True scale marine

sioka

best green stuffing i have ever seen, by true scale do you mean compared to an imperial guard model or actually a 9Ft space marine?

Thanks Son of Russ :P , by true scale I mean a full size marine so 7 and a half to 8 and a half foot tall marine inside a suit of power armour so the head and hands remain the same size but most of the rest changes. The lower legs look a bit shorter than they should do but this is because the legs are in a sort of slight crouching position the other thing that I wanted to achieve was to get a more realistic look to the peice. One of the things that the sculpt has done is to make me consider producing a diorama with a true scale marine and a guardsman just to show how bulky and intimidating a marine in power armour is in comparison to a human. In answer to the sculpting tools question I use a mixture of clay shapers, gale force sculpting tools ( I can't recomend these enough, dont buy a G.W sculpting tool get these) and some that I have made myself.

O.k another update not much to say apart from gun will change and backpack is still in early stages. Most of these are just to keep a record of progress and to show some of my method, all the power armour is finito apart from some subtle blending conversion in to existing plastic bits ( like shins). Started on fine detail bits and sorry for taking pics of stuff when the green stuff is still soft :D . Enjoy.

gallery_58523_5677_558999.jpg

gallery_58523_5677_735931.jpg

gallery_58523_5677_60547.jpg

gallery_58523_5677_801908.jpg

Are the bits (arms/legs/pack) fixed in place? If not you should really cast this one to save yourself some time on the rest fo the army!

Its a good idea but this is a one off figure made for the pure enjoyment of painting and sculpting and I am using it to simply learn the process of sculpting things and scratch building things. Also to get a nice cast is not easy as you need suction pumps and dehumidifyers and a whole load of stuff that I can't afford, obviously its easy to do without but it leads to more work later fixing any air bubles and miss casts etc.

With all due respect to all the great scultptors that stop by B&C, this is the finest, cleanest, sharpest and smoothest GS work i have seen in 10 loooong years of hobby.

If you paint like you sculpt, that is gonna be a hell of a masterpiece.

Hello again, the ninja is back :huh: . Just a quickie as I noticed that some peeps were asking about painting and colours/chapter preferance etc ... Yep I will be painting him although this whole project is going to be a slow one as it is an excuse to paint/sculpt a miniature just for me and to sit in my display cabinet and not one of my clients :D , seems that apart from my army ( its kinda small at the mo due to painting for other people!!) I dont have a lot of painted miniatures of my own. So this is an excuse to take the time to learn some skills and produce a display quality peice for myself. Pictured under here some place is a nice large picture of my own army from a Chapter of my own creation 'Brothers of Isis' my big marine will be painted in the same way but to a much higher standard. I will be base coating him at the same time as the 10 strong assault squad, 20 terminators, rhino and drop pod that are waiting for some good temperature to spray in so that gives me a little longer to work on him but not too long.

gallery_58523_5510_1724065.jpg

As for sculpting tools, yes I use clay shapers a size 0 taper point, size 0 angle chisel but for large bits of smooth surface and the one I use most a size 2 flat chisel also a Gale force sculpting set and loads of other tools I have made myself. Also a very important bit of kit a good sharp and clean scalpel blade for cutting away unwanted green stuff.

Don't mind the color blind kid but are those orange? I love orange marines(even tried them once myself) and have found it is not the easiest color to work with.

Also your true scaled marine is gorgeous, its so smooth that I first guessed that you had cut it out of something with some sort of machine.

Also do you have any pictures of marines you have done for commision?

Those Orange marines are beautiful, is that your own chapter?

Your sculpting is incredible, can't wait to see the terminator? Ever thought of a true scale diaroma of astartes vs xenos,maybe something like a marine and a striking scorpion locked in cc on the floor with blades?? Just food for thought ! Man that would look legendary!

:) Ninja returns, thanks for all the nice comments its very motivating for me. Todays post is not a big one, just finnished the wings off on the chest peice and thought I would share the photos. I guess thats nearly all the work on the body done only the replacement skull for the belt and some purity seal stuff here and there left to do, the more I look at the bolt gun the less convinced I feel to change it too much as it seems like the right scale now... what do you think?? Next up finnish off the back pack and I promise to do a step by step on painting orange at some pooint in time too.

gallery_58523_5677_144451.jpg

gallery_58523_5677_851851.jpg

Now for a quick journey to the freezer for some ice cream!

Oops I think I just had a trouser accident! The orange marines are spanking. The sculpting on the marine is fantastic! You say you use vasaline to help with the smoothing instead of water, does this not leave an oily film? If so how do/will you remove it before painting?

Any chance of a photo of the mini straight on? I can't tell from the angles but it looks like the arms might be sitting a bit wide i.e. throwing the proportions.

No probs mate I will post one up in the next installment, you are right I think and it has been nigling at me but the problem is mostly to do with marine armour only working with heroic proportion. One of the things I did before starting the project was to make a series of sketches showing how marine armour works and the main thing it did was convince me that unless you make significant changes to the marine inside the armour or change the armour it just wont work, as a marine is physicaly altered to be bigger and to fit in to standard marine armour a normal human would have to shrink even further so I figured the bit that needed changing would be the armour. I realy wanted to make a diorama of a marine getting ready for battle putting on his armour and having his weapons blessed. But the lack of reality to the peice made it a project I did not want to work on :( , maybe if enough people are interested I will post some of my sketches and things like that.

Hezrou Posted Today, 11:09 AM

Oops I think I just had a trouser accident! The orange marines are spanking. The sculpting on the marine is fantastic! You say you use vasaline to help with the smoothing instead of water, does this not leave an oily film? If so how do/will you remove it before painting?

Depending on how the vaseline wears as it is rubbed off during handling I soak the figure in warm soapy water and give it a gentle brush with an old tooth brush, sometimes this needs to be done as new layers are sculpted on to make sure the work sticks properly and there are no weak points. Another lubricant that can be used for working on a sculpt is K.Y jelly as it is water soluble but I have not tried it personaly as I cant face walking in to a shop and buying the stuff :) . Any how :) the ninja is off to breakfast mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Archived