True scale marine

sioka

• 2 weeks later...
Fantastic stuff mate, loving the truescale marine especially. He's looking brilliant mate! :P

Thanks D.H, I promise to get some paint to him soon.

Well I have Charlie base coated sat on my desk so this is more of a catch up than anything. The pics show the completed sculpting work done to the foot and the last of the Milliput fill work on the bolt pistol.

gallery_58523_5510_19415.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_124598.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_117270.jpg

The jump pack has had both of the winged skulls added to it and the suspect purity seal bits have been replaced with a sculpted version.

gallery_58523_5510_251973.jpg

Here is a little extra I have been trying to sort out. This was my first serious go at G.S work so there are lots of bits that are not very good, I am happy with the pose but wanted to hide the areas where my G.S fu was lacking. The loin cloth and purity seal are the recent additions.

gallery_58523_5510_213701.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_393338.jpg

Thats all for now folks ;)

Your GS skills are absolutely amazing, I wish I had even half of your skill with the stuff, even being able to do purity seals like that would be a huge boon.

On that subject, any chance of a quick step by step on the sculpting of a seal like that?

;) Some progress to Charlie, this is the midway point of the scrolls and parchment of the seals. I decided that due to the large amount of parchment on this figure it should be painted with more care than my other minis. Both of the shoulder pads have had the orange to yellow fade added (this will be cleaned up further). For the strong colours I base coat with a thin layer of foudation paint:- Dheneb stone for scrolls etc and Macharius solar orange for the shoulder pads. One other thing to mention is that this figure is base coated with The Army Painter Base Primer Matt Black simply to try another brand of paint besides GW stuff, it seems good stuff and the fact they do a range of colours could make things like yellow (Imperial fists etc) lots quicker.

gallery_58523_5510_198495.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_340038.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_243802.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_286707.jpg

I'm gona go make myself a nice Whiskey drink and get back to my brushes Ninja out ;)

Noice. The blending on the black parts of the armour is really smooth, looks nice and hard. Also looks like you've done a great job on the parchment, looking forward to seeing more.

Excellent purity seals, brother. I too would like to see a sculpting tut on those. :tu:

Thanks mate, it seems madness that on a site like this its not been done before lots of times. I had a quick scan of the Tutorials and how to section but couldn't find one. Are you folks interested in a how to for purity seals??

Noice. The blending on the black parts of the armour is really smooth, looks nice and hard. Also looks like you've done a great job on the parchment, looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers Celes that black is a total :cuss to get right as the blending of dark colours on to a light background is lots easier also its not much fun because when its done right it just looks like the light catching on the mini is responsible for the effect :wacko: ! I will go back and touch up the black areas towards the end. The parchment is now finished and I am working on adding the text to it (or I would be but its hard to do that and type :D) and blocking out the areas for NMM gold.

Its hard to be a Ninja with a burst air bubble in your nike 5.0's! :ph34r:

Excellent purity seals, brother. I too would like to see a sculpting tut on those. ;)

Are you folks interested in a how to for purity seals??

Totally. I've seen and used purity seal tuts before but I've never quite been able to do long ones, like yours. :)

(Also - great paintjob. I use the word 'awesome' far too much but, frankly, that orange you've done is... you get the idea. :P )

:ph34r: Well looks like you have set a challenge for me Olisredan:-

I've seen and used purity seal tuts before but I've never quite been able to do long ones)

The next time I pick up the G.S a quick S.B.S will be posted in this thread keep an eye out for it mate :).

Todays work was to complete all the parchment and add the text to it (just realised I missed the one on the shoulder pad :lol: oh well just need to add text to it) and block in the areas for the gold NMM. Due to some poor brush controll I will need to rework the black on the back of the left leg but I wanted to do more to the black areas so its no big loss.

gallery_58523_5510_472890.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_959015.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_649241.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_651784.jpg

Seeing as you folks like the Orange here is a sneak peak of my next project (the arms are held on with bluetack)

gallery_58523_5510_37643.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_925093.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_142214.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_146093.jpg

It will be some time before I get to finish Captain Osiron as I am still thinking of what I want to put on his shoulder pads and text for his cloak. There are lots of things that need to be worked up to a better finish such as the green on the cloak needs to be taken further with more contrast as do the braids and gem stone. Does the gun at his hip count as a bolt pistol? if so where does the magazine end up or is this the same as fitting a squad of marines in a rhino?? :lol: I may want to add a bolter to him instead of the pointy finger.... ah too many options :geek:

Any way I'm off to feed a cat and drink an old fashioned, Ninja out :ph34r:

Does the gun at his hip count as a bolt pistol?

Yep.

if so where does the magazine end up or is this the same as fitting a squad of marines in a rhino?? ;)

Yep.

Lovely painting skills btw. :angry:

:P Evening all, well time for a small update to Charlie... I have been working on the NMM gold today and to reduce the chance of making a total mess of the whole thing I limited the aplication to one shoulder pad. One of the things that I wanted to get right was to set the reflective quality so that the effect worked better than my first try at NMM, to do this I took some photos of the figure with the brown base coat in place and a direct light source placed from the direction needed. I have also made some notes as to the paint mixes used to keep all the gold areas the same.

In the first set of pictures the midrange colours have been carefully blended all of these are based around brown and cream. At this point the effect is very subtle and lacks depth, to get the metalic feel I will need get more contrast in to the peice working all the way to black and white.

gallery_58523_5510_286550.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_18401.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_50845.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_33612.jpg

In this set I have started to work from brown in to a dark red and then starting to add black in to the mix. I am quite happy with how the effect is starting to come together now there is more contrast, some areas have been tweaked to get a more realistic reflective effect.

gallery_58523_5510_51236.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_47126.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_73503.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_29879.jpg

I will probably start working my way over all the other gold areas to bring them up to this stage before doing any more to this shoulder pad. Once this is done I will add the cream blend to any areas that are in direct ilumination and start working to white, so LOTS to do before anywhere near done.

Big thanks to Olisredan for the rules tips and sorry for keeping you waiting on the sculpting purity seals tutorial, I want to make some proper bolt pistol with magazine attached holsters so maybe both at the same time. Any how enough of my ramble... Ninja out :ph34r:

I think that this chaplain is some of the best blending work I've seen in a long time. I would love to know your recipe for the black armor. I plan on painting some non GW figures black and I think your method would look perfect on them. Any chance you could tell us how you did it? I understand that it must take a lot of patience, skill and practice to do it and I would like to get started on the practice asap. Thanks.

I think that this chaplain is some of the best blending work I've seen in a long time. I would love to know your recipe for the black armor. I plan on painting some non GW figures black and I think your method would look perfect on them. Any chance you could tell us how you did it? I understand that it must take a lot of patience, skill and practice to do it and I would like to get started on the practice asap. Thanks.

:D Thanks mate very kind of you. First thing is that for all the blends I just add water to my paints to thin them out and no wet blending just thin paint. The black was originaly going to be simple edge highlight stuff the same sort of thing as my first try at this miniature. After some thought about the NMM and my reasons for wanting to get the hang of it I figured that blending on the armour was the only way to go. Another reason was to expand my painting skills because its harder to blend up from dark colours than blending down from light colours, I find it good to try a challenge as it helps me to improve faster (also with this being one of my own figures there is no time constraint).

The colours for the highlights are Chaos black with P3 Heartfire (light orange) added in progressivley greater quantities up to a roughly 3-1 ratio (going beyond this point this mix starts to head more toward green and instead you may want to try Dwarf flesh instead of the P3). I started with this to avoid using any grey paints as these are just black/white pigment and will make the blends show up loads and will look too stark. I then started to work over the areas using Chaos black with Bleached bone added this again works better than adding greys as it is a very light brown sadly I kept no record of the quantitys of the mix. To keep the blends smooth I made very very thin mixes of Chaos black and worked them from the very edge of the blend back in to the pure black areas, also save some of your pevious highlight colour to water down further and blend back over the highlight to disguise the blend.

The black areas are only half way done and need to have a black glaze added to introduce some depth back in to the shadow areas and some more highlights added to any areas that are in direct light. What are the non G.W figures that you are painting?

amazing work man.... the fading is very nice... very nice... how long have you been at this business with modeling?

When I was a kid I painted back in the very early 90's for a year or so but never very good and then gave it up completely for about 15 or so years, then in late 07 a broken leg gave me 6 months of free time so started by painting (badly ;) ) some Dark Angels. I never had much time to paint up untill a year ago when more life happened and left me with lots of painting time. I started to concentrate on expanding my skills with a brush and then later due to getting fed up with the lack of action in some of the G.W figures started on the road to learning how to sculpt.

• 2 weeks later...

;) Well I have been putting off this bit of sculpting for as long as possible simply due to the fact that it was gona be a pain in the ass to do, the links were so small it took me several trial runs to get them right. After a little bit of hunting about for some suitable background noise I discoverd that The towering inferno was on You tube and settled down for an afternoon of putty pushing. I am quite happy with the end result and it is better than the chain on the original sculpt. Some of the links in the real tight spaces are a little bit less consistant but its not too visable on the finished figure.

gallery_58523_5510_49053.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_190749.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_308480.jpg

gallery_58523_5510_28440.jpg

Ninja out ;)

I dont get it. How do you do chains like that. Mine turn out like rubbish, so I stopped doing them :P

Overall your work is stunning. I got the feeling that one of the chaplains pads was blended in a strange way, but maybe I am seeing things wrongly again :P

- Natanael

Archived