Conversions, no idea where to begin

So, I admit it. I like, in theory, the idea of personalizing my army with conversions, but the prospect is extremely intimidating to me. I would almost say "frightening", if it weren't silly to be afraid of handling plastic miniatures. Still, I am not a very creative person, so while I am dazzled by the ingenuity many people show with their own work, I doubt my own ability to ever make a conversion look good. Nevertheless, I have to buck up and do it sometime, unless I want to restrict myself to only what comes in the kits for a given model.

Is there any advice experienced kitbashers can offer me? How do I make something my own, in spite of the fact that I have almost zero creativity?

First, watch a great deal of fantasy and science fiction combat scenes. Now imagine your marines being that awesome.

Now see what bits you have, and what you can kitbash or hack apart to give them the coolest weapons to do the coolest stuff possible. It's how I roll, and it's given me a great deal of success.

At first don´t be too afraid to try it. Even if your first conversion looks like crap, you will become better and better. we all have learned our lessen that way.

If you have a basic idea what you wanna do with your marines post it. I´m sure you will get a lot of tips what to use, hot to do it, where to get the bits and so on.

When converting, unless you have a very defined picture you want to copy or an idea which is crystal clear... just go with what you feel is cool and appealing.

Things done with gusto turn out quite better than those planned.

Kitbashing is probably the simplest way to convert: just get those bits and pieces you don't use and save "for further on"... the moment has come to use them!

I think firstly you need to have a think about what you would like to change to personalise the minis.

Firstly, what chapter are you working on? That will help to give us some idea of whether your marines would suit certain types of style/pose.

Next, what tools do you have available to do the work? With this in mind we can offer you suggestions & advice on the 'how'.

Finally, don't be afraid of failure. Only through trial and error will you improve.

to the comments above I would also add: keep your knife sharp and have blue-tack handy"

A sharp knife is your best friend for ensuring you get the part you want from the sprue...even if you only want a piece of a part...say that plasma gun muzzle or melta barrel. side cutters are nice and all, but a sharp knife cant be beat.

Blue-tack is highly useful to assemble a model without glueing it and finalizing. it is so much easier to alter appearances when using blue tack then when using glue.

I would also add my one rule of conversions: "finish what you start" again, this is why blue-tack is important. I always recommend that no matter how bad you think the piece is coming out, you should at least complete the assembly and see the whole model. this goes doubly when working with greenstuff or trying sculpting in any way. by completing what you start you begin to see and define your view of perfect (or at least good) models. the best teacher is the last mistake

Start with something simple.

I think some of the best conversions are subtle, you don't need to glue on 4 extra arms for the conversion to be cool, some of the best conversions look like they're ''Out of the box.''

Check out stuff. The Work in progress section of the B&C forums is a great place to look. Look at Warhammer blogs where the author does conversions. I've run a couple conversion challenges that got some truely stunning results. Check those out:

Challenge 1 : In this challenge, the participants were required to use Cronus' torso in the conversion. You can see some really inventive uses for it.

Challenge 2: This challenge people had to use Lysander's body.

Challenge 3: This one the requirement was to build a model that would represent Mephiston

As you can see we came up with interisting ideas. None of the conversions are particularly difficult, they just took some planning.

Thanks for the pointers, guys. I'm definitely going to try what Sasha mentioned, as that is one of my biggest deterrents right now: I don't want to ruin something which would, without my meddling, be a usable piece for my army. I guess that ultimately, it's going to be just like painting was, where I will have to jump in feet-first and learn as I go.

Don't know if this is an option for you but if you have a particularly artsy friend or maybe know someone who has taken art classes they are a great asset. First they won't poke fun at your hobby as I'm sure they've met people with stranger art mediums. And second their ideas on maintaining scale and which poses are most natural is very helpful. Also I'd like to reiterate buying a squad specifically to butcher your way through your first conversions. That said there are simple ones you can do like cutting the left hand off a bolter marine and turning it over so it looks like he's bracing against recoil that look very good and don't require practice to perfect.

I guess that ultimately, it's going to be just like painting was, where I will have to jump in feet-first and learn as I go.

Make sure you start with simple projects, something like a weapon swap or using GS to fill a gap on a model. Once you feel more confident about your ability then you can move onto more complex conversions.

I'd also suggest you invest in a pin drill, if you are adding parts to a model which weren't built to fit, then you will need to pin to keep everything well held.

Here's a good article on pinning from the Librarium, though if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

looks good. nice and simple :)

my advice would be to get comfortable using greenstuff. then start using it as much as you can in simple things, then build up your experience levels from there.

• 3 weeks later...

My advice, especially when using a sharp modelling knife, as suggested above, would be to keep some plasters (bandaids) handy. A sharp knife is of course essential, but if it slips it can very easily open your thumb up. I've actually started wearing a plaster on my thumb as a precautionary measure when doing any serious converting/modelling, because otherwise the blood flow is inevitable for me.

:(

Archived