True scale marine

sioka

It's this very problem that causes me to like the artwork of adrian smith/alex boyd. Especially the space marine pieces where the chests aren't quite as wide as the hips, makes it look a little more anatomically correct

;) Just a quickie from the ninja, been working on some sketches for Master of the Forge stuff so I thought it would be cool to give you folks a looksee.

gallery_58523_5782_823039.jpg

This is the first ink sketch and it has a lot of faults etc also no specific chapter or personal hereldrey to see.

gallery_58523_5782_636310.jpg

The second sketch is closer to what I had in mind but again lots of faults and still no personal hereldrey, the conversion beamer on this is better than the first version. Any how I'm off to see the Mrs catch you all later, ninja out :P

Not only are you an amazingly talented sculptor and artist. But you also know what you're doing with the camera! For a model this size (though larger than normal) your picture skills of close up are fantastic.

And post #90 by you was greatly informative.

I'm not sure of what I should be most envious of....I think it must be the exhausts on the backpack. Perfect circular pieces that could have easily been done in plasticard...sigh...

almost one down...

I agree post #90 has helped me out immensely. Thanks so much for the information. I would like to see a size comparison of your marine next to a standard one. I know I am not alone when I say we need to see more of your work. I like the second MoF with the first head btw.

• 5 weeks later...

:ph34r: It seems a long time since I was last sneaking round here late at night. Sorry for the lack of updates but things have been busy recently with various projects.

I decided it was time to finish a figure that I started a year and a bit ago but didn't realise how much of a mess I had made of it, this was quite a bad time for me as I was ill and just wanted to paint something to stop me going insane. Due to a lack of time I have been trying to resist the urge to strip this figure and have made a deal with myself that at some point I will buy another and paint it to its full potential, in the mean time I will try to remove some of the mould lines that were missed originaly and clean up the most noticeable bits that bug me.

These are some pics of Charlie (I call him this because he likes to wear black and he is kinda pasty in the face....) before I take sand paper and putty to him

gallery_58523_5510_70380.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_91681.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_98257.jpg

I just had a quick look at the pictures and the mould line on the helmet is bugging the :cuss out of me!

My true scale project will continue very soon but I would like to wait before posting more pics. Well thats all from me tonight :ph34r: , ninja out.

:P Daytime sneaking about for once! Well after my last post I decided that the power spray was the only way to go after all Charlie is one of my favourite minis and should be treated to a clean up and nice coat of paint.

gallery_58523_5510_879363.jpg

power spray done good, also my fine sand paper/scalpel scraping/and wire wool has got me mini with less pitting in the surface. Next part is to fill any large holes and or resculpt any bits that are poorly cast such as.....

gallery_58523_5510_111716.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_58825.jpg

and there was me thinking my ingrown toenail was bad :sick:

I managed to remove the worst part of the mold line and now will be able to correct the rest with a fill and sand back, there are other areas like this due to a poorly lined up cast and they will recieve the same treatment

gallery_58523_5510_672827.jpg

Here are some comparison shots so you can see how badly pited this figure was

gallery_58523_5510_423172.jpg

the arm has been cleaned up and is awaiting fill and sand treatment, the jump pack is pretty much straight from the power spray

gallery_58523_5510_201223.jpg

I'm not sure if I will use this jump pack on Charlie as some of the sculpting is a touch thick also some of the miss cast areas are in hard to get at places I have spares but the plastic jump packs need a fair amount of work to make look nice too.

Off to lunch..... ninja out ;)

I know it's a bit late to say so but holy crapola those MotF sketches are great! *Saved*

And, uh, I take it the chappy you are filing and tweaking now WAS the fully painted one from earlier in the thread, right? The VERY well painted one from earlier? Madness! Madness I tell you! :P

And, uh, I take it the chappy you are filing and tweaking now WAS the fully painted one from earlier in the thread, right?

Yup one and the same, think of it as a reverse wip :P . I have been filling all of the dents and pits with milliput this morning and have now added a guide coat of Halfords grey primer. When the guide coat is nice and dry I will go back to the filling and adding the rivets back on that had to be removed as they lacked any definition also I will resculpt the foot. On a plus side the mold lines are gone :lol: .

:ph34r: Ah this is more like it, another late night ninja mission in to the B&C and with loads of pics too. Some of you may think that my true scale project had been abandoned and with the lack of posts of the big guy I dont blame you but in reality he is alive and well. I have added the lower vents to the pack but they still need some smoothing out and detailing before they look right...

gallery_58523_5677_813831.jpg

The size comparison shot I promised ages ago but got distracted by things :wacko:

gallery_58523_5677_745381.jpg

I was most happy with the contents of the AOBR box game because the Ork figs are sweet however the marine figs were a bit less cool. The sergent for the tactical squad was sat in my parts box for nearly 2 years and then I decided to saw him in half and get rid of the upper body and make him beautiful...

gallery_58523_5677_234575.jpg

Yes there are mold lines on some of the parts, they will be removed as will the bolt pistol to be replaced by a drum feed bolt gun.

Now over to the progress on Charlie

My time has been spent removing the evil pitted surface of this otherwise superb figure so that when the paint goes on its smooth. The first step after the getting it shiney with files, scraping with scalpel, sanding and superfine wire wool was to apply very small amounts of Milliput to any obvious dents and dings. This is quite a tricky thing to do as it is hard to see the smaller dents on a reflective surface but is quite worth the effort for a nice looking mini. Next up is the primer spray, this is only a very very light coat and as you can see some of the metal is still visable slightly. The main reason for using this is to highlight any further areas in need of filling, these are the ones that would otherwise drive you nuts as they only show up when the paint is on ^_^ .

With my guide coat/primer set I mix up another batch of Milliput and add this to any areas that still need filling, again this is a slow and tedious thing to do but it makes for less pain later when you take photos and see some huge mold line you missed. Here are the pics of my progress so far, there are some more little bits to sort out but most of the prep is now done...

gallery_58523_5510_63010.jpg

That huge dent in the front of his shin is gone as is the one on his thigh, a closer look and you can see how thin the guide coat is and also the greeny grey patches of the Milliput

gallery_58523_5510_62896.jpg

Here you can see the rivets that have been resculpted due to the old ones getting removed (generaly these are always an issue on metal figures due to the wear of the mold on raised surfaces) also more Milliput work to fill in the mess left due inacuracy in the cast. The foot is still awaiting its resculpting and will probably get done later today.

gallery_58523_5510_568319.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_47069.jpg

The final peice of tonights post is the start of the replacement of the jump pack. When I started on this the jump pack was an item that I hoped it would be possible to save but the damage/poor cast made salvage next to impossible, this is mainly due to the pack having so many overhanging areas and loads of detail (better suited to a multi part plastic kit). So I tried various ways to correct the mess but it seems easier to just build+sculpt my own version, I have a few spare plastic jump packs (these also need tweaking to look right blame again the 6 handed god of lame casting). So here is my first go at mini wing decoration, this will most likely get scraped off and redone as it looks a touch poop but you only learn by giving things a try.

gallery_58523_5510_6083.jpg

I hope you enjoyed tonights installment, I'm off to take the Mrs to the station for her job interview catch you all later.

ninja out

:ph34r:

As always, looking great Sioka! Personally I like what you've done already on the jump pack but I know you're a perfectionist!

Look forward to seeing what else you do to it.

Cheers Wings glad you like it mate, I just want to make it look neat and keep the feel of the peice. Its very much a case of a horific cast from an old mould and just taking the time to clean up the bits I can and rebuilding the bits that are too bad to use.

You're an insanely talented drawer frater and the smoothness of your GS work is impressive too (ever though working in milliput though, like Yellow-grey ?).

DS

Thanks mate very kind of you :pirate: . I use Milliput mixed with Green Stuff for armour etc and on its own for gap fills due to its sandability, in fact the chaplain is covered in the stuff. Its also quite nice for base bits and bulking out from a wire frame.

Outstanding, sir. And you've named him Charlie, awww. :D :P You're dedication to detail has so far impressed me - I can't wait to see Charlie finished (again). :tu:

Uhm wow! Your sketches are just so amazing and I can only say that I wish I could sculpt purity seals as good as you did on that Sergeant (in the size comparison shot) because my Word Bearers would be decked out with as many of those as I could sculpt!

Mr.Malevolent

:D Good morning peeps in my quest to rebuild a nice jump pack for my chaplain out of the standard GW plastic version + some minor additions I have removed the first try at the sculpted wings and first sorted the join area out with my favourite GS + Milliput. Once this had cured I added a winged skull made from a press mould, after my iron snake commission and the troubles with matching mirror iconography I thought learning how to make and use press moulds would be a good idea (obviously for a commission peice I would not use a mould made from anything other than one of my own sculpts). The pic shows the state before my 2nd tidy up pass with the sculpting tool, the use of the tool is just to get all the edges nice and sharp and to put back any of the detail lost in the process.

gallery_58523_5510_557676.jpg

The next thing I have been working on is teaching myself a good way of sculpting chain out of putty, I have spent about half an hour today mucking about with some putty and here are the results... first go at the top, last at the bottom

gallery_58523_5510_359495.jpg

This is a closer shot of the bottom 3

gallery_58523_5510_46856.jpg

For my fist go at making chains I am quite happy with the outcome and I have had some ideas on how to get a better effect with the same amount of effort. In regards to using real chain I had also considered using some and fixing it in place with super glue then to add more strength and support back filling it with putty, maybe when I have the cash to get some chain I will try this method as it would look more realistic with the links sat so every link makes contact along one edge.

I'm off to take down a radio mast and book my time in a glider, ninja out ;)

Sorry about that mirror image issue! :D I picked up the commission pieces yesterday and have to say they are even better (if possible) in the flesh!

To anyone thinking about getting some work done, I'd recommend Sioka's work to anyone!

You're making great progress on the jump pack, can't wait to see what else you do to it. I never understood why they are a two-part piece!

One question about the true scale marine, are you planning on keeping the main vent exhausts that deep? They seem quite chunky in comparison to the central exhaust.

This is definitely coming along nicely.. Your approach on these minis is truly inspiring for me since I'm a little perfectionist myself ;)

One thing that immediately sprang to my eye though were those awefully GW-sculpted purity seals on the chaplain's back pack - I'd definitely get rid of those! Even more since you're such a talented sculptor as demonstrated on the upscaled marine etc.

Other than that, nice progress so far...keep it up! :)

Sorry about that mirror image issue! ;) I picked up the commission pieces yesterday and have to say they are even better (if possible) in the flesh!

Not a problem mate it was loads of fun and I'm glad you like them, it just got me thinking about methods to keep things nice and uniform.

With the vents do you mean the recent additions? they are a bit long and I may decide to sand/file them back a bit. I think that I have been draging my heels a bit cause its a scary prospect putting the paint on it :P !

One thing that immediately sprang to my eye though were those awefully GW-sculpted purity seals on the chaplain's back pack - I'd definitely get rid of those! Even more since you're such a talented sculptor as demonstrated on the upscaled marine etc.

Thanks mate you are right about those purity seals they are ;) so I have removed them and will make my own, thanks for the heads up ;).

Archived