Appeal for Varnishing Advice

I recently started painting again after about ten years, and I'm having difficulty finding the right varnish to bring my models to completion.

In the past I used GW varnish, which after applying a few coats left my space marines well-protected and with a slight sheen which looked pretty cool. Unfortunately, I think GW have changed the formula for their varnish, which is now way too glossy. I painted a Khorne Berzerker with the stuff as a test and he looks as though he's been slathered in oil in preparation for the Mr Universe 41K competition. He is stupidly, blindingly glossy.

Next, I went out and bought some Testor's Dullcoate paint-on varnish. This product simply dulled the colours and caused them to run, which was even worse than the glossy effect. So my question is, before I go out and experiment with more varnish: what is the best matte or slightly glossy varnish for use over acrylic GW paints (which is what I have used, for better or worse, to paint my models)?

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Testors Dullcoat Spray Varnish(Not the paint-on stuff). It gives a very flat finish, even over the stuff that is already glossy. Edit- Of course, if you want your models to be really survivable- give 'em a coat of a gloss varnish, THEN a thin coat of the Testors Dullcoat. The gloss will protect the mini from scratches, etc. The Dullcoat will make them "not shiny."

I personally like the Army Painter Matte Varnish, I have yet to find something that it cant take the shine off (even water effects although that wasn't entirely on purpose.....) It also seems to protect pretty well. I use it on all of my metal minis and I haven't seen any chipping on them yet.

Varnishes are tricky beasts, to say the least. First I tried Army Painter Anti Shine, but it killed all the metallics (not to mention frosting badly on some models and not frosting on others, all sprayed in one go). Then I gave a chance to Purity Seal and it worked great, it's matte but not overly so (I sprayed a relatively thin coat on) and works well with metallics. Testors Dullcote is unavailable in my country for some reason, at least the spray-on version.

And as someone said in some topic similar to this - varnish protects not so much from chipping as from rubbing the paint off from continuous touching minis with your fingers. That is true especially with metal ones and on the edges - plastic ones can withstand more groping :D

I know Purity Seal has had its bad batches, and frosting issues, but the finish is perfect. The last can i had was fine, as long as you follow the instructions

I usually give mine a coat of 'Ardcoat, then either Purity seal or Vallejo Matt varnish

Archived