Deep strike

Glendor

I have 2 questions on drop pods and how they work:

First, are the doors of a drop pod terrain where you can claim a cover save?

Next, and more importantly, can you choose for your drop pods to come in 2nd turn?

Hey :)

In answer to your first question, I think it's up to the gaming group... If a model is covered by a ramp through the LOS I'd say yes, but claiming area terrain from a wrecked drop-pod I'd say no.

To answer your second question I'd say you can't CHOOSE to hold back drop-pods, the codex says ; "At the beginning of your first turn, you must choose half of your Drop Pods (rounding up) to make a 'Drop Pod Assault'."

Hope I've helped

Malatox

Yes thats perfectly fine I have another question in no regard to drop pods. Can a librarian with wings of sanguinius deep strike from reserves with a successful physic test. Before you jump to conclusions the power states that "It allows the librarian to move as if he had a jump pack" pg. 63.

The FAQ from GW states "Q: Can a unit that ʻmoves as jump infantryʼ deep strike?

(p52)

A: Yes

So therefore cant you have a libby deepstrike without a JP?

I am not trying to be "that guy" who tries to find holes in the rules but it would cut points off of many peoples lists and you could even deep strike libby dreads that way.

Thanks for the help

(BTW I am going to change the title of the thread so i can get people to come for the right reason).

The power states that you use it at the beginning of you movement phase. If you dude isnt on the table he cant really use the power IMO. People on here have already kind of gone over that with Mephiston being able to DS. I like the idea you were going for but unfortunatly I dont think it will 'fly'. Pun intended.

Is that FAQ quote for the brb or C:BA? p52 is a brb reference.

If it's for the brb, then there are plenty of gribblies that have wings or jp like powers that are always on.

Drop pod doors don't exist. One must always play them as if they're almost invisible like banners and wings on daemons. LOS may always be drawn through them and they don't qualify as base or hull for unit 1" limits ie. they're not 'owned terrain'. At least that's what I've seen played and play myself with my LGS.

Hey :)

In answer to your first question, I think it's up to the gaming group... If a model is covered by a ramp through the LOS I'd say yes, but claiming area terrain from a wrecked drop-pod I'd say no.

Actually, if the drop pod were to become a wreck, as it is a vehicle, you could very well claim area terrain.

(BRB, p62).

Regards,

gustmic

The whole being able to deep strike if you move like a jump pack is for things such as chaos lords. They can have wings, whicha llow them to move as jump infantry, but dont count as jump infantry for terrain purposes etc.

hope that clears it up :)

Hey ;)

Actually, if the drop pod were to become a wreck, as it is a vehicle, you could very well claim area terrain.

(BRB, p62).

Regards,

gustmic

Sorry I meant if a model was 'on' a ramp of a wrecked Drop Pod, no the actual main part

Malatox

True LOS is in play here. If you guy is standing on a deployed ramp, and there's someone in front of him, with nothing in between, then no you can't claim a save. If the guy shooting is on the other side of the drop pod, then you could claim a save for your dude.

If you're not on the table, you can't do stuff! So no using Wings to DS in!

Well I think that as a Drop Pod that has Deep Striked counts as a wrecked vehicle you would be able to get a cover save. A drop pod is a huge ass metal thing... Bullets won't just fly "through" it like they would with banners and wings and such...

Just to clarify:

A safely landed drop pod is not 'wrecked', it is 'immobile'. As such, if it partially blocks LoS it confers a cover save, and if you're lucky enough might even entirely block LoS, denying the shot. The rules for shooting through cover apply as normal, so a sniper can hide right next to it and shoot through the middle of it if the flaps are down and he can see.

It is still an active vehicle, however, with an operational gun. If your enemy then shoots or assaults it and blows it up, like any other vehicle, then a 'wrecked' result means it is now a passive bit of scenery, and an 'explodes' result means it gets removed, and ideally replaced with a suitably sized crater, which is now area terrain, conferring cover and difficult terrain tests.

As to the flaps issue, this has been argued extensively both ways, and until an FAQ ruling comes out, I believe most groups do NOT count the ramps as difficult or area terrain, and you cannot include them in your 'deploy 2" from the vehicle', but as mentioned above, if you stand next to the hull, between the flaps, you will get your LoS coversave.

Archived