BA way to hit necrons!

Justin2008

Hey all, thought id add a topic which could potentially help me as i am/will be facing a necron opponant soon.

I know he has 2 monoliths, 80 odd warriors, and 11 immortals with those weapons everyone hates... the dreaded warscythes ;) lol.

Wanted to know your way of taking them down, and any glorious moments ya had against them.

:(

I usually do what BA does best, assault :lol:

But I don't really get the immortals with warscythes? Do you mean Pariahs? They max out at 10 if I'm not mistaken. (I problably am, usually thats the case)

The warriors can be quite a tarpit when they get up all the time, but you'll get them to stay down after a while. Don't even bother with the monoliths, just focus on phasing him out. Does he use any C'tan? Those are the ones to watch out for.

IF you can into close combat with a dread, they will rock! (but watch out for those warscythes, always) But it's quite hard to do so without a storm raven.

When you assault warscythes, you really wanna multiassault them. Their low Ini makes it possible to wipe them out before they can strike back. I haven't played against CC necrons more than twice perhaps so I don't really have much experience with them.

But in general I'd say that jump packs and cover are your best friends against necrons.

power fist, power fist, power fist, did i mention power fists? even though they hit last they still have the power to completly destroy necrons and not let them come back (hate those orbs..) i have found , like judaz, that assault marines are very usful agenst the necs, dont forget to take death company! they turn necrons into so much scrap metal i isnt funny. if you have to try to tie up his guys in close combat and keep his monoilths from raining soul sucking death on top of you. if you nock out his warriors he will have to give up! nothing like seeing his two largest models leave because most of his troopers have been iced.

Warscythe is painful. Also Gaze of Flame (you lose your +1A while attacking lord and his unit and has -1Ld) is painful. Orb can throw to bin your plans. Heavy Destroyers can take out your dread as a snap (unless you cover it's back). After all, I have to say that assault is the greatest weakpoint of the necrons. And you can often outnumber them. Theire models are expensive as hell. When he takes two monoliths, he just spend 550pts. so you can outnumber him with good, quality of assault marines. While locked in combat, his monolith cannot wreak havoc, his destroyers cannot take down your marnes like crops and you can destroy all his warriors entirely by sweeping advance. Do not leave weak spots in the form of small units of non-assault squads. Wraiths could breakfeast them. Just do what you BA can do best. Kill it from the blade distance.

I heard you guys just hugged them, or something.

BA-ZING!

But seriously, folks - Assault, assault, assault.

That's pretty much the BA way to deal with <insert enemy army name here>

My opponent doesn't use many of the units yours does. He usually goes Necron heavy with two mini-armies of 2 squads of warriors backed with destroyers and a lord with res orb. There's likely to be another unit of heavy destroyers and a unit or two of wraiths as well.

Use Death Company with a chaplain to hit the warrior units, which your opponent is more likely to have out front. Throw in a powerfist just to really annoy.

If your opponent is running two monoliths go for phase out.

The only way to beat warscythes is to not face them in HTH. I didn't realize a unit could have them.

The only way I beat the lord on a destroyer body with warscythe is to use powerfists. Alternatively, if you are really good at maneuvering and the terrain is favorable, you may be able to get into HTH so that the lord is not in BTB. the best option is to cause as many wounds as possible to the squad the lord is attached to so that he is forced to make morale checks at a big penalty. That is why I like the Death Company so much: a large number of attacks with double rerolls.

I also like scouting dakka Baals for hitting the destroyers in the back, but that isn't very reliable.

The Death Company recommendation is a good one, especially since you can give the whole unit power weapons. It sounds expensive, but it's worth it to wipe out a whole unit of warriors if you get the charge. I'd rely on their Feel No Pain to last through the enemy shooting phase than have the DC get multi-assaulted by something in addition to the warriors, like wraiths. I play a Necron player regularly, and Mech doesn't do well with all Gauss and skimmer high STR weapons in the backfield. Descent of Angels works better, as long as you melta/power weapon up. Try and tie up the Lord with Orb with a Drop Pod Dreadnought, then pull the warriors outside the orb range, since it can allow even power weapon regen. Melta weapons on Dreadnoughts work well against the Lords, and they can assault monoliths if they have to. Glance on 4+ and pen on 5+ isn't too bad against the AV14. The template weapons will scatter off the dread 66% of the time anyways.

Thanks for your answers guys, i understand to assault their butts lol.

I dont use DC as my chapter is based around them (dont like them in new dex) and i do have a home-built storm raven which i can use.

Overall thanks people, and yeah i meant pariahs and their 10 warscythes, + lord with his lol ;)

Thanks

Hey there.

Im a long time Necron player, t'was my first army and only recently did i decide to start with space marines, more specifically blood angels.

If the dude your playing really knows how to play necrons then you are going to have your work cut out for you. The only viable option for you is ofcourse to try wiping out the warriors. Getting the monoliths down is going to be extreemly hard unleas you can get a S10 dreadnought into CC with them. You cant glance a monolith to death since the main weapon can never be destroyed, so only S9+ weapons will be able to really hurt them.

The thing about the monoliths is that instead of firing the template weapon it can summon a necron squad within 24" to it, even if that squad was in CC. This can leave your squads vunerable to the other monolith wich can hit them with a s9 AP3 blast. In addition, any squads summoned this way can REROLL any failed WWB rolls. This along with a lords res orb can really make warriors hard to kill. As has been said before, your best bet is things that ignore armour saves in CC (i personally prefer power weapons over power fists). The lord can only cover so much since the res orb only has a 6" bubble.

Hope this helps ^^

Archived