Enuncia in 30K

Ashe Darke

Enuncia for all who don't know is this.

Enuncia is an obscure, arcane discipline dedicated to manipulating reality and the warp via vocalizations. It is a "language" of sorts, but a language unlike any other known by humanity. It is described as sounding as though human mouths were not made to pronounce it. Enuncia is referred to in Dan Abnett's "Ravenor" series as "unwords."

Speaking these unwords can enable an Enuncia user to control daemons directly, without the usual bargaining, or it can cause be used as a weapon, causing severe physical damage ranging from uncontrollable vomiting to cranial rupturing. Enuncia can also be used as a potent weapon against daemons. It is not without its costs, however, as it takes a huge toll on the user, tearing their mouth and throat apart with every syllable.

So the first time we see this is in Ravenor and it is also in Prospero Burns. I have my suspicions that Luther uses it Fallen Angels towards the end of the book as well although this would be Mike Lee using one of Dan's creations.

If that is the case then this is twice now that we've seen this in 30k. Are there any links to this era? Will we learn any more about it in the HH series and will we see it again in other books? I hoped Dan would have expanded it a little in Prospero Burns but all he did was name drop one of creations, just like flects in Legion.

Personally I'd like to see more on the subject although I'm wondering if anyone else thought the same about what Luther did or is it just wishful thinking on my behalf?

Hi Ashe.

Difficult subject really. For Dan to drop enuncia in to Prospero Burns could be as simple as a little nod towards Ravenor, alternatively it could be the start to a bigger plot within the HH series, my gut thinks the former though.

The segment in Fallen Angels you mention isn't automatically coming to mind, would have to check. There is, I suppose, a very real propsect of enuncia being found at more 'chaos specific' worlds, so Caliban could quite easily become a prime candidate. If I remember correctly Zygmunt Molotch, in Ravenor, states that the records he has found that contain traces of enuncia are from locations dotted far and wide across the galaxy. Although Ravenor is more 'present day' 40k and enuncia could quite easily have been more accessible in 30k times.

Well Luther manages to attack someone, can't remember who now, with just a word. It sounds like Enuncia except for he didn't seem to damage himself. I get the feeling that we'll probably only see little bits of it and only in books by Dan, which is a shame but it's the HH not a medium for explaining some cool creation from another series.

Ashe.

I am in the throws of reading Titanicus, by Dan, and have not long since stumbled across a paragraph about the preservation of knowledge and how the learning and understanding of past knowledge must not be taken for granted and must be salvaged. Prospero Burns was the book I read before this and I am almost certain that Kasper Hawser has nigh on the exact same debate with one of the other characters.

Another subtle nod perhaps.

Archived