Neophyte conversion WIP

Brother Joseph

I really like the middle left guy, I think it has a nice Templarish feel to it armour and tabard/cloak wise. Never was keen on the Quilted armour for 40k, but a good paint job can cover over a fair few things. Not too sure about the helmets either but thats something that has always plagued my vision of a Neophyte... their heads.

I think the proportions work nicely and that if that the style you are looking for then you have just found your neophytes.

The shields however, I am going to steal... they are the perfect design with the studs/rivets to match Crusader and Iron armour and will paint up nicely as Storm Shields I think. They are just the normal Bretonnian shields?

Cheers

Dono

The fellow without the shield really does look like he belongs in a Templar force. The other two are alright, but not quite as spot on. The only issue I can see is that the arms are a bit long: may be better to cut a bit further from the elbow when detaching scout hands in the future.

Agreed with FP and Dono, the guy without a sheild I pretty good, but like I said in your other thread they aren't really my thing not SM enough. The sheilds don't really work I'm sorry to say, look a bit awkward. Maybe somthing smaller like the sheilds from the empire state troops or not at all. Also just to be picky, the fattish guy wuldnt really be in a SM force of anykind.

Currently in the middle of mine right now. Never used scouts..well the plastic ones, finding them very strange for some reason.

I agree with my Brothers here. The middle left guy looks great, the others not as good. The guy on the far right would never be a space marine. Neophytes/Scouts are still Space Marines in every way except one. They don't have the Black Carapace that allows them to interface with a suit of Power Armor. That's why they wear scout armor instead. They may not be as skilled in weapons as full space marines, but that's why they are scouts to learn and become better at such things. They are still extremely fit and muscular.

So some suggestions.

Drop the fat guy, he doesn't fit in with a Marine Army.

As Firepower said the arms are slightly too long, though I must say I didn't notice it until he mentioned it, so pehaps just a little more shaving and it will be good.

I'm not a big fan of the shields. I like them from a Brettonian standpoint, but I think they might be too big for 40K. They are bigger than the normal storm shields, though fluff wise they are covered in a power field. It seems a bit much for a model with only a 4+ save, that's all.

As was said the heads are a bit odd for SM, perhaps use the SM Scout heads instead?

I agree with our brethren that the non-shield guy looks the best, though I must say I do like the idea of our neophytes carrying shields into battle, becuase let's face it, they are really just meat-shields for our Initiates anyways. Gives a bit of a through back to knights with shield bearers. Though, I think a different set of shields might look a bit more BT.

-Marshal Hadda

If I may make a couple of suggestions. The scout bolt pistols always seemed a bit out of scale because of the silencer and scope. I trimmed the silencer off of mine just before the end of the barrel and shaved it down. As it is now the gun is as big as his torso. If you have left over kettle hat helmet or head with one, try shaving the brim down to the base so it looks like a band. I think that will look more like a Norman Spangenhelm.

Keep up the cool converting!

yea the fat guy was in there cause he comes on the sprue and i have tons of bits. tried to hide him behind a shield but he will probably be used in my brothers D&D games. as for the shields i fell in love with the templars because of the whole knights in space and i think the shields tie them in closer to that. also with the quilted armor it looks like a 5+ so i thought adding shields would help to blur the lines between what theyre actually wearing.

as for the arm length and mold lines. after looking at them in morning (they were built and posted late last night) i agree on both counts. as for size ive always thought it a bit ridiculous that a scout is the same size as a marine. physically they are the same size but one is wearing power armor. and unless it got real thin since i last read there should be a bigger difference in the size.

yea the fat guy was in there cause he comes on the sprue and i have tons of bits. tried to hide him behind a shield but he will probably be used in my brothers D&D games. as for the shields i fell in love with the templars because of the whole knights in space and i think the shields tie them in closer to that. also with the quilted armor it looks like a 5+ so i thought adding shields would help to blur the lines between what theyre actually wearing.

Fair enough, I think they are still a little big though.

though I must say I do like the idea of our neophytes carrying shields into battle, becuase let's face it, they are really just meat-shields for our Initiates anyways

This is hilarious and it didn't occur to me until now, but having a shield of some kind would be funny as they are just meat shields! :D

as for the arm length and mold lines. after looking at them in morning (they were built and posted late last night) i agree on both counts. as for size ive always thought it a bit ridiculous that a scout is the same size as a marine. physically they are the same size but one is wearing power armor. and unless it got real thin since i last read there should be a bigger difference in the size.

True, but is anything in 40K really to scale? 10 guys in Rhino? 15 guys in a LRC? Guardsmen that aren't much shorter than 8 foot Marines(w/Power Armor)? So having Neo's that are about the same size as Initiates doesn't bother me so much.

Archived