the word "protection".

I'm working on a name for these attached companies, something referring to defense. Paladins, Knights, I'm not sure.

- A Paladin is basically the "perfect" version of something. A Knight is a creature of violence, so is offensive; neither convey what you want really.

Also, instead of having them start in the Tempestus, they're going straight to Masada which is going to be in the Segmentum Ultima - not sure where precisely. When they arrive on Masada they start to build their monastery and eventually uncover it during construction. The chapter master leads a team inside to find out if anything's alive, and upon reaching the lower levels, they find the evolved Orks. Not sure what sort of evolutions they'll have but regardless they'll swarm the small team and bring down the chapter master. The survivors manage to fall back and escape the complex while the rest of the chapter comes to help pin the Orks inside the facility. The chapter master gets interred as a dreadnought - the chapter's first - and that'll start them along the road to being dread-heavy. Not immediately, obviously, but it'll be where it started. He'll take on a second and that'll start the dreadnought/second setup.

- So far one of the more plausible options mooted.

I'm actually toying with an idea that I got from Terra Nova, a Heavy Gear planet. Terra Nova is almost completely without water on the surface, but underneath is a huge cave network, which is where the water lies. Perhaps Masada has a similar geology, and at the bottom of this facility they find a breach where the Orks managed to break through into the Mechanicus facility. These Orks have evolved to live underground, so I'm thinking mutated eyesight, maybe an aptitude for tunneling or somesuch.

- The fun thing here is that a mutant Ork is not going to lead a Marine of any stripe to question quite why they're mutated in the first place.

The chapter decides to try and eliminate these Orks and as such start to map these caverns, wiping Orks out as they go. While they're off doing this, the Mechanicus finds out about the facility and demands the chapter relinquish control of it. The chapter master strikes a bargain that would allow them to remain on the planet, recruiting initiates from the population, and would let the Mechanicus have control of their lost facility. The marines would have almost complete autonomy, until the Mechanicus decides to launch an expedition. The chapter would then send a force to accompany the expedition.

- I still think you can't seperate planet from facility, unless it's a very minor facility.

I'm also toying with making them be part of an earlier Founding, now, since they're not really tied down to the Necrons. Only reason for their being in the 24th was the first sighting of the Necrons, and since that's no longer vital, they can be part of an earlier one. Which would work better, and let me have more time to develop them as a dreadnought chapter.

- I always pick early Foundings but never do anything with the weight of that history.

Later on when the Necron start becoming prevalent, perhaps the Wardens stumble upon a Tomb underground while they're hunting the Orks. The Necrons inside awake, which causes the Wardens to have to fall back. They eventually defeat and cleanse the Tomb on their world, but they start to receive reports of Necrons on other worlds in their Segmentum. Perhaps that causes them to start hunting Necrons and eventually have them their chosen enemy.

- Really? Reall!? Really!?

Mutant Orks and Necrons.. ANd thus the Suspension of DisbeliefTM died a death on January 12th 2011.

- Why?

You mean why would the Mechanicus let them guard them? My assumption would be that the facility would be too small to warrant a Titan Legion or an entire regiment of Skitarii. Though just reading through the Skitarii entry is throwing doubt onto this little idea; it directly says they're bodyguards for Mechanicus survey teams. Hrm. Needs some more thought there.

Also, the Mechanicum can call upon Titan Legions and regiments of Tech Guard and Skitarii; who needs the Astartes? There needs to be a good reason, plus I wouldn't use the word "protection".

Are there any other situations where the Astartes would be tied in to the Mechanicus like this? I can't dig up anything. Or are there any situations in which the Mechanicus would let the Astartes stay? By turning it from a Forge world into a single facility beneath a plateau somewhere I was hoping it would be believable enough for the Mechanicus to just say "Stay away, you're fine."

- A Paladin is basically the "perfect" version of something. A Knight is a creature of violence, so is offensive; neither convey what you want really.

I looked up a word I sort of liked, aegis, and found a plural for it, aegides. Though aegis is already used in 40k as the name for the Grey Knights' armor pattern.

Glad to hear, each bit gets me closer.

- The fun thing here is that a mutant Ork is not going to lead a Marine of any stripe to question quite why they're mutated in the first place.

Is that a good or bad thing? :)

- I still think you can't seperate planet from facility, unless it's a very minor facility.

It would be; not like small run down shack minor, but maybe it's inside of a plateau or somesuch and goes down a-ways.

- I always pick early Foundings but never do anything with the weight of that history.

Basically it would consist of them mapping the tunnel system under Masada and fleshing out their chapter as dreadnought based. The tunnels would be pretty massive, easily large enough to get dreadnoughts into them and fight without being hampered.

- Really? Reall!? Really!?

Mutant Orks and Necrons.. ANd thus the Suspension of DisbeliefTM died a death on January 12th 2011.

*Throws the word Necron in a bag, douses it in flamer fuel, lights it, torches the remnants with a melta, and jettisons into the Eye of Terror.*

Consider the word Necron purged from my dictionary, good sir. :P

I looked up a word I sort of liked, aegis, and found a plural for it, aegides. Though aegis is already used in 40k as the name for the Grey Knights' armor pattern.

I was skimming the thread in order to give a more complete response, but this leapt out at me for some unfathomable reason.

Don't worry overmuch about things like this unless the name is a proper noun or something very, very famous that might as well be one. Just off the top of my head, the word "aegis" can be a reference to the Grey Knights' armor, the protective subprograms in the machine spirits of Mechanicus cogitators and datastacks, a defensive position with a fortified gun emplacement created from STC patterned crenellated wall plates, the psychically activated crystalline matrices that create the circuitry inside a Librarian's hood that helps to channel and enhance his power... Unless you're choosing to call your Chapter the Steel Legion or the Speed Freakz, I don't think there's going to be too much of a hue and cry.

I was skimming the thread in order to give a more complete response, but this leapt out at me for some unfathomable reason.

Don't worry overmuch about things like this unless the name is a proper noun or something very, very famous that might as well be one. Just off the top of my head, the word "aegis" can be a reference to the Grey Knights' armor, the protective subprograms in the machine spirits of Mechanicus cogitators and datastacks, a defensive position with a fortified gun emplacement created from STC patterned crenellated wall plates, the psychically activated crystalline matrices that create the circuitry inside a Librarian's hood that helps to channel and enhance his power... Unless you're choosing to call your Chapter the Steel Legion or the Speed Freakz, I don't think there's going to be too much of a hue and cry.

Nice to hear. Yeah... the whole Steel Legion thing... rather kicked the Hive Fleet there, didn't I? :lol: If I manage to find a way to write the chapter in as guards for the Mechanicus I'll probably lean towards aegis. Stands for shield, and I just rather like it. It's got a nice ring, to me.

Also, quick question. I'm going to start writing the Homeworld fluff tonight possibly and I can't recall if the chapter gets assigned a homeworld, or if they pick their own. Anyone know?

- Why?

You mean why would the Mechanicus let them guard them? My assumption would be that the facility would be too small to warrant a Titan Legion or an entire regiment of Skitarii. Though just reading through the Skitarii entry is throwing doubt onto this little idea; it directly says they're bodyguards for Mechanicus survey teams. Hrm. Needs some more thought there.

Also, the Mechanicum can call upon Titan Legions and regiments of Tech Guard and Skitarii; who needs the Astartes? There needs to be a good reason, plus I wouldn't use the word "protection".

- Are there any other situations where the Astartes would be tied in to the Mechanicus like this? I can't dig up anything. Or are there any situations in which the Mechanicus would let the Astartes stay? By turning it from a Forge world into a single facility beneath a plateau somewhere I was hoping it would be believable enough for the Mechanicus to just say "Stay away, you're fine."

If there is some kind of bargain involved, something the Mechanicus and Astartes benefits them more than the other party.. Then yes.

- Also term for "shield"

Glad to hear, each bit gets me closer.

- I wish I was putting this much effort into my own IA ;)

Is that a good or bad thing? :D

- Very good. The Why? is all remember, in this case not having to explain Why? cuts down on the work.

- Really? Really!? Really!?

Mutant Orks and Necrons.. And thus the Suspension of DisbeliefTM died a death on January 12th 2011.

*Throws the word Necron in a bag, douses it in flamer fuel, lights it, torches the remnants with a melta, and jettisons into the Eye of Terror.*

Consider the word Necron purged from my dictionary, good sir. :)

- It was that or I was going to find a big bag of Necron minis and beat you to death with them.

Archived