Painting Deathwing and Robes

shortysl

I'm aware this topic should most likely be in the PCA forum but i'm also aware that no one on this forum has more experience of painting Bleached Bone than Dark Angels. My painting style is very 'clean', that is to say i basecoat, then maincoat, then detail. I don't highlight and i don't use washes (last time i used a wash it turned my terminator orange). After 14 years in the hobby, and after seeing some of the amazing models on these forums, i need to improve my painting technique. I appreciate any input that can be given, i'm mostly after shadow/highlighting techniques on terminators and robes but any advice is good advice as far as i'm concerned. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

It's simple really. Basecoat with bleached bone, wash the whole model with brown, paint the main plates with a 50/50 mix of bone and white leaving the brown-washed bone showing in the recesses, then highlight the armor's edges with thin lines of pure white. That takes care of the armor, then you can go back and paint all the details. Hope this helps! :D

I switched to Vallejo paints but here is my method.

Basecoat Bestial Brown

1st coat 50/50 Snakebite Leather / Bleached Bone

2nd coat Bleached Bone (Bone is typically thin so the above is just to lighten it up)

Highlight 50/50 Bone / Skull White

Another style that is in the Librarium is the Storm Ghost tutorial that uses a streaked method that give bone an interesting look. I have used it on some of my minis and I am happy with the results.

Archived