Robed Terminators

You will either have to buy these legs, or sculpt robes yourself. There are of course different ways to sculpt robes, but then again buying the legs would only cost about 84 cents more than buying a pack of GS. (I'm in germany by the way.)

So I take it you are actually asking for the easiest way to sculpt robes?

If so take a look at this. Flattened sheets of putty. If you want flowing robes you can add support with wires.

If by conversion you do mean something else, then I can only say that I have seen some people use actual cloth for banners etc., but to be honest it didn't look very good. Paper soaked in PVA glue is sometimes used on tanks and terrain to make sheets of fabric but again I doubt it would look good on a SM.

They look more like PA legs than anything else.

One way to go about sculpting robes is to use a cheaper putty to 'lay out' the robe and then sculpt the folds on using some finer grain putty like GS.

By this I mean; Mix some putty and flatter it on some wet plastic like cling wrap or icecream containers (more flexible plastic is usually better), make sure its long enough to wrap around the model and wide enough to be as long as the robe you want (eg. full length like above). Let it cure for a little while (maybe 15 mins? You'l have to trial and error this stage). Cut it as desired; so you can have really neat robes you would cut it fairly square, or you could tatter the bottom by cutting and dragging bits aways using your knife (this might require stiffer plastic underlay).

Then wrap it around the legs, and press it to roughly the shape you want. So if you want it sort of following the legs then you press it against the legs, or if you want it picked up by the breeze you would shape it by pulling it in the desired direction. If you are going to have the robes a fair distance from the legs (ie a large gap in between the leg and robe) you might need to support it by glueing some wire to the leg before putting the robe on.

Now wait for it to cure, generally 24 hours is best; but if you're impatient you can speed it up with a blowdryer or only wait a few hours. Once cured, grab some GS and start sculpting the folds, in line with this tutorial here: Tabard tutorial

Archived