Black Dragon Conversions

Hey all,

I am about to start collecting, building, and painting a Black Dragons space marine army. For those of you who don't know, they have a mutated Ossmodula zygote, which causes some of them to grow bony crests on their heads, blades out of their forearms, and long fangs. I've got some ideas for the first two, but I'm pretty stumped with how to accomplish the fangs. For the head crests, I plan on using some spines from either a Dark Elves or a Lizardmen model. For the blades I'll use some Tyranid scything talons bitz. I seem to remember seeing some Space Wolves heads with fangs, but I can't seem to find them. Anyone have any suggestions on how to do any of those three conversions?

The heads from the old SW sprue (here) had fangs, as do a lot of the old metal models. The bare Khorne Berzerker head also has some nice fangs.

Chaplain Desmodus used a mix of those plastic heads and added fangs to the normal heads with GS, if I remember correctly. Here are his Flesheaters. Click through the gallery to see some great fanged models. :D

The old "Cursed Founding" IA Article mentioned that the head crests on Matt Hutson's models were also taken from the gaunt sprue. I even found a site with the pics from the article. Link

But this head from the new chaos marauder cavalry would look nice as well, if you paint the hair as bone.

Just want to make sure you know that not all black dragons have the mutations described. So in theory unless you have a lot of marines without helmets in the mutated squads you shouldn't need that many heads with long fangs. You can also greenstuff the fangs if you need to, I found it was easiest on models that had open mouths.

Archived