Whats a good Spraygun?

So, for xmas, my friend got me the Testors Amazing Air Spraygun and camoflage kit. I probably won't use the paint (since I've got a colorscheme I use), but I was wondering if Games-workshop paint would work in the spraygun? see, I've got a bunch of rhinos I need to paint (they are primed and ready, i'm just too lazy to brush-paint them completely), and I was wondering if the Testors spraygun would work.

If not, anyone have a suggestion on what I can use?

I have never used one of Testors' sprayguns/airbrushes, but there is nothing to prevent you from using GW paint in them. If it works for Testors, it is almost certain to work with other paints as well. You will just have to make sure that you've thinned your paint enough to get it to flow through correctly.

Thats what I was wondering about. I didn't know if the thickness would be a problem or not.

Really, this is the first spray-gun i've had and I've be playing W40k for less than a year. So, if you've got any suggestions or know of tutorials I'd be greatful.

Generally, the rule of thumb with an airbrush is to ensure you wash it out after EVERY colour you put through it, no matter if it's just for a quick shot, or prolonged use. Not washing it out leads to crap gunking up your needle, which guides the paint/air mixture out of the spray nozzle.

As for thinned paint, it's widely accepted that you want it about the consistency of 2% milk. Not too watery, but not thick enough to stop up your airbrush on the first spray. It takes practice to get it down, but eventually you'll find a good mixture.

Once you feel comfortable with it, you might want to try substituting water (or whatever it is you're thinning it out with) with Klear floor polish/future floor wax/anything water soluble and acrylic for vinyl floors. It helps break surface tension on the paint and spreads it more evenly when you apply it, whether it's via brush or spray-on.

Generally, the rule of thumb with an airbrush is to ensure you wash it out after EVERY colour you put through it, no matter if it's just for a quick shot, or prolonged use. Not washing it out leads to crap gunking up your needle, which guides the paint/air mixture out of the spray nozzle.

Absolutely correct! These are words to live by when using an airbrush/spraygun!

Once you feel comfortable with it, you might want to try substituting water (or whatever it is you're thinning it out with) with Klear floor polish/future floor wax/anything water soluble and acrylic for vinyl floors. It helps break surface tension on the paint and spreads it more evenly when you apply it, whether it's via brush or spray-on.

This also works when using a normal brush, making good washes that spread over the surface of a mini, settling in the recesses, without too many lines where the wash is too thin.

Once you feel comfortable with it, you might want to try substituting water (or whatever it is you're thinning it out with) with Klear floor polish/future floor wax/anything water soluble and acrylic for vinyl floors.

The specific product is described in detail here.

I use it and love it, and have been working off of the same bottle for nearly five years.

Archived