Captain Wargear?

dragonknight4275

So I was looking through the Blood Angels Codex recently, and I found something that contradicted itself. See, on page 84, the Captain's entry, it says that his wargear is (and I quote): "Power armour, boltgun or bolt pistol, chainsword, frag/krak grenades, Iron Halo." Note the bolded part, which says boltgun OR bolt pistol. Now see what it says in the Options section, at the very first selection of options: "Replace boltgun, bolt pistol, and/or chainsword with:" and then the whole list of replacements. However, notice that the options section says "boltgun, bolt pistol, AND/OR chainsword", meaning that a Captain could have all three, no? Please help me, because I want my Captain with twin lightning claws and an infernus pistol but I'm not sure if it's legal. Thanks!

its been asked a few times before. its like so:

boltgun OR boltpistol

chainsword

in the entry they say "boltgun, boltpistol and/or chainsword" because imho they were just lazy and listed all 3. you cant replace a boltgun AND a boltpistol because you simply cant have both. so you have 2 weapons tops.

boltgun OR boltpistol

chainsword

in the entry they say "boltgun, boltpistol and/or chainsword" because imho they were just lazy and listed all 3. you cant replace a boltgun AND a boltpistol because you simply cant have both. so you have 2 weapons tops.

This +1

You can only make 2 replacements. 1 for the chainsword, 1 for the boltpistol or Bolter which ever you have. You can not replace the other as you don't have it.

it also means you can if you want swap both bolter/boltpistol and chainsword for say a thunder hammer. why i dont know youd want to but you can...

youd still either have:

a: a chainsword

or

b: bolt pistol or boltgun

as you can only replace one at a time :rolleyes:

so you could have a boltgun and a thunderhammer....or a chainswrod and a thunderhammer...

for what its worth :lol:

it also means you can if you want swap both bolter/boltpistol and chainsword for say a thunder hammer. why i dont know youd want to but you can...

youd still either have:

or

as you can only replace one at a time ;)

so you could have a boltgun and a thunderhammer....or a chainswrod and a thunderhammer...

You can swap both the chainsword and the boltpistol/bolter. So 2 lightning claws or 2 thunderhammers are legal.

youd still either have:

or

You can swap both the chainsword and the boltpistol/bolter. So 2 lightning claws or 2 thunderhammers are legal.

This +1 (its swap "and or" not "or")

youd still either have:

or

dident say it wasent possible? :huh:

youd still either have:

or

as you can only replace one at a time B)

dident say it wasent possible? :huh:

I misunderstood your post before, thought you were saying only 1 could be replaced.

no worries james :lol: re-read my post and can see where the confusion came from :huh:

@roesor, yea thats basicly the reason many of use dislike the entry...that and the exclusion of any BA specific wargear like the glaive encarmie (even if it isent all that interestin to take...we dont even ggot the option! B) )

"Replace boltgun, bolt pistol, and/or chainsword with

you may replace bolter or BP depending on which one you choose to equip him with initially.

you may also choose to replace the CCW instead of the gun or in addition to it

so to re-write it

"Replace gun, and/or chainsword with...

There's a logical progression here, as others have stated.

The Captain has starting wargear of a Bolt Pistol or a Boltgun, and a Chainsword. When you buy the character, that is the first decision you need to make before giving him additional wargear. Since he can only take one or the other shooting weapon, he has two weapons to begin with. Not three.

He can then trade those two for two others listed in his Options. He cannot take a third, because he has nothing left to trade.

Simple.

boltgun OR boltpistol

chainsword

Lazy? What? But it's phrased properly. You can trade your boltgun. You can trade your bolt pistol. You can trade your chainsword. You can trade any of those three things for the same options. So it gets one sentence. As it should.

no worries james ;) re-read my post and can see where the confusion came from :D

@roesor, yea thats basicly the reason many of use dislike the entry...that and the exclusion of any BA specific wargear like the glaive encarmie (even if it isent all that interestin to take...we dont even ggot the option! ;) )

Exactly it's just like...what was the point of excluding them? Other than just to balance the army, and obviously to push towards the specials. It can't be coincidence that just about every special has 2+ but the normal captain can't, it's to make them look better and such, anyhoo...whatever O.o

no worries james :D re-read my post and can see where the confusion came from :)

@roesor, yea thats basicly the reason many of use dislike the entry...that and the exclusion of any BA specific wargear like the glaive encarmie (even if it isent all that interestin to take...we dont even ggot the option! ;) )

Exactly it's just like...what was the point of excluding them? Other than just to balance the army, and obviously to push towards the specials. It can't be coincidence that just about every special has 2+ but the normal captain can't, it's to make them look better and such, anyhoo...whatever O.o

Ive heard the argument its to puch teh spec characters, but most BA player from what i can see either already own the sculpts or are making there own because the sculpts are mostly sub-par.Like the ancient sculpt of the ancient man - dante, which i have owned for many many years now.

boltgun OR boltpistol

chainsword

Lazy? What? But it's phrased properly. You can trade your boltgun. You can trade your bolt pistol. You can trade your chainsword. You can trade any of those three things for the same options. So it gets one sentence. As it should.

its clear if you read the entire entry (or at least on what he starts with) the line itself isent clear at all and as you read it its an easy mistake to make to assume that he can have 3 weapons (and tbh our captain from the PDF codex could take 3....some weapons were "take a combi-melta" for example) so i can easily see where the confusion comes from.

Archived