Deathwing Terminator Unit Composition

Mattias

I find it funny how everybody switches to the TH/SS camp. Don't get me wrong, the SS is very good but I think that the loss of the I4 LC attacks is overlooked.

Example: Last friday I played a game against a marine player who fielded 5 TH/SS terminators. The deepstruck on my right flank and ran a few inches. In my turn I charged them with 5 terminators of which 3 of them had LC's. 3 terminators of another squad charged them as well, one of them had a powersword. Before he even got a change to strike the LC's and PS cut down 4 out of 5 terminators. Now if my assault squad would have consisted only out of TH/SS I would have suffered some casualties, because we would have struck at the same time.

Don't make decisions on effectiveness after the results of one fight. Statisically 12 Lightning Claw and 3 Power Weapon attacks would only kill about 2 TH/SS Terminators.

Claws will ultimately loose out to TH/SS in a straight up fight.

While you are correct Bartali. A full squad of TH/SS doesn't do better on the charge:

15 A * 1/2 = 7,5 hits

7,5 * 5/6 = 6,25 wounds

6,25 * 1/3 = roughly 2 unsaved wounds.

This in comparison to my squad I still have 3 PF and 3 TH attacks coming and reduced the amount of attacks the opponent can make by 4, because I allready killed 2 terminators. With only 6 return attacks left He will kill only 1 terminators on average, because I have a SS to catch one wound.

I have yet to do the math in a straight up fight between LC en TH/SS, but with the above math in mind I think that the LC will come out on top.

My Configs:

-------------

Belial with Claws, 3 X LC's, 1 TH/SS (Standard & Apoc using LC's), 1 LC/CML

In a Crusader:

I prefer LC's in this squad,simply because I get +3 attacks per terminator AND I get to reroll failed wounds!

(+1 for Banner, +1 for LC's, +1 for Assaulting)

Which means: 6 LC's @ I5, 20 LC's @ I4 & 4 TH @ I1

Statistically I should get 13 re-rollable wound rolls...

The fact of the matter is: If I throw this squad at something, it MUST die....

-------------

2 Long Range squads: 1 x TH/SS, 1 x CF/SB, 2 x PF/SB, 1 x PF/SB/CML

These guys generally just sit back and defend objectives

-------------

2 Medium Range squads: 2 x TH/SS, 1 x CF/SB, 1 x PF/SB, 1 x PF/AC

These guys are gonna be closer to the action and thus needs a little more protection

They are using the AC's because I find it works much better vs light tanks & transports

However, with the update to the CML (Heavy 2 instead of Heavy 1) I am going to have to test the blasting capability of them soon :P

I think the termi on termi fight is not the way to make the choice of which termies to use. (especially one where one side has 8 termies and the other side only 5 (consider the math if there are 8 TH/SS termies and your one squad of 5.) Consider what happens to your non TH/SS squad when it gets charged, by say DE incubi, or Howing banshees, or other high initiative PW/rending attacks. Your non SS termies are likely going to die, and not get to strike, making your squad worse in those situations. in addtion they are worse against low AP shooting. Now I'm not advocating running all TH/SS termies in every squad, but for the most part all TH/SS on the command squad is the best option, (except belial with claws.)

Archived