Painting a green color scheme?

Hey everyone, I have a Marine army composed of Dark Green powered armor marines painted with Orkhide Shade. They were originally Dark Angels, but I'm changing them into a successor chapter. After playing a few games with my friends, they suggested that I should add a bit more color to my marines, which I agreed with. I deeply admire the color scheme of the Crimson Fists, as they have a deep blue color highlighted with a lighter color:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1860440_RWOpener.jpg

How would I go about obtaining a color scheme like this, but green? Should I heavily water down some snot green and apply it?

Thanks!

At first I just glanced over your post and thought you wanted to see another accent color for the CF's scheme so I switched the color channels of the image and threw this together. I was also going to suggest that if you want to change chapters you just have to repaint the inside of the shoulderpads and add your own touch like colored helmets etc to the paintscheme.

Looking at it again now it seems you are actually looking on information on highlighting. If this is the case you just have to trace the armor's raised edges with a lighter color than your basecolor (Thinning paint and painting with the side of your brush help to get an even line).

Take a look at this article to see how Orkhide Shade highlighted with Goblin Green and Goblin Green+Bleached Bone look like.

If you are looking for tutorials on highlighting just do a quick search here in the tutorials section or a normal internet search. If you are lucky you might even find a tutorial on youtube that shows the actual painting process. I would also recommend looking into the article section over on CMON if you are looking to improve your painting and as most of the community there is more or less focused on painting you'll get a lot of good comments and criticism if you post your minis there.

Anyway, I hope that this post is still somehow helpful to you. It's getting late here... :)

Snot green is a good highlight color to DA green. Seen I don't have the artistic eye to determine where highlights should go myself, I usually look for multiple images of the same model I'm working on from several different angles and copy the highlights they've got on their's. One resource I've found surprisingly helpful on several occasions is the store clerks in your local gaming store. If you're not sure where to put the highlights ask them. Finally, I have been experimenting with highlighting DA green (I play DA) recently using snot green and then a dark green ink wash to make the highlight more subtle. Alas the main problem I'm running into is this makes the highlight almost unnoticeable to me and on the first few came out kinda splotchy. Hope this helps.

Archived