GW Rough Coat?

ShinyRhino

I've been looking at the old edition of "How To Make Wargaming Terrain" put out by GW, and they repeatedly mention some sort of spray paint called "Rough Coat" for giving plastic parts a stony texture.

Doesn't look like GW even sells this stuff anymore.

Anyone know of a reasonable alternative that isn't TOO textured? I've seen the Krylon Stone Textures paints and such, and used the resin sand additive that you dump in a quart of latex wall paint. However, I want to give the GW plastic terrain kits I have (Sanctum Imperialis, Manufactorum, etc) a sandstone texture, withut obliterating all of the fine detail. Both the Stone Textures and resin sand additives would clog these things so badly, it's not even funny.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Many fine art stores generally have textured paint and spray paint which achieves a large variety of textures for what us miniature collectors would consider very cheap! Check out one near you :lol:

Places like bulk hardware stores and generic super stores (the name eludes me) can have cheaper alternatives to the fine art ones as well for an even more 'on the budget' terrain producer.

I definitely plan to drybrush the buildings when they're done, but if there's no texture to capture, drybrushing isn't effective :).

I guess I'll have to resort to testing on sprue. At least I have tons of THAT around!

Depends how determined you are....

you can honestly stiplle it on/paint on texture...yes its time consuming...but then you don't have to buy textured paint...

Art shows/shops will sell it mind....and probably DIY stores.

its worth googling aswelll tbh...there are alot of stockists that sell OOP GW stuff...like paints, inks and sprays..

Archived