Need help Vs. Chaos

MirImage

Hey all,

I am fairly new to the game, especially the 5th ed rules (still trying to find a softcover copy on ebay). Anyways I have played 4 games in 5th ed and I am 1 and 3 with my 3 loses to Chaos, the same player. And he destroys me.

I was just hoping to get some tips for the next time I play him. I understand I want to stay away from CC but I am not sure of some other strategies.

We've played two 1500 games and one 1000 game. He generally plays some 1000 sons, Khorn Berzerkers (in rhinos), a vindicator, Obliterators, Demon Prince and a tank that has a cone thing as a gun (cannot remember the name of it, sorry).

If it helps I own the following:

HQ Azreal, Ezekiel, Int chap on a bike and Company Master

Elites: Termies: 4 sb/pf 1 ac/cf, 10 LCs

2 Dreds

scout squad (4 CCW and Pistol, 1 w/ HB)

Troops/Dev: ~60 4 sarg's with Plas Pistols, 1 w/ PF, 1 Plasma Gun, 4 HB, 4 PC, 2 ML, 2 Flam, 1 Multi-Meltas (I do have more bits for Flamers, Plasmas and Meltas)

Fast attack: 5 bikes and 1 Attack Bike with HB

Heavy: A pred with TTLC and magnetized side sponsons and the devs above.

also Land Raider Crusador.

I'm not necessarily asking you to make me a list but just telling you what I have to put on the table. Suggestions for new purchases would be appreciated too, maybe not so much by the wife.

Cheers!

Hey all,

I am fairly new to the game, especially the 5th ed rules (still trying to find a softcover copy on ebay). Anyways I have played 4 games in 5th ed and I am 1 and 3 with my 3 loses to Chaos, the same player. And he destroys me.

I was just hoping to get some tips for the next time I play him. I understand I want to stay away from CC but I am not sure of some other strategies.

We've played two 1500 games and one 1000 game. He generally plays some 1000 sons, Khorn Berzerkers (in rhinos), a vindicator, Obliterators, Demon Prince and a tank that has a cone thing as a gun (cannot remember the name of it, sorry).

If it helps I own the following:

HQ Azreal, Ezekiel, Int chap on a bike and Company Master

Elites: Termies: 4 sb/pf 1 ac/cf, 10 LCs

2 Dreds

scout squad (4 CCW and Pistol, 1 w/ HB)

Troops/Dev: ~60 4 sarg's with Plas Pistols, 1 w/ PF, 1 Plasma Gun, 4 HB, 4 PC, 2 ML, 2 Flam, 1 Multi-Meltas (I do have more bits for Flamers, Plasmas and Meltas)

Fast attack: 5 bikes and 1 Attack Bike with HB

Heavy: A pred with TTLC and magnetized side sponsons and the devs above.

also Land Raider Crusador.

I'm not necessarily asking you to make me a list but just telling you what I have to put on the table. Suggestions for new purchases would be appreciated too, maybe not so much by the wife.

Cheers!

OK, can you tell us what it is that the Chaos player does constantly??? Seems as though he has your number. Right now knowing what you have to play with is a a sarting point, but what does he have that smack you around so badly?

**edit sp**

Hmm I think you need something to stop the transports getting to your lines - lascannons (which you seem short of) would handle that nicely and also put wounds on the Daemon Prince and oblits from a safe distance. I also think powerfists on your squad sarges would be much better than their plasma pistols for when cc ensues (as it inevitably will) when facing that kind of list.

That's all I can offer at present.

Cheers

I

I think I was going to tone down the Plasma Pistols in the squads since it can get costly.

His deamon has wings so it moves 12" and also takes the rerolling ability. He had two models (1 is the Deamon Prince) where he has a pretty strong shot with a psychic ability. I've killed the DP once with my dreads TLLC but other times he whips out squads. He runs his raiders close to my lines and then his khorn squads overpower my marines. His two Heavy tanks have done massive damage, but I'm sure lascannons would help.

I am not sure who to use my terminators against. When I've deep striked they've gotten shot up and were then a weak squad in CC.

**To make a correction with my above list I actually dont have the LRC, 1 Dread, Attack Bike, 5 LCs Termies yet, but I will have those soon so I put those on the list.

Also a rule varification: I understand 5th is all about line of sight for models and shooting. I was wondering how this applied to forests. I remember you could shoot into them, out of them but not through them. Are you able to shoot through them now?

• 2 weeks later...
Forget Azrael, but take Ezekiel for sure; if he takes Thousand Sons you need a psychic hood to try and negate some of those powers. Give Ezekiel a command squad (now that they get feel no pain from an apothecary even his inferno bolts will do less damage) Ezekiel's Mind Worm power and his force weapon are a good antidote to the daemon prince. As a previous poster said, take heavy weapons of some kind to neutralise his rhinos (once his berserkers are foot slogging across the board you'll find that they disagree strongly with a bolter shell to the face). The terminators with Lightning Claws should go in the LRC (add an interrogator chaplain with termie armour if possible, Litanies of Hate on lightning claws works wonders) use these as a shock squad to assault his berserkers (berserkers are allergic to being charged). Take both dreadnoughts (any weapon setup is useful) and run two or three tactical squads with power weapons, plasma guns and any heavy weapon that ignores power armour. His infantry is what will do the most damage so it's them you should prioritise; his armour should be a secondary priority. Hope this helps brother.

Archived