Airbrushes & Compressors

IronKobra

I have seen some on eBay for a really good price and I am really considering grabbing one as a set. just a price alone seems like I can really get my moneys worth seeing as I have seen basic compressors go for around £90 alone.

I was thinking purely for mass/large model work for early basecoat stages and washing afterwards mainly. I am not a big fan of the GW spray gun as it seems to have very little control and is purely for using foundations on a whole squad. I know thats what I said I wanna use it for, but there seemed to be a LOT of waste from the wide spray of the GW nozzle that would be nice to avoid. And if I get a decent airbrush i can get a little more adventurous as time progresses.

Anyone got a verdict on them? Tips and advice?

I'm currently using an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS, and I have to say, I can't be happier. Double-action helps with paint flow; pushing down on the button gets you more air, pulling back gives you more paint. While they're wonderful for mass production and early brushing stages, they provide some WONDERFUL detail as well.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n528/Vindicatus_133/015.jpg

The sword and the Object Source Lighting from the muzzle flash (and the muzzle flash itself) were done with an airbrush.

As for compressor, there's only two real things you need with it:

1> Pressure Regulator (so you don't go spiderwebbing paint onto your wall)

2> Moisture Trap (so your paint doesn't get all running in some places and tacky in others).

Only piece of advice I can give for it is clean it. Seriously, get up, take a toothbrush and learn how to take it apart down to the spray nozzle, and scrub the crap out of it; the minute things get gummed up inside of the nozzle head, your brush stops working, and you'll stop producing quality results. Hot water and some sort of biodegradable acrylic solvent (I use stuff called Krud Kutter Graffiti) will clear it out if you forgot to clean it up, but requires a little bit of elbow grease to make sure you got all the bits and the flow areas are cleared.

You have (generally) two tips you can choose from, .35 and .5 - I believe mine came with a .35.

As far as using them indoors, absolutely. If you're going to be doing a lot of heavy spraying (basecoating), then you might want to run a fan off to the side and crack a window (and always wear a dust mask). I used to live upstairs in an apartment, and neither my downstairs neighbor or the one right next door could hear my compressor running. Just make sure that you lay out something you don't mind getting dusted with paint. I have a little rubber mat that I use to spray over and on (because I usually pin the pieces with a long paperclip and stick it into the rubber to make it stay and dry evenly), and beneath that, I have a big Masonite board.

Actually you have a larger range of tips to choose from, at the very least 0.3, 0.35, and 0.5. Not every tip is compatible with every airbrush, so you'll have to look up what is actually available dependent on the model/brand you choose.

Insofar as what the cost range of an airbrush should be, that's difficult to narrow down. Part of it is branding (Iwata's and Aztecs will cost more than a Badger, which costs on average more than a Masters brand), but you're also looking at the specific design/model, it's features and accessories. Type of airbrush (gravity vs siphon feed, single action or dual action, internal vs external mix), etc. All these will factor into just how much an airbrush can cost. I've seen them run from $30-$40 for a cheap low-end siphon feed single action internal mix that has no accessories, to something mid-range that's $400 or $500 for dual feed, dual action, internal mix with plethora of tips to choose from.

The bottom line is how familiar are you with using an airbrush? A master will be able to take a relatively "cheap" airbrush and do great things with it, where a noob will take something that's worth ten times as much and produce garbage. Your best bet, if you're new to airbrushing, is to invest in a decent low-mid range airbrush that suits your needs, and go from there. Don't buy something with accessories you're never going to use, but on the other hand don't skimp out and get something that can't even meet your basic needs!

If you're looking to do mostly basecoating, and lots of it, but nothing else, consider getting an airbrush that has the following features:

Siphon Feed, Single Action, Internal Mix

Relatively cheap, all it'll do is put paint to model and as long as you keep it clean, will do it well. Shouldn't run you more than $100 for something like this (although more than likely much less). It's also a very simple type to keep clean, although you NEED a compressor. A Siphon Feed holds much more paint, meaning less mixing and you can hold much more paint, so you're not constantly having to reload your airbrush. It's a point and click airbrush so there's not much to it, and it won't break your wallet.

If you're looking to do mostly detail work, something you can finesse with, then consider getting an airbrush that has the following:

Gravity or Side Feed, Dual Action, Internal Mix

Variety/Optional tips are at your discretion.

A Gravity or Side Feed airbrush holds FAR less paint than a Siphon Feed airbrush, meaning you will, if using lots of paint, need to reload your brush frequently. However, the smaller pot makes the airbrush less clunky and easier to maneuver. It also uses less air (a non-issue if you have a compressor). They are however far more difficult to clean and depending on the specific model + options, can get quite expensive.

As for mess, prepare for a lot of over-spray. Even if you don't notice it at first, it builds up over time, especially if you're painting in the same spot, and painting a lot. Either be diligent in wiping down surrounding surfaces, or spray in a well-ventilated room. Or you can invest in a spray booth. Or do all of the above, depending on just how much space you can dedicate to your workstation.

I would at the very least recommend covering your table surface with newspaper or a garbage bag or old towel to prevent leaks and over-sprays from ruining your table. Avoid carpeted areas if you can.

DV8

Good advice there from the Brothers.

The first AB I bought was a Ventus (chines brand) which goes for some 20€ at Ebay. Its dual action, gravity feed and .25 needle. Works quite decently.

As for the compressor, I got the elephant which went for some 50€.

Total 70€ and it gets you working more than decently and will be enough to do any job short of being professional :D

I've had an Airbrush (Badger 350 Versatile set) for near a year now and not been brave enough to use it.

I'm hoping to start painting my chaos forces soon, is there anything I can use it for? I mean, I'm pretty dense when it comes to these things, and need a practical example of use before I can do something.

There are ton of tutorials out there, check youtube :P

However, I suggest you get yourself some decent airbrush paints (Model Air Vallejo work good) and just learn how to control de dual action by drawing lines, circles and so on... just use a cardboard box and have fun! Draw symbols, icons and basically anything you feel like, since the idea is to get the hang of how it goes.

Once you are confident witht hat, learn how to mix your paints (as in how to thin them)... its really easy once you learn how to, but the first 10000000 times its a pain :P

Last...AB are precision tools: maintenance is very important or you'll have problems from day 1. Learn how to clean it (really easy) and how to store it. Better spend 1 minute cleaning up after doing stuff than finding next time you pick it up that its all clogged and you need to strip it and work HARD to clean it.

Hope it helps!

Archived