Yet *another* "Starting BA, What should I get?" thread!?

Ebsy

Currently starting a BA Army (and 40k in general!) and I'm just after a bit of advice on what to buy. I've searched previous posts but opinions differ wildly. Basically here's what I've got...

I realise I've overdone it a 'little' bit on the Tacticals and as such I now have in total...

1 Captain (AoBR)

55 Tacs (!) (30 from AoBR via original box and ebay)

10 Terminators (all AoBR)

1 Rhino

1 Razorback

1 Dreadnought

5 Assault

5 DC

5 Scouts

5 Devs

The only thing is, it doesn't look much like a BA Army. Any advice on what to get next would be highly appreciated. I realise I need a HQ in there.

Currently strongly considering

the BA Battleforce for the RAS and DC (and the extra rhino will be nice for a future upgrade to Razorback)

Baal Pred?

Furioso?

Mephiston?

extra assault squad?.

Sanguinary Guard?

The options are killing me. I'm a little overwhelmed...

Thanks in advance.

Heya!

I have a similar thread too, and the best thing i found to buy so far is a Death Company box!

Using that, plus spare random tactical marine bits (since i too had about 20 more than i need/want), i made an extra 5 normal assault marines and a bunch of Death Company with various weapons (Some bolters and some pistols) And you get some generic BA Shoulders and weapons that you can use!

Just spread out the bits, say, 5 tac marine chests with 5 DC legs, and 5 DC chests and 5 Tac legs, leaving the remaining 5 Tac legs and chests for use with the Death Companies jump packs.

Since people seem to equip their DC with bolters, you can use their CC weapons for the assault marines (Again, spread them out over an existing 5 assault marines, as both the DC weapons and jump packs are very fancy, and you dont want to have 5 normal and 5 special, rather 10 mixed)

Hope this makes sense and helps!

Rinion,

Cheers for the reply but I think you may have misread a part which I should have made clearer. When I said they don't look like BAs I meant as an Army List. I've already got 5 Death Company in there and spread the extra bits round accordingly (what an *awesome* box)

So far the only BA type stuff in there are the 5 Death Company and the 5 Assault. My collection is currently very Tactical heavy and as such is more of a Vanilla SM list.

I'm looking for advice on what to get to flesh it out a bit more.

I think the BA Battleforce is a given as it'll give me the extra DC and Assault. But aside from that what else?.

Is the Baal Pred worth it at this time?

Sanguinary Guard?

Furiouso?

I'm leaning towards getting the Furiouso but I've a feeling that I just want it cos it's new and shiny. And the shininess could be blinding!

I think I'll convert a few spare tacticals to Sanguinary Priests in the very near future so I'll have them covered. And I think a Reclusiarch would be a good HQ choice right now.

Decisions, decisions!...

Ich think the first thing you need to do is to decide on whether you wanna play a mech list (tank heavy) or a Descent of Angels list (Jump Pack heavy) or some flavor of your own.

After that you can start to build your army. From what you got I'd suggest a meh list: get more Rhinos for your Tactical Squads, put the Assault Squad with a HQ (Epistolary) into the Razorback, drop the Dreadnought in a Drop Pod, buy a Land Raider for your Terminators. Also convert some Sanguinary Priests by all means (try that also with an AOBR Terminator) and yes, Baal Predators are very good (Assault Canon & Heavy Bolters).

You could always play a balanced BA list, which is the approach I tend to go for. As far as the furioso goes, if you wait another week for the new plastic furioso, you can fiddle with the arms and your current dread to effectively get 2 furiosos for the price of one, just as long as you don't want blood fists on both (you'll end up with 3 blood fist arms, 2 blood talon arms, a force weapon arm and a frag cannon arm), by mixing bits across. And if the arms aren't glued, you can mix and match them any which way you want, including fielding a shooty dread on occasion.

Now, characters...captains are good fluffwise, but disappointingly inferior in terms of battlefield effectiveness to the reclusiarch and librarian. I've played with both (including at the same time, that was great fun :) ), and they both work well as a force multiplier. For special characters, you mentioned Mephiston (the only character I've used), and he's basically a greater daemon thats easier to hide. If you want a psychic beatstick that can slap other armies silly, Meph's your man. Just don't expect to make many friends using him.

The Baal is quite handy, with the choice of "death-to-marines" flamer or assault cannon being up to you - I've seen people swear by both. Personally I use a dakka-Baal (same outfit as Parcival suggested). A priest might also be useful, adds to the BA feel and is exceptional in terms of battlefield effectiveness if you use him properly.

Hope thats helpful!

If you do get a Baal Pred, I would suggest using Heavy bolter sponsons and your choice of turret (you could even magnatise them, but I wouldn't recomand it since you just starting out).

Also, BEFORE you buy lots of stuff, try making a few army lists/looking at existing lists and see what you like. If you want a fluffy "Angels of Death" feel, DoA is for you. If you want lots of tanks going straight into your opponents face, then maybe mech instead. (be warned, if you make a Razorspam list you can find yourself getting bored quickly with the style of play, and you wont be making many friends if you do decide to persue this type of list). Finally, if you don't mind losing and just want to play for the fluff/fun, then you can do a massive Death Company Assualt wave sort of thing. This can be great fun with like 3 squads of 10 DC, amped up for maximum pain with Power Weapons and Power Fists.

just a few suggestions that came to mind.

And remember, THINK BEFORE YOU BUY!!11!@! :)

my 2 cents

Archived