Just noticed this in the Land Raider Entry

Tabgoi

taken from the lapes drop link that was posted:

This method allows planes to keep in motion and present as difficult a target for enemy forces as possible while still delivering its cargo in a prompt fashion. However, the drop sequence's low altitude allows for no margin for pilot error and a plane crash is a real danger. This method also allows planes to quickly deploy large cargo in a timely fashion instead of having to land and take off, which exposes the plane to enemy fire.

how can a frickin PLANE coming right for you be a hard target to hit? :blink:

i can totally see a thunderhawk dropping a landraider from a feet from the ground :D would hate to be under it when it drops though :wacko:

Though the entry may lead you to believe that the BA actually drop a LR from a Thunderhawk you will be surprised to learn this isn't entirely true. You see, the BA being a chapter known for doing something for the "lulz" has on more than one occasion used inflatable LR in numerous drops. This would account for the oft reported mishaps as the vehicle appears to careen accross the battlefield like a giant metallic whale flopping about as it disintegrates. Serving only as a distraction, the real LR are then given enough time from these tricksy antics to catch up to the front line units and then rush in with the lot of them. In addition, records show that despite Corbulos unfound hate for this tactic he was in fact the man to contract the construction of the flying LR which would solve all of their problems by both being able to fly and deliver troops while deep striking and what have you.

In real on topic-ness I can't see a LR drop going well unless it's from about 5 feet at most. The tracks have how much movement available to them thanks to that one of a kind Imperial suspension system? Oh yeah, about 3 inches. That suspension system must be made of hope, dreams, and unobtanium to survive that drop.

Some time ago while I commanded Scorpion CVR (T) there were a number of exercises I took part in where we deployed from aircraft.

The first was being an underslung load from a chinook with the load chains attached to the lifting eyes on each corner of the vehicle. The chinook flew in low and hovered with the Scorp just touching the ground, the load master released the chains and the chinook landed to the side where we (the crew) piled out to get the chains off and mount up. This was all part of the British experimentation with 'airmobile' warfare in the late 80's, So you also had Puma's landing with Infantry in the assault. The only real issue was that it took around five minutes to get the chains and lift gear off the Scorp, mount up and start up.

The second way was what we called TALO (Tactical Air Landing Operation). It was envisaged this operation would be used with an airmobile assault in capturing key airfields and the like. We would load the Scorps into a Hercules (C130) and it would be chocked down, on the approach to the target area the Herc would 'swoop' down (ie come in at around a 40 degree angel (bloody steep!) and level out over the runway with the rear ramp down. We would be mounted up, chocks released and as the Herc flew along and just above the ground we would drive out ready for a scrap! This one was better for us to get into the battle because as soon as we left the belly of the Hercybird we could fight.

I have got to say that when I read of the deep striking Land Raiders from Thunderhawks, the TALO was what I saw in my minds eye.

What I find funny is that they drop the land Raider from their Thunderhawk Transports, yet when you read the page where it shows the Chapters organization, the Blood Angels have less than 5 Transporters...

who says they ALWAYS use their transporters? sometimes they just push them out of their battlebarges/strike cruisers <_<

What I find funny is that they drop the land Raider from their Thunderhawk Transports, yet when you read the page where it shows the Chapters organization, the Blood Angels have less than 5 Transporters...

who says they ALWAYS use their transporters? sometimes they just push them out of their battlebarges/strike cruisers <_<

I...buh....guh... *Faceplam*

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k175/megamarines/1287791898372.jpg

Could it be that the Thunderhawk Transporter has an avionics jamming packing? Or maybe it launches gas clouds containing metal particulates that distort the radar signature of the Thunderhawk. I'm not sure how the modern smoke launchers work as far as mitigating IR sensors.

TLDR: Thunderhawk transports swoops in low, blows gas, nobody can see a bloody thing, it flies off, and then as the smoke clears there's a land raider gunning for your lines.

I've always liked to think that the Land Raiders are dropped from Strike Cruisers in orbit. Then, like divine meteors brimming with guns they come rocketing down to slam into the ground. They of course have the additional lift kit modifications for their tracks. To survive the landing, and to go off-roading.

Archived