Mephiston WIP

CBL

Well, Brother Plague Angel, on the front of the Codex flying in the sky is a lone gold armoured figure. He presumably isn't a lost sanguinary guard, he seems to be leading an assault squad. He is wielding the Axe Mortalis and the Perdition/inferno/infernus pistol, not a wrist-mounted Angelus pattern weapon ergo Dante. However, he quite clearly has the golden wings, prominant large halo and trailing scrolls now seen on the back of the sanguinor model. Besides that we already had the pairing of two superpowered HQ characters, one in gold muscled armour and a death mask, one in flayed red armour with very long hair, which kind of points the finger of suspicion when a similar pairing of super HQ character models appear to accompany the new codex.

Hmm... well when you put it that way, it sounds pretty plausible.

I just can't imagine Dante with Sanguinor's hair I guess. Though I recently read Bloodquest and saw Dante without the mask... that was quite a shock for me. I was half-convinced he didn't have a head of his own at all!

So, I have been inspired to try harder by this thread. As of right now i have completely dismantled the model and am going to be trying a few techniques I found on the web to create the model I see in my head, no compromises. 2 hours spent last night trying to get the hood right, going to work on the cape tonight. Pic’s to follow, thanks for all praise guys, wish me luck!

Will have to look that up. It's like I have a vague impression that Tutankhamun had gold skin, and was quite surprised to see him reconstructed as mediterranean flesh coloured in the recent exhibition.

Unlike most wargames companies, GW don't produce undress, fatigue dress or on campaign variants of their figures. I never really know what spacemarines wear when off duty. Robes? Uniforms? Jumpsuits? Leotards?. They obviously find the backpacks cumbersome, and don't wear them in their vehicles but do they take their gauntlets and pauldrons off as soon as they get inside?

Will have to look that up. It's like I have a vague impression that Tutankhamun had gold skin, and was quite surprised to see him reconstructed as mediterranean flesh coloured in the recent exhibition.

Unlike most wargames companies, GW don't produce undress, fatigue dress or on campaign variants of their figures. I never really know what spacemarines wear when off duty. Robes? Uniforms? Jumpsuits? Leotards?. They obviously find the backpacks cumbersome, and don't wear them in their vehicles but do they take their gauntlets and pauldrons off as soon as they get inside?

pretty much every book has them wearing robes of some sort on the ships when not in armor.

Both lovely. Strengthens my conviction that Astorath was originally intended as the new Mephiston Model, as Sanguinor was the new Dante, then late in production they became additional (and unnecessary) new super characters by giving them different weapons. The bone/skull look of chaplains is well established and Mephiston was the only model with flayed body armour, not to mention the space marine with the longest hair. To find these attributes cropping up on a super chaplain model can't be coincidental. I'm therefore very pleased to see conversions, especially ones giving these models their proper weapons. I was actually just considering whether my Mephiston might benefit from a nicer backpack from the DC set.

I can see why you would think that, but that isn't how the sculptors work and it is just coincidental. The reason why they look the same is they were building off of existing themes. The Sanguinor and Astorath were never intended to be anything other than what they are currently.

Archived