Chtonia, Horus, and Qruze - major discrepancy in continuity

Midgard

There was geneseed before the Primarchs were recovered. Thats how the Emperor created each legion. The geneseed doesn't come directly from the Primarchs, but was created using left overs and knowledge from the primarch project, with each legion using the material from their corresponding Primarch.

More to the point, Astartes did fight in the final stages of the unification wars. And it wasn't at all clear how long after "unification" (which other books make clear wasnt a cut and dried milestone) the story "The Last Church" occurred. Or indeed how long there between the nominal end of the unification wars and the commencement of the great crusade.

Indeed there was geneseed before the Primarchs were recovered but there was not Geneseed before they were created and the Emperor created the Primarchs just after the Unification Wars.

And it was Thunder Warriors that battled in the Unification Wars, very early Astartes, but flawed until the Emperor could perfect his creation.

When I read it, I just assumed that Cthonia was close enough to Terra that some of ther troops had been involved in the Unification Wars at the very end stages, probably about the same time that true Astartes were being created. It mentions in the Index Astartes article on the Black Legion that Cthonia was within non-Warp-travel distance of Terra, so there may have been some communication between the two, even with the intense warp storms. This means that either Horus fought at the very end of the Unification Wars or was discovered shortly after (aybe after the Emperor visited Cthonia for the first time).

In its favour, the early technology may explain why Qruze is acting his age, although the books seem to suggest it is probably attitude more than old age. Also, if the Emperor knew Horus while he was still a child, he must have found him very early on, as Primarchs seem to reach maturity incredibly quickly, so it makes some logic that he was on a planet already known to the fledgling Imperium. Against this, there's some doubt about when the primarchs were created in relation to the Unification Wars, and all of my thoughts are pure supposition.

Most probably, there is a mistake in there, and one of the 'facts' may alter in later books, like the Garro audio books, but I like to try to think of ways to pull the threads together when possible (get a little anoyed when people say the ideas are stupid, but it seems obvious to me that they should logically be the way suggested).

But here is something for you in The Last Church it is just after the Unification Wars and the Emperor has not created the Primarchs at this point so how did Iacton serve in the Unification wars if he was already part of the Legion, because at this point there would have been no geneseed to create the legions

I think the Primarchs had been created and then lost by that point.

But I'm pretty sure that Qruze is a Terran.

Horus Rising did specify that Horus was not raised on Cthonia:

"Though Horus had not been raised on Cthonia – uncommonly, for a primarch, he had not matured on the cradle-world of his Legion – he spoke it fluently."

False God's then did explicitly say he was "Raised on Cthonia"

Of course the first was what Loken thought and the latter what Horus thought.. its possible that Horus was raised on Cthonia and that the legion was told otherwise.. or else its a case of the authors not collaborating closely enough..

Horus landed on Cthonia and lived there for some time, The Emperor arrived before he matured and raised him personally. That explanation solves the problem of him landing on Cthonia, yet faking the accent.

The chapter 'The Last Cthonian' refering to Qruze is a probably reference towards him being the only one who was around at the origin of the Legion who still holds the original values of a Cthonian after the Legion turns. He is metaphorically the last Cthonian, not literally.

Those two explanations seem to solve the issues raised in this thread, without reading the book though since I don't have it with me at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

In Horus Rising, Qruze is described as being a Terran who remembers the Luna Wolves before Horus was rediscovered, however in Galaxy in Flames, he refers to Cthonia as the planet of his birth and is described as a Cthonian warrior, referring to himself as being part of one of the 'gangs of killers' on Cthonia.

Qruze is also noted as using the Unity salute rather than the Aquila and I think it is stated that he fought in the Unification Wars. Would it be possible for someone to fight in the Unification Wars and then, sometime later, become an Astartes? I could be missing or misremembering something, of course.

The real issue is that these two statements about Qruze's origins do contradict each other, although it is possible to resolve them, with effort.

Archived