Chaplain conversion ideas

Gv0zD

Browsing through different BA images in my search for inspiration, I remembered the Angels of Death cover. As I don't like the current GW chaplain minis, I've decided to create my own, using existing DC bits and other goodies in my "hobby" box. As the chappy in the linked picture, I wanted mine to have similar halo on his helm. So I wanted to make one using Sang Guard's death mask.

And hence the question: can a chaplain's helmet be other than the skull, fluff-wise? Or the Skull-shaped helm is a necessary attribute of a Chaplain's service? Can the art-loving BA 'improve' the ugly skull-shaped helms? Also, I intend to run my Chappy mostly with DC, so (remembering the 4th ed when Chappies could control DC) him having human face-shaped helm should be pretty fluffy.

Feel free to express your ideas. If you have any ideas on custom Chappy build, I'd be grateful if you post them too.

What about one of those old timey Dramatic Masks. Where they were on a hand and only covered a part of your face. Either Affixed to the helmet sans handle. Or I rather like the idea that they would be busy fighting one handed. Turning the whole faith thing into a more literal dramatic experience. Intrigueing...

For what it's worth, the skull faced helmet is worn to represent the fact that the chaplain epitomises death. I think it'd be perfectly fine for him to wear the very aptly named Death Mask in it's place. It still evokes the impression in your enemies that he is the Emperor's wrath incarnate; mortality given form.

First off, Hi everyone. This is my first post on these forums and I hope its helpful. when I made my chaplain I used a head from the chaos box set of Emperor's Children Noise Marines.

http://i52.tinypic.com/hthbwn.jpg

I then filed down the top of the helmet and used the crown from a servo skull from the Devastator box set to create the halo over it.

http://i56.tinypic.com/4pa51.jpg

And that was pretty much it, hope this is helpful.

Blood Junkie!

Yea probably the best head available for a DIY chaplain, fortunatley I didnt have to buy the whole box set of chaos because my brother collects them and allowed me the privilege of checking through his bits box :)

Thanks for the replies, guys!

@ Blood Junkie Welcome to B&C! You've made a nice Chappy. I bet the crozius is also DIY  :huh:

@ Volcatus: there's a good link, mate, thank you! :)

if you read the chaplin it says that they wear both skull helms and death masks... i believe its paragraph 2.

Yeah, I should have looked through the Dex. It really says that Chappies wear "skull-helms or death masks". 

What about one of those old timey Dramatic Masks. Where they were on a hand and only covered a part of your face. Either Affixed to the helmet sans handle. Or I rather like the idea that they would be busy fighting one handed. Turning the whole faith thing into a more literal dramatic experience. Intrigueing...

Chappy has one hand holding the mask's handle, while he fights with his crozius like a rapier. This reminds of The Count of Monte Cristo, only in PA and with Chaos Daemon Prince instead of Dantes (not to be confused with Lord Dante :P ). Looks artistic enough  :lol:

There was a really very beautiful illustration on the cover of the old RT era Warhammer 40k Compendium I think of a force of Bood Angels with a Chaplain in all silver artificer armour. Very nice

Is this an image you're talking about? 

That was my desktop background for quite some time. It's one of my favorite pieces of 40k art.

Funny thing is, it always makes me really, really want beakie Death Company — despite there not being any such beakies in the picture. I think it's just the proximity of beakies and DC next to each other that makes me want to combine the look.

Honestly, MkVI is the best power armour and I would have done my whole army in that if I could afford it.

I did something similar to BloodJunkie (you can see my Reclusiarch here).

The tutorial Volcatus posted is nice, but can be done a lot easier. There are loose skulls from a lot of Fantasy kits that you can get from bits sellers that are the same size so you don't have to mess with cutting it from the chains. The skull can also be set a bit more forward on the base so that the "neck" isn't as apparent and you could even add a lower jaw to the skull if you felt adventurous enough. Lastly, the crest on the top is not necessary, skipping that would allow you to use the head in termie armor.

Archived