how far did the great crusade get?

wise_crak

hey guys,

well as the title asks; how far did they get? i imagine they got pretty far around the galaxy like but did they get as far east as where the tau are now?

food for thought ;)

Wisey :D

The Ultramarines were already on Macragge, I think, which is on the Tau's doorstep.

i seee...would they have got much further than that then? like right to the edge of the galaxy? or not bothered going that far as of yet?

i know post-heresy armies have been lost out side the eastern boarder but im just wondering if they went that far just to get to the tau

Wisey :)

IIRC the Tau did not exist 10,000 years ago. They are a very young race, and only developed as a civilisation in the past couple of thousand years.

Edit: Yep, a quick check in the Codex Tau Empires reveals that the homeworld of the Tau was first discovered in 789.M35, at which point the native aliens had mastered th euse of primitive weapons and had discovered fire, so basically a stone age culture.

im not so much saying they went there to fight the tau im just using the tau empire as a reference point in the galaxy :P

so im guessin from the answer so far that the crusade probably took them to the edge of the galaxy to the point where "the light" isnt strong enough to use for direction?

only reason i ask is that i want my chapter to fall out of the warp behind the tau empire on a planet on the rim of the galaxy and stuck there as warp travel isnt safe to risk as the light isnt strong enough and thought finding some old pre-heresy tech to survive ;)

Wisey :teehee:

Imagine the galaxy, now imagine most of it is covered up by the Imperium, now imagine a tiny dot in the far eastern rim to be the Tau empire who are surrounded by the Imperium on all sides. Ultramar resides to the east of the Tau empire.

Edit: Yep, a quick check in the Codex Tau Empires reveals that the homeworld of the Tau was first discovered in 789.M35, at which point the native aliens had mastered th euse of primitive weapons and had discovered fire, so basically a stone age culture.

So why weren't they eliminated by the Imperium, when it would have been easy to do so? They certainly would have in the Crusade era.

Imagine the galaxy, now imagine most of it is covered up by the Imperium, now imagine a tiny dot in the far eastern rim to be the Tau empire who are surrounded by the Imperium on all sides. Ultramar resides to the east of the Tau empire.

Ultramar is actually almost directly south of T'au.

To answer the original question, according to 40K star maps, The Imperium dominates the entire Milky Way.

So why weren't they eliminated by the Imperium, when it would have been easy to do so? They certainly would have in the Crusade era.

If you read the fluff, when the first Imperial Planetary Surveyors arrived at T'au, they noted a plains dwelling tribal society, and determined they were of no worth and declared the planet to be purged and prepared for human settlement. But, alas, the wheels of Imperial beurocracy turn slowly, and by the time the Imperium arrived back at T'au space to carry out the directed purging, it was 2,000 years later and what they found was a super advanced race with incredible technology. Also, I believe Tau space was cut off by warpstorms for awhile, protecting them and allowing them to evolve to their current state.

If you read the fluff, when the first Imperial Planetary Surveyors arrived at T'au, they noted a plains dwelling tribal society, and determined they were of no worth and declared the planet to be purged and prepared for human settlement. But, alas, the wheels of Imperial beurocracy turn slowly, and by the time the Imperium arrived back at T'au space to carry out the directed purging, it was 2,000 years later and what they found was a super advanced race with incredible technology. Also, I believe Tau space was cut off by warpstorms for awhile, protecting them and allowing them to evolve to their current state.

Indeed. The Reign of Blood threw everybodies plans off just a bit.

I certainly believe that the Crusade passed where T'au is now, that it was passed over for exploitation for more resourceful planets. Remember, just because the Crusade went past an area doesn't mean they exhaustively surveyed each and every planet they passed.

Oh, yea! Forgot about the Reign of Blood! That would've definately taken some focus away from some backwater alien world. To add on to what Caerolion said, the Imperium may span the entire galaxy, but there's still vast streches of unexplored space within the Imperial domain, so I'm sure there's lots of little alien races that escape notice. Poor Tau, I feel bad for them, they're really the only race in the game I would consider to be 'good guys'. Humanity certainly isn't.

It was actually warp storms. After T'au had been discovered, a fleet to colonize it was sent, but that fleet was lost by warp storms. These warp storms kept the world hidden untill many hundred years later, when suddenly the primitive civilisation had developed into teh Tau of today.

As said Macragge is on the Eastern Fringe, and Tau is practically next door so its a fair bet that they probably went further. The thing to remember is that its not a matter of distance - there a hundred billion stars in the galaxy, there's no way the Great Crusade surveyed every single one - they would have been leapfrogging from one notable system to another, eg: historical records mention planet A being a major colony during the Dark Age of Technology, so they go and conquer it, they discover that the planet has trade ties with planets B, C & D so they go conquer them - and due to the nature of warp travel they'd be bypassing dozens or hundreds of systems every time they go from one planet to another.

supposedly, eldar foresaw the bloodshed angron would cause and tried to kill him, hence why when angron was found he was surrounded by dead xenos. you'd think that because this is a similar timeframe we're talking about here that the eldar would have also seen the rise of the tau empire and taken steps to protect themselves from that as well, given that the eldar are such a frail and dying race. surely they wouldn't have been caught up in the expansion of the imperium and and could just deal with the problem unbeknownst to everyone around.

The Tau are not really a threat to anyone in the galaxy. They might expand into some Imperial worlds, but their lack of warp drives means they will never truly grow in any significant manner. They are even less of a threat to the Eldar than to the Imperium, since the Eldar do not maintain worlds that the Tau could try to conquer.

The Eldar are scared of Chaos which is why they don't like mankind. Tau don't register with Chaos so the Eldar wouldn't bother with the Tau. The Eldar wouldn't care if Tau ruled the entire galaxy. In fact the Eldar and Tau could probably co-exist quite happily, fighting against mankind to destroy chaos and the Tyranids and Necrons who just want to eat everything.

... In fact the Eldar and Tau could probably co-exist quite happily, fighting against mankind to destroy chaos and the Tyranids and Necrons who just want to eat everything.

Scary thought! The taus firepower with the speed of the elder... :D

I have always wondered how the Tay are with tyranids tbh. We all know they are just eatting imperium worlds but how are they doing in tau space? Food for thought :D

Cheers for the info as well guys really helps my fluff! (lost behind the tau empire on the edge of the galaxy behind the tau and in front of the tyranids)

WiseyB)

... In fact the Eldar and Tau could probably co-exist quite happily, fighting against mankind to destroy chaos and the Tyranids and Necrons who just want to eat everything.

Scary thought! The taus firepower with the speed of the elder... :P

I have always wondered how the Tay are with tyranids tbh. We all know they are just eatting imperium worlds but how are they doing in tau space? Food for thought :D

Cheers for the info as well guys really helps my fluff! (lost behind the tau empire on the edge of the galaxy behind the tau and in front of the tyranids)

WiseyB)

The tyranids don't only target Imperial worlds, they're indiscriminate killers, and everyone is their prey. I'm pretty sure I've heard of some Tau worlds being lost to the Great Devourer.

My guess that it was not the size at the height of the Imperium's power after all many new worlds were conquered during the time of scouring and later periods. But it was defiantely a lot easier to manage without having every other race and all Deamons trying to bring you down at once.

Scary thought! The taus firepower with the speed of the elder... :)

I have always wondered how the Tay are with tyranids tbh. We all know they are just eatting imperium worlds but how are they doing in tau space? Food for thought :P

WiseyB)

The tyranids don't only target Imperial worlds, they're indiscriminate killers, and everyone is their prey. I'm pretty sure I've heard of some Tau worlds being lost to the Great Devourer.

The Tau Empire is what? 12 worlds? If the Tau lost one world to the 'Nids the others wouldn't be far behind because they're all relativly close together.

Scary thought! The taus firepower with the speed of the elder... :)

I have always wondered how the Tay are with tyranids tbh. We all know they are just eatting imperium worlds but how are they doing in tau space? Food for thought :P

WiseyB)

The Tau Empire is what? 12 worlds? If the Tau lost one world to the 'Nids the others wouldn't be far behind because they're all relativly close together.

Unless it just happened to be right before they were beaten back by the Ultras. I doubt the Tau have been completely untouched by the 'nids, when their Empire is on the Eastern Fringe where the 'nids first came from.

The Empire is nothing really, a small empire in the galactic east. During the Great Crusades and Legions and Imperial army were coming across these (granted probably more human empires) like every week and were overcoming them mostly with ease. If the Tau were around as they are now during the Great Crusade or we still had Emperor, Primarch and legions the Tau empire would be a foot note in the annals of the Ultramarines history books; I say Ultramarines since they're the closest.

the tau exist due to author's saving throw.

they have neither the technology or bodies required to become a legitimate threat to the Imperium of Man. they can take a few worlds here or there, but what does that matter in a empire of entire systems?

it doesnt, and if the Imperium wasnt being attacked from every angle at the same time, they would have destroyed the weeabos already. as it is, we havent destroyed them because they are a minnow in the pacific ocean.

WLK

Archived