Chapterhouse

As the title says, is it worth buying from Chapterhouse right now with the feud against GW going on? Or is it better to hold a bit and see what happen? Too avoid throwing money for nothing that is..

Just wanna know what the community says, not here too judge anyone.

This is just MY take on it.-- If they have some stuff you want, order it now. If you want them to be around later, your order will no doubt help their current legal battle. Also, if they win, then they'll be around longer. If they lose, they may not be around later, and you'll have missed out on the items you wanted.

I'm certain that Chapterhouse's stuff will never be "official GW tournament approved," but there are a few of their products that look kinda cool. I ordered as soon as it was announced that GW was taking legal action against them, and I just got my order today. Some of the celtic-styled shields and a combi-bolter magnetic kit. The quality was pretty decent on both.

They make nice stuff. Sure, some of the casting quality is not that great (an occasional bubble, heavy mold lines on complex parts, etc), but it's at least comparable to FW most of the time.

There was a couple minor mis-cast portions of the jump packs I received recently, but not enough to complain about and was repaired easily. The pewter parts were good (a couple shoulder pads).

I honestly think GW takes the IP rights WAY too far, claiming ownership of design themes that are clearly from historical sources. I hope Chapterhouse wins from a casting & selling point. They may loose partially on the names used for a lot of it (they specifically reference SM chapters).

I literally got my order in the mail from them today, so they're definitely fulfilling. As for GW tourney legal, I haven't put the pieces on yet but everything I've read says GW mostly cares about the base model. If I'm not going to be allowed to use my army because I have third party shoulderpads (for an army forgeworld/gw does not support one iota) I'll stop playing 40k then and there.

Now if I'm not allowed to field the Mr Dandy wolves, that I can see even if I think it's dumb.

do it! :P

although their stuff isnt the greatest of casts their stuff is still really awesome!

i got some nice pre-heresy tank bits and jump packs, and a front armoured plate looks really nice!

id say go i dought they will be forced to close (im sure they could get away with just renameing everything "marines from space - older tank designing" :) haha

Wisey :D

I would say go for it, because these guys aren't going to be around later. I think there's no way they're going to win the case, since they specifically use Chapter names when selling bits, and due to their online attitudes, I think they deserve what's coming to them. People tried to warn them in the past, to which Chapterhouse replied that they knew of a legal loophole which let them sell bits under GW's copyrighted names, and that they had a fund set up to cover legal funds just in case. Now they've been sued and they're begging for donations to cover their legal costs. They might make some nice bits, but the guys themselves are :cusss.

Well I just managed to take a look at their stuff and some of it is pretty nice, the starburst shoulder pad is perfect for my DIY chapter the Blazing Sons too, I was almost shocked to find what I wanted to easily.

But I digress, the legal issues are a concern.

On the one hand if what Dark Link says is true then the people who run Chapterhouse have been entirely too blasé about the entire deal, especially when dealing with a litigation machine like Games Workshop.

On the other hand, Games Workshop are, and have always been far too eager to jump down peoples throats for using any of the warhammer IP's that they own.

The problem with the latter issue is that this sort of overbearing attitude actually stifles growth for the hobby. The list of PC Game mod-teams that have been issued cease-and-desist orders just because they loved 40k or fantasy enough to want to bring that universe into their favorite game, though recently this has behavior has slackened a lot since the release of the Dawn of War series, hopefully opening GW's eyes a little bit.

GW Official Tournament rules themselves are a teensie bit draconian as well, it's like they want everyone to play 40k in a vacuum and it isn't a healthy attitude.

In any case I'll probably order a bunch of bits pretty soon, considering the company may go under in the near(ish) future.

I think they deserve what's coming to them. People tried to warn them in the past, to which Chapterhouse replied that they knew of a legal loophole which let them sell bits under GW's copyrighted names, and that they had a fund set up to cover legal funds just in case. Now they've been sued and they're begging for donations to cover their legal costs. They might make some nice bits, but the guys themselves are :cusss.

Seconded. I had plans to buy some shoulder pads from them, but after reading through a Dakkadakka thread where the Chapterhouse folks called GW fascists and essentially dared them to sue, I think I'll have a go at sculpting my own. That guy was pretty ridiculous, and his rhetoric tired and thin. He was absolutely certain he would win a legal battle, so much so that he eschewed the common sense that every other provider of conversion bits exhibits, and essentially invited these legal proceedings. He wants to cast himself as David fighting Goliath, but I see him more as poking a sleeping dog in the eye with a stick and laughing about it. Now that he's getting bit he wants some sympathy, and I just don't have it in me.

As a note, he's now changed the links on the front page of the site themselves - Tyranid bits to 28mm Space Bugs bits as an example. But they're still selling the parts themselves under GW's copyrighted names. Do they actually think GW would just look on the surface and not click any links?

Archived