quick painting question

Glitch85

I'd use a white foundation. Painting the heads separately from the bodies helps as well...

So, when that foundation has dried, I wash the helmet with Gryphonne Sepia, these are the basic shadows.

Then, I'd paint the yellow on. In my case, it's Vallejo Sun Yellow, which is an equivalent to GW Sunburst Yellow, but the tone doesn't matter. Just keep it thin and paint it in several layers, just don't cover the recesses, 'cause you'd want them to remain a bit darker so you've got some shading there.

I highlight with a mix of Sun(burst) Yellow and Skull White, keep the edges sharp and you're done. If you want to shade further, try a thinned wash of Dark Flesh, and paint it into the recesses, that's what I do at least. ^^

Well, there are many ways to paint yellow, even from a black foundation, but I prefer a bright yellow...of course, it's up to you in the end. <_<

Snorri

ive been priming in grey and then done a coat of iyaden darksun, when ive been trying to put the yellow over this it just seems to go on not very good, I do thin my paints down but I find the paint pools in all the recesses

ive been priming in grey and then done a coat of iyaden darksun, when ive been trying to put the yellow over this it just seems to go on not very good, I do thin my paints down but I find the paint pools in all the recesses

Yes, that's typical for yellow. If you want to prime the helmets grey and then iyanden darksun, mix your bad moon yellow with that foundation coulour and do several layers again. For every layer you paint, increase the amount of yellow in the mix.

I still think that a white foundation is the best way to get a nice and bright yellow, but grey and iyanden darksun is also a possible way.

Snorri

In Fantasy, my ogre army's colors are black and yellow. So I paint a lot of yellow.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/1/10/171685_sm-.JPG

This stuff changed my life so much I'm actually considering building a squad of Lamenters.

Those aren't my fingers, by the way; just a picture I found on Google.

In Fantasy, my ogre army's colors are black and yellow. So I paint a lot of yellow.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/1/10/171685_sm-.JPG

This stuff changed my life so much I'm actually considering building a squad of Lamenters.

Those aren't my fingers, by the way; just a picture I found on Google.

agreed this paint is great for assault helmets. it also give a fealing of battle worn and not shiny/new.

I have a question. You had mentioned that the paint is pooling, does it leave tide marks as well? I don't know how you hold the model when you paint but I do know that if you are holding it in your hand sometime the oils from skin get on the model and then mess up the paint job. Usually tide marks occur on the helmets, knee pads, and shoulder pads. You can solve that problem by scrubbing the model down before you paint it and then don't touch it when you paint it. That one step is so crucial to getting a good paint job and it is so easy to do.

As far as painting yellow goes I am a big fan of using snakebite leather and going from there. The yellow ink idea sounds pretty good to as I still have some. I don't like the shine you get from the old inks but that is easily fixed with some dull coat.

Starting from brown will give you a warmer yellow and starting from gray will make it colder. Iyanden is good as well since it coats so nicely and can be mixed with other shades of yellow to get the color started. Thin layers will help you to get the effect you are looking for.

Obey the Emperor.

Here is my recipe:

Iyanden Darksun basecoat followed by Gryphonne Sepia wash.

Clean the Iyanden Darksun again.

Layer Bleached bone.

Highlight with skull white.

Dilluted yellow ink 1:1 with water.

And this is the result:

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/3782/asm4.jpg

Archived