Is "How To Paint Space Marines" Really Worth IT?

Quick question,

I'm currently bidding on GW's. "How To Paint Space Marines" book on ebay. I consider myself a moderately good painter, but I still have a long ways to go in the way of brush control, highlighting, etc. In light of that, is the book really worth it?

The book was worth it to me. I had been painting for several years before I picked it up and the book didn't help me with technique per se but, it did help with color schemes and examples.

I ended up doing multiple chapters and having photos of them really helped in the iconography and squad markings.

I think I paid 20 or so for mine and it paid for itself by being a handy example guide.

no, it is not worth the money. everything in the book is avaliable for free online.

just use things like youtube and google images..

And this is the worth of the book. So the basic question you need to ask is "How much is my time worth?" If you consider your time worthless (a lot of people do, it's not a negative in this context) then it isn't worth it because you can find everything for free by looking. But if you place sufficent worth to your time then it's worth is not spending time to looking stuff up.

I found it helpful for iconography and schemes, but you can do much better with the recent edition of "How to paint Citadel Miniatures". I found this to be an extremely helpful book, because it will explain techniques, tips with mixing paints, and lots of other helpful tips and advice on painting.

the How to Paint Space Marines to be sort of lack-lustre in actual advice for painting.

It think it is a good book, provides a lot of inspiration (and many "Dang, now I want to collect a different chapter!"-moments). The painting tips and tutorials are good, obviously depends on your level of skill/knowledge about painting whether they are useful to you, but I like them for a quick reference now and then.

I guess I'd buy it myself, if I wouldn't always know a model or two I'd rather spend my money on.

for straight up fluff and armor patterns wouldn't Insignium be better ( http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer-4000...-On-Demand.html )?

I'd recommend you see if you can find an open copy and look through it, personally. I found that I liked looking at it a few times but after that the value wasn't that high, it was more a few one off pieces of advice than a really comprehensive guide.

Archived