Glues

H4L

At work today I had some free time and spent it researching glues, I’m just wondering what else other use their glues for (and tricks!)

PVA (Polyvinyl acetate) Glue, AKA Carpenters Glue/Wood Glue.

Great for porous surfaces. Cures by dehydration. Low rigidity. Medium gap filling properties, though generally shrinks as it dries. If used as a gap filler, excess can be filed away. PVA will not stick to dry PVA.

Curing can be enhanced (faster and stronger) by addition of low dry heat. Excess heat can cause cracking and thus lower overall strength.

Cyanoacrylate’s, AKA Super Glue.

Instant contact adhesion. Low shear strength. Can be used with baking soda as a space filler. Cures in the presence of moisture.

Curing can be enhanced at higher temperatures and humidity (taking a shower). Excess water before initial set can cause poor performance.

Plastic Cement

Only useful for polystyrene (some other plastics as well). Solvent for plastic that evaporates, not an actual glue (can be viewed as melting the surrounding plastic, as the solvent evaporates the plastic reforms).

Lower temperatures can increase time you have to work with, while higher temperatures will help the solvent evaporate.

Is part of dry errase markers, has anyone tried using one of those markers for quick touch ups?

Gorilla Glue

Similar to PVA glue but curing is done by presence of water

Enhanced curing with humidity.

Somewere, I remember someone used PVA glue as a matt varnish sort of thing, to keep his models from scratching up from constant gaming, but i haven't tried this.

I currently use PVA glue as a space filler for medium size (between arm and shoulder) and minor gaps. There is always a little left on the side I need to sand off, but when it dries its generally fairly clear, but tan colored.

I am using a yellow wood glue, do you know if they were using the "white" PVA glue and if this created that effect? I like to gloss over certain things; engine outputs, that part on the plasma gun that is generally painted blue, or anything that emits light.

I went out and bought a 120 watt full spectrum light just so I could see true color so that slight tan tint for me wouldnt be acceptable ;p

At work today I had some free time and spent it researching glues, I’m just wondering what else other use their glues for (and tricks!)

Cyanoacrylate’s, AKA Super Glue.

Instant contact adhesion. Low shear strength. Can be used with baking soda as a space filler. Cures in the presence of moisture.

Curing can be enhanced at higher temperatures and humidity (taking a shower). Excess water before initial set can cause poor performance.

Baking soda also acts as an accelerant. Forget the ZipKick, it is another chemical you dont need to be spraying on yourself/breathing.

were i read it, the guy used an extremly thin layer of clear PVA glue, which basically protected the paint, but didn't obscure it in any noticable way.

But i must say, your gap filling idea has me mightily intrigued, I might try it out sometime if you don't mind being stolen from :ermm:

were i read it, the guy used an extremly thin layer of clear PVA glue, which basically protected the paint, but didn't obscure it in any noticable way.

But i must say, your gap filling idea has me mightily intrigued, I might try it out sometime if you don't mind being stolen from ;)

only if you can help me improve on the method ;p

I currently use either a brush (larger gaps) or a toothpick to apply the glue. I then clean the excess with again toothpicks or cotton ear swab things (Q-Tips)

On the ABR models there are fairly large gaps on the DeffKopta and I used that to fill in most. I'll post some pics tonight.

Archived