The Imperial Palace

calgar101

Right so there is this (mad) topic on Warseer, some one wants to recreate the Siege of Terra in one single game. Whilst I'd love to do that and be involved in that game, it would take the full support of basically GW and every 40k player to pull that off. Here is a likn if you're interested, http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286656

His idea has however in a way inspired me to do a game like that of sorts. I want to make and play the battle around the Eternity gate of the siege, a fairly large Apocalypse game. However I've hit a stone wall in that I know next to nothing on what the Eternity gate actually looks like. For the walls around it I planed to pretty much get a load of bastions and put them together end to end much like this picture;

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs480.ash2/75345_176183932396445_172179092796929_667418_8206228_n.jpg

The pictures in this album http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5088...172179092796929 to me seem like what it could look like, although due to financial constraints I'd be working on a smaller scale. Any input would be great, thanks!

Edit- What I am asking is what does the Eternity gate and its surroundings look like? Is it the gate with the Warhounds? Any links to pictures would be great too.

As far as I know (and it's not much) the Eternity Gate is one of the gates leading from the palace to a nearby space port but I know of no such pictures to exist. The Titan one you're thinking of is a description ages ago of the gate leading into the Emperor's sanctum, with pair holding up the roof - though it's actually meant to be a pair of Warlords and not Hounds.

Depending on the scale, it might be easier to theme the board as a part of the top of the walls?

It's an awesome idea! But as you said, it would take a hell of a lot of doing. If I was to do it myself, I would play EPIC scale instead of 40k. I'd love to see something like that happen though :)

As for what it looks like, the only image I can think of or have seen before is this one:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/c/c3/Eternity_Gate.jpeg/250px-Eternity_Gate.jpeg

Lexicanum mentions two Imperial Titans, but is not specific as to what they are :P

That's the Eternity Gate indeed. One of those classics of 40K art.

There is another art piece, with the two Titans, and a pair of Custodes, but I'm not sure what that's supposed to represent, exactly. It's a great work of perception-boggling, though.

Lexicanum has a pretty good description of it, albeit a short one. I've always pictured the Imperial palace decorated with gold stone kind of like this, but obviously smoother and more defined in texture.

Check out the picture and information here. All the way atop that pyramid should be the Eternity Gate. What's cool to me is that that massive pyramid is inside such a MASSIVE structure. Pretty epic.

Edit: grammar

Ah Warlords well if they are not on the Eternity gates well that solves that issue. Thanks for your input Paladin, Aquilanus and Lexington; I'll reply to you all in one go. What I aim to create is an Apocalypse board at least 12x4 in size with a good 4x4 chunk of it taken up by the Eternity gate and surrounding fortress walls and fortress paraphernalia. I've read a description of sorts of the Eternity gate (I think), the bit of fluff regarding Sanguinius and Ka'Bandha, so there is a room for the board to have a large open expansive battle field covered in craters, trenches etc. I do not plan on doing the whole siege of Terra just one little feasible segment. My local club were on about creating a centre piece board and this could be it, the board then could be usable by our club and not just by me and a friend or two and the cost and time of making such a board would be reduced. From listening to the Lightning Tower I get the impression that the Palace and Fortress just roll into one, so I could build a line of bastions (like in the picture above) have two towers from the Fortress of Redemption kit as Gate houses (the Angels removed if possible) and then large piece of plasti card with appropriate details for the gate itself and then behind that cities of death terrain. Would that be an appropriate way of representing a small part of the Imperial Palace?

Edit- Thanks Zynk, I avoid Lexicanum a bit due to the possibilities of misinformation, the fortress walls for me would be grey but that colour would suit the inner buildings perfect.

From listening to the Lightning Tower I get the impression that the Palace and Fortress just roll into one, so I could build a line of bastions (like in the picture above) have two towers from the Fortress of Redemption kit as Gate houses (the Angels removed if possible) and then large piece of plasti card with appropriate details for the gate itself and then behind that cities of death terrain. Would that be an appropriate way of representing a small part of the Imperial Palace?

I think that would be wholly appropriate - especially after the shelling the place took.

Good luck on your masterpiece!

MR.

Here's a pic from the Battle of Eternity Gate that GW put together in believe in the late 90's. It's a bit small to see the detail in the miniatures, but should give you a good idea where to start.

gallery_11782_2783_260522.jpg

Hope this helps.

Eek! That's huge. If you make something on this scale, be sure to post pictures and send me a few plane tickets so I can game on the thing.

If I remember correctly, there are a bunch of banners(take bunch to mean a few thousand), so that might take some doing. I might try the Star Wars solution and have colored pieces of cloth in the rows that aren't in the front.

Even the Pic tha Ultra1k posted is nowhere as Big as the Eternity gate should Be I was thinking of Making a Scene involving Sanguinius and Kabaltha(sp as I need sleep) But then realised I would Have A couple of Minis Next to a Standard Wall of My House to get the Correct Scale... I'm still kinda tempted But I don't see the Landlord being Happy about it ^_^

It's an awesome idea! But as you said, it would take a hell of a lot of doing. If I was to do it myself, I would play EPIC scale instead of 40k. I'd love to see something like that happen though :cuss

As for what it looks like, the only image I can think of or have seen before is this one:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/c/c3/Eternity_Gate.jpeg/250px-Eternity_Gate.jpeg

Lexicanum mentions two Imperial Titans, but is not specific as to what they are :(

I thought that was the door to the Golden Throne room, think it's the eisenhorn omnibus describes it in this form,

IIRC, that is a picture of the eternity gate..

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the steps that lead up to the gate itself (i see it as more of a ramp, with standard human sized steps interspersed at long intervals), and on the walls are the banners of all the "extinct" units who gave their lives for the Emperor. Though, it probably has a good chunk of marine chapter banners as well, with a laundry list of their deeds.

But yeah, pics of this project.. seriously.

That's the Eternity Gate indeed. One of those classics of 40K art.

There is another art piece, with the two Titans, and a pair of Custodes, but I'm not sure what that's supposed to represent, exactly. It's a great work of perception-boggling, though.

It's the Golden Throne. And they are Ad-Mech not Titans, the Warhounds are out front as it were.

http://bloodofkittens.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/john_blanche_warhammer_002.jpg

Thanks all for your replies! What I want is to re-create a part of the palace, a section of the fortress walls with a gate; not necessarily a named part of the Palace. The Eternity gate from the looks of it is huge and the picture of GW's version rams home just how big on the table top it would be. From a practical point of view I can't do that as I'd have nowhere to store it. My original idea was to use bastions connected in two wall segments of 12x2x2 so 96 bastions in total! However even using online retailers for 25% discount this would cost £1300 just for them! I and if my club will get involved cannot afford that. The plan now would be to make the walls -which would be around 2-3 feet tall and about 6 inches thick- out of Styrofoam and then use a mixture of some bastions and Cities of Death Terrain to make buttresses/towers of some kind; have 3 on either wall, as tall as the wall itself but only three sides of the bastion facing outwards. The gate house itself would be partly comprised of the Tower section of the Fortress of Redemption kit, two of them -one on either side- on Styrofoam so the gate house is taller than the wall sections. Also the gate house section would be 1 foot in length and the two wall sections being 1 and a half foot long each; 4 foot in total.

At the foot of the wall between the bastion tower things (can't think of a better description) would be bunkers capable of holding troops (so removable lids) and with a gun of some sort; heavy bolter or lascannon and in total there would be 8 bunkers in total, 3 at the base of the walls and 2 at the base of each tower. The gate itself would have a simple Aquila design on the front. Then in the gap between the fortress walls and the table edge which would be 3 foot in length there would be lots of ruined buildings! Leading from the gate there would be a road measuring 1 foot long and 6 inches wide (well at least wide enough for a Baneblade to fit on) which would lead to a Plaza that would be 1 square foot. Obviously the road would have the odd crater, maybe a sand bag emplacement and perhaps a tank trap or two. The Plaza itself would be a paved area, a statue (most likely the Marine one) in the middle and then some sand bag emplacements around it. From there on buildings would fill the rest of the board, all on ply wood panels and with enough room to place models and to create alley ways. Sentry guns, tarantula guns, barricades of all types would fill some of the streets and some buildings would have gun emplacements. The majority of the buildings would be from the Basilica Administratum and Sanctum Imperialis sets to represent the Administrative side of Terra but there will be a sizable Shrine of the Aquila building and also in one corner some sort of energy plant made from some Manufactorum sets and other bits, after all something has to power the walls guns and shields.

As for the rest of the board well a few inches in front of the fortress will be a series of trench systems, 3 in total. Each will have 3-5 firing steps where 2 models may fire from (much like firing points from a rhino). The trenches would be cut from the Styrofoam board itself as this would be easier and cheaper than using the forge world sets, also four artillery pits would be dug between the trench lines.

Basically that is a rough overview of what I intend/would like to do. Whilst it will not be the Eternity gate itself it will still hopefully be an awesome project and end product. The Imperial Palace being so big I have an almost free reign to create a random bit of the outer fortress wall. Also it will not always be used as the Imperial Palace and would be used as some other Imperial fort.

Any ideas and input would greatly be welcomed.

Have you had a look at some of the scenery on Forgeworld for inspiration?

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk297/M777A2/WH%2040K%20Stuff/fortress.jpg

Ther used to be lots more pics of this monstrous piece of scenery on their site but not at the minute. At close to $1000 I cant see this as having been a big seller!!!!

Archived