Matte varnishes

Hey guys

So, i walked into GW a few days ago and I wanted to get some matt varnishes for my army, since I haven't actually ever used them on model before (they rarely, if ever, get scratched so I was always indifferent towrds them), but when they told me they didn't have anything like what I wanted I was sad face to say the least :cry:

now, i want to get a plain matt varnish that can get rid of shinyness from my models, and protecting them would be nice as well, so what do you guys use?

Thanks for any input in advance

Rafen

If you want to protect the models as well as dull them down then most folks will recommend a good hard gloss varnish for protection followed by the matte to take the shine off.

As MoM says though, there's only one real matte varnish - Testor's Dull Cote - I swear by it, rather than at it like folks seem to with GW's matte spray or that of many other companies...

Yep, sure is, I get mine from Train World in East Brighton but I've also grabbed some at other stores like the Victorian Hobby Centre in the Melbourne CBD.

I do like to matt finish my models to help protect them (and to remove gloss), but on some parts I do like having a high gloss (power/plasma/energy weapons). What would be the best way to have that protective coat over most of the model while still having that gloss only on the places I want? If I have a high gloss coat should I put that below or above the matt finish (should I file anything off)?

Vallejo Matt Varnish comes in a pot the same as their paints, and can be brushed on, so you can leave the parts you want glossed like lenses and plasma cores

I cacked myself when i first used it though, as it looks like watered down PVA glue, but goes on fine

Army Painter Matte Spray is a good option as well, completely takes the shine off anything as it's designed to be used with their dipping products but works perfectly on every model I've used it on so far

Archived