Wet blending problems!

reaver13

I'm starting to learn wet blending but I'm having issues with the paint consistency. The paint seems thick despite using flo-aid and water to thin it. Paints are band new as well.

Basically what is happening is as I start to blend two colors the paint almost takes on a gel like quality and becomes very easy to pull off the model. One heavy brushstroke will wipe away everything that I just did.

Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated!

I'm going to assume that you're using Citadel/GW paints?

That, my friend, is part of the problem. For ages I've had issues trying to wet blend, and it takes a lot of time and a HELL of a lot more patience to do it through acrylics.

My solution? It's called Duo Aqua Oil (by Holbein). It's a water soluble oil paint. That means it's a lot easier to clean, dries faster, and has more working time than standard GW acrylics that dry if a fruit fly passes over the paint. While I haven't yet applied it to a model (I haven't found one yet worthy of the effort going into it), I've fiddled with it, and it worked fantastically on scrap models. Minds were seriously blown.

Even still, that's water based acrylic colour, which dries redonkulously fast and tends to adhere to itself.

Water based acrylics are sort of (in)famous for this. the only thing you can do is add water, flo-aid, and literally keep picking up paint off of your palette to try to blend it in with other freshly laid paint.

Archived