Sanguinarty guard weapons

Tzimisce169

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me why the weapons are 2 handed?

I know they are master crafted but that doesn't mean they need 2 hands to use.

Surely using both hands should result in a +1 Str bonus?

Also, I can't remember off the top of my head, do the guard get +1 A for 2CC weapons or not. Again using wrist mounted pistols and a 2h sword should result in a bonus.

Just for the record, I'm a space wolf player. I just think that the guard aren't as hard as the models suggest.

Any thoughts guys n gals?

Two handed is to keep them from getting the +1 attack for 2 CCWs. Also, the angelus bolters aren't pistols anyway, so they wouldn't get +1 attack with them.

Two handed (thus no +1 attack for 2 weapons) is supposed to balance them.

the Boltgun fires twice rather than once like a bolter/pistol. So in theory they get the same amount of attacks on a charge as using 2 CCW its prolonged engagements that they don't.

Fire the Boltgun 2 dice, Charge +1 dice, 2 base attacks = 5 attacks per base. Or if they had 2 CCW, fire pistol 1, Charge 1, Base attacks 2, 2ccw 1 = 5 Attacks per base.

The guard are a cool unit but since they have 0 ability to take Invun saves... they don't get to use something like Heroic Intervention etc, I find them very soft even with 2+ they NEED to have a Priest around them I have found or a Libby with the 5+ cover save...

I tend to use mine more as VV than SG sadly.

I dont think there ever was a +1S for 2-handed weapons in 40k... Was ther? Orks got a +2 for 'Uge Choppa's, but I cant recall anything giving +1S becasue it was a 2-handed weapon. 2-handed only meant you couldnt carry/use another weapon.

WFB on the other hand - +1S is all over the shop with their 2handed weapons (Flails and Halberd equivalents) and +2S with great Weapons.

Could be wrong though - just cant recall anyequivalent rule in 40k.

Yup... I must say both the sanguinary guard and the sanguinor(the most golden gold marine you'll get) are quite disappointing... Sure sanguinor pack quite a punch... But running around alone (not a IC) thinking he's mephiston with thoughness 4 is plain stupid (stopped playing with him after a friends slugga boys shoot him to death)...

Also he costs a bloody fortune to field...

Sang Priests did not get the +1 S for 2 handed weapon mainly because if theirs a priest any where with in range of the blood grail they get furious charge which if they already had +1 for there 2 handed swords it would be equal to +2S and that would be not in balance. So in retro spec there alot like terminators with a power sword, ie two shots moving 2 attacks normal +1 if charging. If priest near by +1 S, +1 Int FnP and its all good. good thing about Sang Guard that termi's can not is once on the field move farther, and sweeping advance.

Just with that info alone I saved my self the expense of buying BA terminators.

I think SG are great. The bolters arnt all that against power armor guys but its great against everything else. I keep mine behind my bulked out AS so anything that shoots at the SG gets a cover save from the AS. Works well for me most the time. While I would love for the weapons to give + str it would make them -way- too good. If it was +1 they would be str 6 I 5 almost all the time... add in the bolters, power weapons... that's crazy good imo

How I let him get shot to death? well, first you roll 3 1 on 3 dices, and then you roll 1-2-3 on those 3 = sanguinor dead from slugga boys...unlucky yes...

But my point was: a toughness that low is not enough for a character at that price...I mean... You can get loads of way more dangerous stuff for the same price. For example:any greater deamon, Mephiston, I dunno the peice for the different C'tan nor the swarm lord. But they'll preform and survive better than the sanguinor.

Sure the attack bonus is nice... But just how many charges can you get within those 6 inches?

He's not the deathstar he should be, his buffs are nice, but he's way to easy to kill(the people in my gaming community goes "oh...shiny" and kills him the first round of shooting.) 2+3++ is nice, but with 4 toughness he's easy to wound and rolling 3 1s on like 15 dices ain't that hard, even with feel no pain babysitting him he'll die eventually, and spending like 75 points extra on a character that can't wreak a veichle with ease, can barely kill anything big (I dislike throwing him into a 5 man squad of shooty termies even).

I've given the sanguinor his shot ( 25 games) and he's never done a proper job... Mephiston/dante never fail to impress though... And they are cheaper...

I still use the sanguinor in my sanguinary guard list cause It'd be heresy not to:P

I used to love the Sanguinor but after using him in near enough 10-20 games, I didn't feel he was making his points back. I've had some rotten luck with him against Tactical squads in combat and shooting and have barely used him since. I'm gonna redo my Sanguinor at some point and try using him again.

IMO he is only really good for killing IC and the unit or 2, if he's lucky that s. :(

I've honestly never used the Sanguinator him but I want to. I really want to start my own sanguinary guard army. It's good to see a mixed review. I know what not to do but to do is what I want to hear.

Oh, yeah Mephy is a real beast! I've stop using him though. Reason? I can just add more models to the table really. Nothing bad on his part.

Also, The "great uber mega death 6th member of twisted sister" (Mephiston) Is completely shut down by njal or any hard psychic def - Even standard librarians make him half as effective.

As to what the thread creator said hes looking for what to do over what not to do, I love Sang guard. I'm not even sure why the HQ vs HQ conversation is even going. I re-read the thread and didn't see anything talking about HQ. I personally find that Sang guard eat face. They don't need an invul save if you keep them behind AS to give em cover. Shield of Sang can give them a 5+... If you use AS as cover with a priest in he AS, you get the bonuses with your Sang guard. They're good they killy... that's what blood angels do, they kill stuff.

In a nutshell and in my opinion, in an all infantry army (doa) they wreck face. You just need to not treat em like a tac squad. Play smart with em. If nothing else if clobber the crap out of scoring units.

Now you mention it I don't remember the author asking about tactical advice either. I wonder why you so quickly forgot about that Till?

Oh you're right.

I've honestly never used the Sanguinator him but I want to. I really want to start my own sanguinary guard army. It's good to see a mixed review. I know what not to do but to do is what I want to hear.

You're the one who asked for it. My bad.

Archived