Successor Chapter Interrogator Chaplains

Viray

I have a question concerning, as the title of this thread implies, Interrogator Chaplains of Dark Angels Successor Chapters. What I want to know is this: do Successor Chapters actually have such offices? I was thinking about it and I found it somewhat strange for a Successor Chapter to have such Chaplains when I would presume they send all captured Fallen to the Rock. I don't think I've ever heard of an instance where a Fallen Angel was broken by any Marine other than a Dark Angel.

I do hope I'm wrong since I want to have my Chaplain modelled with a Blade of Reason (despite the fact that the new fluff states that now there is only one :P ).

As far as everything is concerned, Successor Chapters would certainly have Interrogator-Chaplains. Whether they send all the captured Fallen to the Rock or not, have no idea, having never seen any fluff specifying this, but the office would exist out of necessity in at least the first three Dark Angels Successors, and likely others. One could imagine that they keep their Fallen in their respective Battle Barges or Fortress Monasteries. Maybe they ultimately transport their non-repentant Fallen to the Rock for ultimate incarceration... one would suspect so.

Could you please expand on the necessity for Interrogator-Chaplains in Successor Chapters? I understand that the Second Founding Successors would most definitely hold traditions closely linked with that of the First Legion (I mean, originally, it was only those four Chapters who were considered the "Unforgiven," right?), but I still can't seem to understand why such an office would be necessary if the Fallen would be delivered and interrogated on the Rock.

Perhaps you mean the office of an Interrogator-Chaplain is necessary because it is important for a Chapter to keep its secrets, thus segregating offices through a heirarchy like the Dark Angels, so that only the most worthy can know the full truth? Still, such segregation wouldn't actually warrant Interrogator-Chaplains in the purest sense, would it, just a higher level of Chaplain like a Master of Sanctity of some such?

Or am I still missing the point?

Well say the Disciples of Caliban snag a Fallen in a sector somewhere. Their job being to hunt down Cypher, they would need to get their info somehow to follow up. Not really needing him to repent but give up either more Fallen or maybe Cyphers possible local. Then later sending him on to the Rock.

edited for spelling.

Could you please expand on the necessity for Interrogator-Chaplains in Successor Chapters? I understand that the Second Founding Successors would most definitely hold traditions closely linked with that of the First Legion (I mean, originally, it was only those four Chapters who were considered the "Unforgiven," right?), but I still can't seem to understand why such an office would be necessary if the Fallen would be delivered and interrogated on the Rock.

Perhaps you mean the office of an Interrogator-Chaplain is necessary because it is important for a Chapter to keep its secrets, thus segregating offices through a heirarchy like the Dark Angels, so that only the most worthy can know the full truth? Still, such segregation wouldn't actually warrant Interrogator-Chaplains in the purest sense, would it, just a higher level of Chaplain like a Master of Sanctity of some such?

Or am I still missing the point?

As DAG42 said, plus sometimes, it would not be feasable or even possible for each and every Fallen captured by the Successors to be transported to the Rock. As the Unforgiven are primarily, though not universally, fleet-based, and each fleet could be spread throughout the galaxy, or even broken up into smaller fleets, the possibility of sending sorties of Inner Circle VIPs to imprison/interrogate the captured Fallen Angels, wherever the Rock happens to be at the time, would be very slight. As each Successor maintains some form of Inner Circle (though the actual knowledge of each may vary somewhat, depending upon the Chapter), they would also need to maintain certain offices in order to keep the process of Hunting the Fallen smooth, as well as keeping the rank-and-file Battle Brothers ignorant as to what is gong on. The Interrogator-Chaplain is one of the key gatekeepers to the dungeons where such Fallen would be kept, not necessarily all of which are located beneath the Tower of Angels, and all Successors who are collectively Unforgiven would require such offices within their respective Inner Circles in order to function in regards to the post-schismatic Legion's mission to make each Fallen repent of his sins against the Legion.

That, and they're in the Codex, so there's no reason not to play one, if you want to. <_<

Archived