Sons of Malice: The Anarchist's Fist Warband

hushrong

not only are the minis fantastic but those pseudo-IA articles are entertaining too. great work!
very nice work dude :D

Thanks guys! As for the bits of fluff and stories I wanted to add some character to my Sons of Malice. Since the army is so small I thought giving them a name and perhaps some background will give them more character. One marine is basically a walking legend(whether Traitor or Loyalist) from the lives they live and the battles they fought. Unfortunately that feeling is lost when a marine is simply a few points in an army.

Brother Melic & Mr. Malevolent: Thanks for the tips and continued advice.

Pictured below, with poor lighting, are three of the Sons. The son on the left has his black undercoat, silver trim painted & washed, and the parts to be quartered white had been done in Codex Grey. I will not use the Codex Grey anymore and instead use Fortress Grey as it is lighter. Sorry for not being clear earlier. I do basecoat with black but I paint grey over the parts I paint a lighter color. (in my first pic you can see them prepped, Hister in the middle has white but it looks grey for some reason)

My main problem was the white itself. Right out of the pot and watered down to a milk-like consistency, it gave me problems. I had seen a tutorial where a person painted his white over black by using grey, then wash with badab black, and then add several thin layers of watered down white. I just couldn't copy, as shown in earlier pics, because he used it for smaller parts of a mini and not on large parts of the body like the Termie shoulder pad.

So right now for white, that you will see on the son on the right, is going back to how I did my mini of Hister who had a fairly good paint job. I am mixing in a little bit of Fortress Grey with the Skull White. So it is still white but not as "bright" but it goes on very smoothly. If you look at the shoulder pad of the son on the right, you can see it is smooth and that was only a four coats of the mixed paints

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010314.jpg

The son in the middle was one with the lumpy paint job. I will try to paint a few coats to even it out as best as I can (I already started when i was working on Fovvus and Nostras). I really do not want to paint strip him and his other semi-painted brother at this moment.

I think I am heading in the direction with this.

Don't worry, you will get a hang of it, just keep at it...

What I suggested was to gradually mix white in whatever base color, be it grey or any of the browns, and in smooth coats apply to the model, lightening the next layer with more white...

I like the finish on the guy to the right. Making progress!

I like the finish on the guy to the right. Making progress!

The one on the right has been coming along greatly thanks to the mixing of fortress grey and skull white. As you can see, it is coming out white and smooth.

I don't know if you care, but the way I do white is starting with Graveyard Earth and Codex Grey mix, and then gradually adding more white until it's basically just Skull White with a spot of Graveyard Earth/Codex Grey mix in it.

That is an interesting mix. I will have to take a look at some of your painted Sons after this to see the result.

Well, I did some painting but not too much for my Sons. Did some basing for Iron Warriors, a Malal warrior of the Old World, a san. guard, and a marine of a bigger stature.

So to start this off, an updated army pic (it can also be seen on post one):

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010319.jpg

some notes:

-Need biker bases for the "wolves" since they are fast attack under the SW Dex.

-I might use an altered version of the Termie Sorcerer helm for Geor. I don't like the spikes AND the bloodletter horns on the same mini.

-I need to get a real lightbox instead of going ghetto and using a model kit box and white book paper.

So the only real work I have done for the Sons was some metal work on Nostras and a bit more white on him.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010321.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010322.jpg

Really happy with the way he is shaping up!

Now I mentioned earlier that I had an idea for a side project. Mostly, it resulted from the constant viewing of :: Legion at Rhisienne :: by Migsula. I love all of the thought that went into the making of his force and I like the idea of =][=munda. Not to mention the mind-blowing minis. So I have been thinking that I would like to get into this as well. Skirmish level battles, lots of story and narratives, and characterful minis seems to be the way for me to go since I hardly get to wage war on a table with a standard army. This Way I spend more time working on a handful of minis and working on fluff. So..first off, I wanted to make the biggerised marine. I will be honest and say that I never had an eye for larger scaled conversions but his work had me drooling.

so, with a scrapped Loyalist terminator I made this:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010323.jpg

*these aren't Sons of Malice...I know...

So, I know I can make decent marines for this project if I gather the materials. *this Alpharius would have looked a lot better if I had not rushed the building and painting but excitement had me going to get it done quick.

My main deal is how to make a force. I need to see if there any good & established rules for Imunda otherwise I will have no Idea what to do. Right now, with just some good old fashioned imagination, I am thinking that I will either go with a small squad of SoM or a few Sons with followers akin to migsula's force. Having just Astartes in the force seems like a logical way to go as I do not think that they(the SoM) would go around gathering cultists. That is something a Word Bearer would spend time on. But this will be costly I think (a squad of 10 will cost $100 at least) and sadly my money tree is mostly used for junk like groceries, fuel, tuition, bills, etc.

The other idea is to use cultists. But I have a hard time reckoning with this. Two forces that make great use of mortals are the Word Bearers and the Alpha Legion. The WB seem to use mortal for distractions, human shields(in battle sacrifices), and for more souls to offer up to their Dark Gods. The AL use their mortals with a lot of finesse to the point that they seem comparable to something like a stormtrooper(elite/Spec-BlackOps). I really just cannot think of how a Son would use a Cultist.

some ideas I had were:

-Followers for Malal (since he leeches off of his followers like a parasite, the Sons could get human worshiper to "feed" Him and keep Him from leeching off their ranks)

-Combat other cultists (Malal cultists would go about attacking other cults who worship the other Dark Gods since the SoM and Malal hate the other forces of Chaos)

-To spread Anarchy using the "lower classes" of the IoM (basically, they could use mortals who are downtrodden and feel betrayed to cause massive riots and rebellions to cause havoc among loyalist forces...but this seems like something the AL do)

These are some ideas and if you have any to share that would be great!

I totally see the Sons of Malice using cultists. Depending on one's view of the legion however, as I see them structured more egalitarian due to the nature of Malal. Thus they would use humans in much the same way as the Alpha Legion does, as valued members of the legion which fulfill the roles that astartes can not, such as infiltrating a world for any reason from sparking rebellion to securing supply lines from the local underground mafia/crime gang. If I ever get round to it that's definitely how I would model and fluff-explain them. But I guess your Sons aren't really the same as mine :D

MagicMan: =][=munda is a mash up of Inquisitor and Necromunda. These are games I am more interested in playing for the Fluff and RPG value (as well as the Old World counterpart Mordheim). So far, this is the best source of home-brewed rules/stats/etc =][=munda Redux.

Goose: I honestly have a hard time seeing the Sons using cultists with great concern for the mortals or even planning complex and intricate actions in conjunction with said mortals. I will get into more detail later in the post. The Alpha Legion are on a bar that I do not think other Astartes can reach in regards to their skill and use of cultists and operatives (this is mostly me idolizing of them). The Sons of Malice are from a very brutal, feral world so I believe them to be more savage than anything. Confrontation was face to face with teeth grinning, crude weapon in hand, and war paint adorned to strike fear into their foe. With my thought on this, I do not think they would have time to develop a deep use for espionage. The closest to being stealthy could be from hunting, and this idea I am using for the Power Armored SoM of my warband. I also had thought that the SoM would be greatly unified, since they were all betrayed, but I highly doubt this now. Their worship of Malal is self-destructive as "Malal was the embodiment of Chaos' indiscriminate tendency toward destruction, even of itself and its own agents." Being a Son of Malice was to hate Chaos, the Imperium that betrayed you, and even your own brother if they got in your way (look at Labyrinth).

*I enjoy the topic of the Sons and Malal because there is no definite fluff for them and they can be flexible to a reasonable degree. A blessing and a curse haha.

Sheer horror haunted her thoughts as she was being dragged away. Her face numbed from the electrical shock and her left arm was bleeding wildly. The last thing she saw from the dim lighted bridge was the eerie and imposing silhouette of Master Hahfi.

Crewman Denese asked her compatriots where they were taking her and all they said was to silence herself. She began to beg them frantically as they carried her away. Her pleas echoed off the metal walls until one of them knocked her out cold. They did what was best for her.

She awoke on the freezing metal slab. As her vision adjusted to the haze she realized where she was, the medicae deck. Her heart stopped.

Sitting upright she head turned quickly to see around. The expansive room was empty save for the bubbling vats, servitors, and several slabs covered in cloths. The medicae was the brightest lit room she had seen since she had been aboard the massive vessel. Not even what passed for her quarters had this much light.

Finally her senses caught up to her as she felt a thousand stings piercing her left arm and hand. She saw what had happened, that her hand had been cut to ribbons. The blast from her panel had cut deep parallel lines as though her arm was continuously sliced by a razor. Someone had sprayed something on it to stop the bleeding but it and a burning sensation began to fire up.

Denese couldn’t flex her hand. She began to sweat out of fear. Without two working hands she was useless. The fire sustained from the enemy ship overloaded the panels at her station and used her arm to block. If the blast could have killed her she knew that would have been an easier way out.

Pistons hissed as the massive doors to the medicae opened and the steps of a walking Demi-God echoed from the metal deck.

Never had she felt terror like this in her life. Crewman Denese feared what her future could be because those who were useless never survived aboard the Screaming King.

So I have been doing some work this week, but my new courses are eating up a lot of my time at the University.

*I am using the B&C image-hosting function and giving it a shot.

gallery_55057_5673_899185.jpg

Finally started building my Land Raider Crusader. Only the interior is glued to the vehicles right side shown here and two parts of the A-cannon turret (I really love that thing). I don't think it is going to be too fancy but I wanted to paint up the interior detail since I paid a pretty penny for this. One interesting thing to note is that one well placed rocket through the front-opening hatch can take out the engine block of this beast.

Has anyone ever defiled the Aquila before? I guess I will either take a knife to it or just file it off completely. It is on the upper hatch shwon in between the two larger LR parts.

I also started painting my first wolf. I think the upper half will be quartered black and white while the lower half will be metallic. I am just debating where exactly I will be quartering the wolves at on this mini shown. *the side now shown only has the left leg down with fortress grey.

---

So I have been thinking about the use of human/mortal cultists, operatives, and slaves among the traitor legions. These simplified ideas stem from novels that BL has produced.

Alpha Legion- Operatives

Word Bearers- Slaves & "soldiers"

Iron Warriors- Slaves & "soldiers"

Black Legion- Slaves & "soldiers"?

Night Lords- Slaves

Emperor's Children- Soldiers?

Thousand Sons, Death Guard, World Eaters- No idea. Slaves possibly?

I am honestly leaning toward a Word Bearer means of employing cultists. They are a cheap and plentiful means to spread anarchy and cause disorder for the Sons of Malice. If one or a dozen are slaughtered it wouldn't mean much to the SoM. The core of the Warband will be the Astartes themselves, the Leader being a character I am leaning toward naming Karnak (after the temple). The heroes will be the other Astartes and the grunts will be the expendable mortals.

Karnak and his brothers (from some undisclosed SoM company) arrive on worlds that are decently populated and through acts of sorcery they begin to form the basis of the Cult of Skulls (as the Inquisition knows it). Karnak and the others scout out the worlds they are in from the shadow for forces of the Imperium and Chaos. manipulating the mortals, Karnak orders them to attack discovered enemies. Enemy cults are attacked and pdf/adeptus arbites/adeptus sororitas are assailed by the cultists. Any kills made by the mortals are proven by taking the head of their enemies(hence the name of the cult). I am favoring the idea that these mortals do not know what god they worship(or just know him as the renegade god) and possibly they do not even see the astartes in the beginning. their orders could be conveyed by supernatural means brought about by sorcery. I do like the idea that the mortals do not know of malal...but I am thinking that the astartes would end up fighting alongside the mortals at later points.

Will have to spend more time thinking on this.

Thanks for stopping by and hope your eyes aren't tired from the reading.

Fair enough :P it's your army. But to be fair, we don't know what kind of a world the Alpha Legion come from so saying they're from a feral world is no justification for their being dicky lol I mean Azrael Grand Master of the Dark Angels is from a savage and feral world and he's, well, the Chapter Master of the Dark Angels and a brilliant tactician.

And I see it this way that, the relationship between Malal and his followers is a much more egalitarian one than the other Gods. Khorne, Slaneesh, Tzeentch and Nurgle, they don't really care if you die or suffer under them, as long as you kill in their name. The only ones that actually benefit from their patronage are those evil and monstrous enough to destroy and slaughter/infect/trick/torture more than anyone else; thus legions and chapters that serve those Gods become that way themselves, where it's a constant struggle to be top-dog and nobody is ever safe, even from your supposed "brothers." They become more like a rabble of Orks and less like an organised army. However, Malal treats all his followers well and imbues them with supernatural powers, be you Space Marine, mortal or an ogre. Thus chapters that follow him would also follow his way of treating friends/allies/brothers etc, at least within the same warband. Is my theory anyway :)

Sorry for the wall of text again ;)

Sons of Horus: Thanks bud! I think I will paint it quartered like the rest of the SoM. I have seen a few vehicles painted in the quartered fashion and they came out pretty nice.

Sorry for the wall of text again

First off, no need to apologize Goose, a discussion like this is a rare gem in my opinion. If you google Sons of Malice, you find most of the same facts like "they are cannibals, colors are quartered black and white, and they are worshipers of Malal" and then there is Malal-Lives. Other than that...there is not much else since little exist anyways for them. So a discussion, debate, and random theories regarding the Sons and their God is, and will always be, welcomed.

And I see it this way that, the relationship between Malal and his followers is a much more egalitarian one than the other Gods. Khorne, Slaneesh, Tzeentch and Nurgle, they don't really care if you die or suffer under them, as long as you kill in their name.

I too think that there is a stronger bond between Malal and the Sons.

-They appear to be his greatest followers if not the only ones (there is nothing concrete regarding any other followers except a bit on Malal-Lives that mentions Scelus tribesmen and turncoat guardsmen fighting alongside them).

-

In Labyrinth, the entity "Malice" is brought into this material plain. I view it simply as Malal being brought into reality, by sacrifice, and leading the SoM in reclamation of Scelus. *I have a quote for Geor that states "Our God walks amongst us!" which would be part of a litany, and an insult to chaos followers whose gods only reside on their daemon-worlds. I personally like the idea that a God actually comes into existence to fight with His warriors.

*Highlight to reveal spoilers regarding the short story Labyrinth for those who have yet to read it.

-I can't remember where, perhaps on Malal-Lives again, it mentions that followers of Malal are loners. So, there would be fewer in number but once again, that only means a stronger bond between a follower and their god. This is in stark contrast to a god like Khorne who has millions uttering his praise on a battlefield, and as you stated, he probably wouldn't show interest in a lot of them.

With these notes, formed for myself, I see a strong bong between Malal and His Sons. However, I think that the common plagues of betrayal and distrust of any other CSM force can still be present between the followers in regards to one another. So among the Sons of Malice themselves, there could be dislikes of one brother to another that could lead to bloodshed and thoughts of betrayal to garner more power for oneself, but I do not think it would be rampant. I think however there would be a greater rift between a Malal worshiping astartes and a human worshiper. Many traitor astartes have deemed themselves superior to mortals in almost EVERY warband, chapter, and legion. They are essentially slaves to be used.

I think my future Sons (who are of no known warband/company) will have the same mindset regarding cultists under their control. * If i do make this force, I think the cultists will be given hoods that cover their face, sort of like the one a hangman would wear. This would emphasize that the cultists are nothing but faceless and nameless servants. (Idea came from reading G.I. Joe: Hearts and Minds about Cobra.)

Khorne, Slaneesh, Tzeentch and Nurgle, they don't really care if you die or suffer under them, as long as you kill in their name. The only ones that actually benefit from their patronage are those evil and monstrous enough to destroy and slaughter/infect/trick/torture more than anyone else; thus legions and chapters that serve those Gods become that way themselves, where it's a constant struggle to be top-dog and nobody is ever safe, even from your supposed "brothers." They become more like a rabble of Orks and less like an organised army.

I do have to counter this with stating the Legions of the Word Bearers and Black Legion. All four gods are worshiped by their troops and all manners of corruption can be found amongst their ranks, but each are a formidable force that contains sufficient organizational structures. It is even more impressive because not all the Gods are exactly friends with one another. The Word Bearers are highly unified and the Black Legion is built upon so many different forces(sort of like an evil version of the UN) and similar subjects like hatred towards ones brother and betrayal are a constant threat but they still hold together and when summoned, they form a deadly force capable of crushing worlds. I honestly would have to say this is far from a rabble of orks whose Waaaagh's back was broken.

There is some truth in your statement that worship of the dark gods have led to disassembling of organizational structure. Skalathrax being the site of a superb example. Long story short, the World Eaters Legion is broken into numerous warbands. Even their foe at the time, the Emperor's Children, become segmented into warbands. SO their worship led to a collapse of their legions organization, but they are still formidable. Even more so if led by a dangerous and cunning champion.

The Sons of Malice are honestly no different. They are chaos space marines and worship a chaos god. Not only that, but their god is all about anarchy and terror. In regards to the underlined portion of your quote, I think this a a tragic realization of the Sons and their possible future. Their God is all about self-destruction, anarchy, hatred for chaos, and so much more that could tear the Sons apart if they truly emulate Malal.

I have also mentioned Labyrinth and it contains two characters and each kind of form from both of our ideas. One is seeming 'friendly' while the other is bitter. However, this short story is not, in my opinion, the best source to draw too much character of the SoM from. I think it is good for the set up of the Labyrinth and the story of what the Sons do and why they do it. Other than that I do not draw too much from it. It may just be the authors writing but I did not feel much connection to anything else in his work.

Malal treats all his followers well and imbues them with supernatural powers, be you Space Marine, mortal or an ogre.

Where is this bit about supernatural powers granted by Malal from?

-I myself thought of the parasitic nature of Malal could be both damaging but beneficial. When it is mentioned that he leeches from his followers, I would imagine that skin will lose their color and their form beginning to thin (which is common with people who are ill and under the weather), but the Sons and their enhanced forms would gain strength much like the Legion of the Damned (the more they decay they grow in strength and power but go into a berserker state). However, I scrapped that idea as there is nothing to base it off of.

*I have been doing A LOT of thinking in between my studies and day to day affairs haha. <_<

--- And onto my work---

I took this pic below and decided to use it to update the army pic on the first post as well.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010335.jpg

I meant to take a pic of the LR only but I wanted to put the termies around it for scale and size. The LR, as it can be seen, is mostly built and just lacks the two top hatches, two side hatches, and its hurricane bolters of awesomeness.

I am dissapointed though with the LR C/R plastics. First off, the two "top parts" were a bit warped/messed up and do not fit snuggly on the top of the beast. So it has lead to some uneven-ess when inspected up close.

The interior will be closed off too. The front hatch got messed up pretty bad and I will not be able to make use of it opening and closing. I was hoping to leave lots of skeleton bits on the interior and a crucified skeleton on the top part of the front hatch interior. Basically, when you open it, there would be some poor fellas bones stretched out as the SoM stormed out into combat.

I really like the LR overall, just upset that I won't be able to make a 'showpiece' out of it like I intended. However, opportunity will strike again when my penny jar gets 6200 pennies in it. <_<

On Thursday, I did some hard work in my Analytical Philosophy course. With pen in hand, I started doodling on the edges of my notebook while listening to the instructor go on about the Correspondence of Truth and came up with something for Geor.

When I got home, with imagination in mind and bitz in hand I made a head piece for his staff:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010348.jpg

I also decided to use the sorcerer helm from the Termie Lord box but did away with the spikes as it would look too busy with those spikes and the bloodletters horns.

He still needs some more work done, mostly the skeleton on the staff needs a left arm. However, the left arm for skellies are usually at a 90 degree angle to hold shields.

Thanks once again for taking a look!

Malal treats all his followers well and imbues them with supernatural powers, be you Space Marine, mortal or an ogre.

Where is this bit about supernatural powers granted by Malal from?

-I myself thought of the parasitic nature of Malal could be both damaging but beneficial. When it is mentioned that he leeches from his followers, I would imagine that skin will lose their color and their form beginning to thin (which is common with people who are ill and under the weather), but the Sons and their enhanced forms would gain strength much like the Legion of the Damned (the more they decay they grow in strength and power but go into a berserker state). However, I scrapped that idea as there is nothing to base it off of.

It says somewhere, it might be the Fantasy page of Lexicanum about Malal that, because he can focus so much on each individual follower, that they get a lot more power from their god than one of Khorne's zillion followers. Like each champion of Malal is worth ten champions of any other god. And the thing about the Ogre is that there was originally an ogre who followed Malal but in the newer editions he's changed to worshipping "the Great Maw" And we don't need to base our theories off anything B) screw the rules! :blush:

And the thing about the Word Bearers and the Black Legion, well, the Black Legion by many accounts is much like the other warbands where there's infighting and splintered loyalty. That stuff happens with any of the gods. Especially if your army follows all 4 gods. Cuz then onhangers of Khorne will be all hatin' towards those of Slaneesh etc etc. Word Bearers are a special case as they're religious nuts and if their Dark Apostle told them to jump off a cliff they would. I think the only one who's able to gather all the forces of Chaos is Abaddon.

And yes, he's the God of Anarchy. Anarchy: 1530–40; ( Greek, anarchía lawlessness, lit., lack of a leader, equiv. to ánarch ( os ) leaderless. So basically "without leader" there is no leader. The warband leads itself. Well that's mine anyway.

The self-destruction, yes. Because in the end, the Sons of Malice objective to destroy both Chaos and the Imperium, is impossible, and will be the death of them. They know this, but they fight for Malal!

And the thing about the Ogre is that there was originally an ogre who followed Malal but in the newer editions he's changed to worshiping "the Great Maw" And we don't need to base our theories off anything ;) screw the rules! ;)

Aww man Goose, I was going to name my Land Raider "Great Maw" and see if anyone could figure out why. When I was reading Soul Hunter, I liked the name of First Claw's LR and how it wasn't named something silly to relate it to the NL Legion (Like "blood terror"...although there is a cool play on words with that name...hmmm). Great Maw was perfect because it was so ambiguous but still was a part of Malal fluff :(

And the thing about the Word Bearers and the Black Legion, well, the Black Legion by many accounts is much like the other warbands where there's infighting and splintered loyalty. That stuff happens with any of the gods. Especially if your army follows all 4 gods. Cuz then onhangers of Khorne will be all hatin' towards those of Slaneesh etc etc. Word Bearers are a special case as they're religious nuts and if their Dark Apostle told them to jump off a cliff they would. I think the only one who's able to gather all the forces of Chaos is Abaddon.

My point earlier was that these two legions follow all the gods (minus the Outcast) and they are highly functional and organized. So there are problems with worshiping the gods, and relations between individual warriors, but there are forces that aren't a "rabble of orks". It is strange though...with all the continuous in-fighting amongst the forces of chaos they are still a dreaded threat that have yet to wipe themselves out.

I have also come up with some great ideas and a scenario for the Cult of the Skull. However, it doesn't look like I will be making a warband of them any time soon (I just can't find people too interested in taking it up). I am thinking of taking elements from it however and adding it to what I have for the Anarchist's Fist (which is sadly 12 pages of Word documents that will see the recycle bin if I go through with this).

---

And some pictures to look at

I have been painting a lot of red this week but I did some more work on the Sons.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010355.jpg

Mostly did some detail work like the skulls and trinkets that the termies have by their waist. I have some chains and hooks that I still need to paint. I have two more Sons to paint for the first squad, which is still not named. So perhaps I will start painting their white armor, do their silver trim, and details this weekend. After that I need to finalize what kind of base I want to do, then I will build the second squad.

May I present Brother-Anarch Mengala:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010359.jpg

I used chainmail for his tusks and the horns on his shoulder pad. I have to say I like boltgun metal a good bit more.

In the pic you can also see the dice I recently purchased, so I will be doing some test runs of my Sons versus my Imperial Fists. *one game will take an hour or six since it will be me going back and forth learning with the rule book.

Thanks for stopping by!

Woah! Is that a Brother of the Sons of Malice named after a crazy Nazi scientist?! I'm not sure how I feel about that.. B) Sorry bout the huge wall of text before, it was late, I was slightly tipsy and feeling very passionate about my 7th Company haha so yeah, you go with what you want and I'll keep my crazy anarchist theories out of your way.. Anyway, the details look good! The cloth kinda looks like dead skin, if you gave it like one more sharp bleached bone/skull white highlight, I don't know if that's the point, but it might be cool.

And sorry bout ruining the Land Raider surprise, it's a really good name though! You should keep it.

Goose, i said it a couple of times, no need to apologize haha. And keep the walls of text coming!

You never know when the slightest scraps of information will pop up that can enhance the fluff/background of an army or character. Plus, there are only so few Sons around (although I saw a new thread pop up) so going back and forth with thoughts on the SoM and Malal is a must.

Right now, for example, I am wondering how I should paint Nay'pal (chaplain) and Geor (librarian). I want to paint both in their chapters colors as they are definitely not following the Codex anymore so the regulations found within its pages mean nothing to them. I also like the idea that they would bear their chapters colors so that their enemies won't have any doubt as to who they serve (having just the shoulder pads painted isn't enough). I do worry however that they will look too much like the standard termies.

For Geor, I was thinking of adding a cape and paint that and his robes blue. I remember in Labyrinth it mentioned SoM Librarians have cerulean robes on their armor but it makes no mention of their armor's colors. I also think on Malal-lives he has the librarians keeping their blue paint job. Nay'pal is trickier as the color of his former office was black...and that is about half of the colors used by any SoM.

so...some fun stuff and ideas that are keeping my two minis from going under the brush.

but i do have some pictures to present;

There is nothing like snow on the ground and cold winds that motivates me to stay inside and do some painting. Thanks to global warming I get snow in Texas...destroying my reasoning for moving here.:(

Allow me to present Brother-Anarch Khanah:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010364.jpg

One thing I love about termies are the helmets but painting them is another story. Unlike the rest of their armor there are too many edges that lose definition when they are painted. would a light blue wash help with the detail lost by the white paint? I have had mixed results when painting the other helmets so any suggestions are more than welcomed!

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010363.jpg

Really happy with my method for painting white. Nice, smooth, clean, and on large surfaces I only need 3 or for light coats to cover up. *like the shoulder pad and upper back.* I do find it too clean for a renegade chapter, heck, I find it tiring just to keep my white shoes clean, but i like the way it looks.

At the moment the last remaining member of the Yet-To-Be-Named squad just needs his metallics done. I think I will do that tonight. After that I just need to go back over the squad and lone-wolf.

Once I am happy with the mini I will take on one of the wolves. I need to buy proper bases for them and I am still wondering how I am going to paint it. I think The larger surfaces will get black/white colors while the rest of the body gets boltgun metal and tin bitz.

I also am still considering what I should do for the bases themselves. I want something that is semi-urban. So maybe some spackle and the cities of death floor pack from GW should do the trick.

Well, I should have some more progress done tonight. Thanks for stopping by!

• 2 weeks later...

I have edited the first post with an updated army list. It is still not the finalized list. I am debating whether I should give each squad a combi-flamer. I played a mock game of my Sons vs Imperial Fists at the Battle of the Dining Room table and I think a flamer (with good dice rolls) will come in handy in the future.

In the last few days I have also finished a majority of my first Corpse Guard squad. *one of them may be swapped with a member of second squad.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010365.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010366.jpg

I'm happy to see these Terminators with their chapter colors after they had been sitting quartered black and grey for months. More work to be done on them in the near future.

and my prep work for the "wolves" paint scheme.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010367.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010368.jpg

The grey are obviously shows where I want to paint it white. The other parts will be painted metallic. Wondering if I should do its ribcage in black and white or metallic. opinions?

My fluff is that these beasts were captured (a'la pokemon) during a battle with World Eaters and Daemonic forces of Khorne. Long story short, Geor with his talent in sorcery and dark arts, bound these creatures to Malals service. Nostras is capable of "controlling" them in battle. A story worth a novel, compressed into three sentences :P

Well, hopefully more work to come for the Sons of Malice after I finish some reports and projects. Thanks for taking a look and C&C always sought after.

A warm toned gold/copper colour might work well to contrast with the cool white and black ;) (Edit: Talking about the ribcage of the Wolf btw)

The Termies are looking good, but I feel like somehow a wash of something could be useful to make some more shadow for them. At the moment the white is like, super white, and especially on the pauldrons they need some shading arounr the edges I think..

But I'm just gonna have to repeat, Brother "Mengala" is way too close to Mengele. I really think you should find a different name ;)

• 1 month later...
A warm toned gold/copper colour might work well to contrast with the cool white and black :D (Edit: Talking about the ribcage of the Wolf btw)

I will definitely take this into consideration. Plus, a darker metallic may show that it once served khorne before its enslavement.

The Termies are looking good, but I feel like somehow a wash of something could be useful to make some more shadow for them. At the moment the white is like, super white, and especially on the pauldrons they need some shading arounr the edges I think..

This update should be my first steps to remedy that :)

But I'm just gonna have to repeat, Brother "Mengala" is way too close to Mengele. I really think you should find a different name :P

Never thought his name would be a problem but I can see how someone could be upset with this. If you don't mind me asking, got any good barbaric names on hand I could permanently borrow for my termie?

Well, I have dusted off the Sons of Malice and put them back onto my work bench. This is just an update to gauge progress on highlighting and lining to break up two colors.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010413.jpg

-I lined the area between the metallics and white on the lower left leg with badab black. It does help break up the white on white and white on metallics. However I cannot do the same for the shoulder guards so I will need to tinker around with that more. I may just have to drybrush the inner edges of the trim to differentiate it more with the badab black on white. *if you look at the next pic, on the Corpse Guard's right shoulder, you can sort of see what i am talking about.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010410.jpg

-In this picture I tried to highlight the raised parts of the helm to show the features better. It's a bit faint in this picture because of the shadow...should have posed that with the light more on it (I have great hindsight). I am wondering should I do more? It is semi visible but I do want to avoid the extreme highlighting look.

Hope to get some good feed back and top off these minis. One thing I love about taking pictures of minis is the fact that I can see all the parts that need touch ups so I will need to get to that ASAP as well. Then I can finalize some basing ideas.

Thanks for stopping by!

I'm liking the black highlights. I can somewhat make out what you mean on the white areas meeting the metal bits. I however think it looks fine brother. Just keep thinning your layers to the pure white and they'll look awesome!

Mr.Malevolent

Thanks for the comments gents!

As for the Sons of Malice, a new army shot:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010420.jpg

Over the weekend I was able to get a little bit more work done.

-My LRC, the Monarch's Agony, is built with the exception of filling in gaps with green stuff. Still upset that the top bit was somewhat warped but at least I got it to work. I did however do more work on it after I took this pic. There is now a SoM popping out of the MM hatch and adding his own bolter fire to the fray. *it may change though.

-There is also a teaser of what will come soon in this pic as well ^_^

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010419.jpg

-These guys aren't the teaser.

-I decided to go back and put some more paint on Fovvus so parts on him here and there are not longer just black and his base got some color splashed on.

-The berzerker I put together from what was going to be an IW noise marine count-as. Basically, I thought about making a small CSM army with Fovvus (count-as Khârn) and two small squads of Berzerkers in which this marine will be in those numbers. I think such an army would be fun because of the risk Khârn represents and it would be nice to have a Chaos army that actually uses the Chaos Codex.

-I also want to practice gore and 'wear and tear' on the berzerker.

-The little bugger in front is my favorite though. I have no idea what it is but I have named it Short-Round.

Well that is it for updates at the moment. Still going back and forth with the painted termies to add more detail to them so that will be taking up any hobby time I have.

Hope you liked this little update.

Mechanical Space Pups of Doom!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!

great idea mate!

Thanks Brother Melice! They cost a hefty bit in my opinion but big, metallic beasts of war were a lot more fitting than the chaos hounds. The Mechanical Space Pups of Doom look like they can do some serious damage to enemies in power armor.

now for the update...

The Land raider will be painted up hopefully within these next few weeks. I will be doing it quartered black and white. I just need to go and buy more chaos black and a bigger brush soon.

I have also been scavenging some old minis to make into berzerkers. Besides the two shown earlier I made these:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010432.jpg

I was able to put these guys together and get them prepped last night. They may get some white and boltgun metal on them today unless I decided to paint some VC skellies.

I also have 4 more sets of body parts to add to this unit. So I will have a squad of the sacred number 8 but I hope to raise it to eleven to keep everything zen!

As always, thanks for stopping by and C&C is always welcomed!

Cool, good start on the berserkers, good to see a move away from the Khornate helmets; that's dangerously Chaos-y territory.. :D

And I would disagree with lowering the guy's pistol, he would look too stocky if you levelled the gun with his chainsword.

Thanks for the comments Gents!

Ooh, very nice poses, only suggestion would be to lower the guy on the left's pistol?
And I would disagree with lowering the guy's pistol, he would look too stocky if you levelled the gun with his chainsword.

Yeah, I thought it would take away the "at the ready" look if it was lowered down.

*An embarrassing note: Since I lack any pose-able figures I decided to "test" the poses myself to see if it was realistic/would anyone stand around like that. Needless to say, when someone sees you standing still with invisible sword and pistol in a pose...they will think you are crazy. :P

Cool, good start on the berserkers, good to see a move away from the Khornate helmets; that's dangerously Chaos-y territory.. :P

I had to throw one of those helmets in for the berzerker factor and that is the only one I like :D (the skull one isn't frightening an the other helms suggest WE Berzerkers have huge heads). I like to think that the SoM grabbed the WE's Bunny Ears and with a push and pull movement of his arms he snapped the Khorne-worshippers neck and collected a new trophy.

This does make me wonder what the SoM policy would be on taking possessed armor and weapons from fallen CSM forces. I would like to think they would and using sorcery and the awesomeness of Malal they would enslave it to their cause. Not only would you use the weapon to slaughter the former bearers kin but the essence of that god would be used against him as well. That's like two slaps in the face.

Thanks once again for stopping by...hope to have more done soon!

Archived