simple green ineffective!

the primer only comes off in a few spots with vigorous brushing, did i spray too much on and the simple green just isnt enough?

if i wash them off, will the primer thats not coming off still be good? can i just respray the missing spots?

the simple green did a good job getting everything else off, but this spray primer must be pretty beastly, i left them in roughly 9 days.

Yeah unfortunately you will have a hard time removing primer with (m)any paint strippers as it has been said it bonds to the plastic. However, I don't see this as a bad thing as once you wash them goodly you don't have to worry about priming again! Just go over with a watered down coat of paint on primer and done deal!

As I mentioned on another thread, you might want to try out this stuff I found called Krud Kutter : Graffiti. It's meant to take off rattlecan and acrylic paints of all types from bricks, plastic tables, sidewalks, and the like.

I used it to strip some FW minis down to the resin without any trouble whatsoever after about a day soaking it. Only thing is, make sure you dry out your brush your scrubbing with really well before touching the soaked mini, as water completely hardens the paint and make sit difficult to get off again without another soak.

It took me 2 weeks of soaking with daily scrubbing to full clean some old marines. It didn't help that I had sprayed them in both Dark Angels green spray and black primer. Give them a good scratch (purely epidermal) with a dental pick or whatever dull needle you have in open areas to help get past the thick primer.

Just finished stripping the force I bought off Ebay.

Simple Green is awesome on regular paint. My rhinos had two separate paint jobs layered one on top of the other and the SG cut through them just fine.

However, some of the marines had the same issue with the Chaos Black primer refusing to come off.

I went back to Wal*Mart and, in the same aisle where I picked up the Simple Green, I grabbed a bottle of Purple Power and a pack of nitrile gloves.

You'll need the gloves because, although PP is biodegradable it is very caustic and will burn your skin if you expose it for too long. Eye protection is a good idea as well.

I soaked the marines for about 24 hours and the paint fell right off. The primer took some gentle scrubbing and some of the models still look like they have a chaos black wash over bare plastic, but they're clean and ready for a new paint job. (One of the jetpacks was originally primed green for some reason. Weird...)

Hint: place a funnel and a paper towel in the bottle's spout and you can pour your SG or PP right back into the bottle to use for next time.

Depending on if you are getting Simple Green concentrate or pre diluted stuff...

I get the concentrate and you have to be careful to not over-dilute it.

Soaking for 24 hours will has never failed to remove all the paint fairly quickly.

5 minutes with a nail brush cleans a whole tank.

I'll second what Brother djhg said. I have used the Simple Green concentrate and it stripped off the paint and primer after a day/day and a half soak. Work the figure over with an old toothbrush and wear gloves. After everything is cleaned off though, I would rince the figures in some isopropol alcohol. It will remove any residue left over and give the primer or paint a good clean surface to adhear to. Good luck.

Just finished stripping the force I bought off Ebay.

Simple Green is awesome on regular paint. My rhinos had two separate paint jobs layered one on top of the other and the SG cut through them just fine.

However, some of the marines had the same issue with the Chaos Black primer refusing to come off.

I went back to Wal*Mart and, in the same aisle where I picked up the Simple Green, I grabbed a bottle of Purple Power and a pack of nitrile gloves.

You'll need the gloves because, although PP is biodegradable it is very caustic and will burn your skin if you expose it for too long. Eye protection is a good idea as well.

I soaked the marines for about 24 hours and the paint fell right off. The primer took some gentle scrubbing and some of the models still look like they have a chaos black wash over bare plastic, but they're clean and ready for a new paint job. (One of the jetpacks was originally primed green for some reason. Weird...)

Hint: place a funnel and a paper towel in the bottle's spout and you can pour your SG or PP right back into the bottle to use for next time.

Thanks for the tip, I will have to try that in the future. Simple Green (and yes, it was the concentrated stuff) barely did a thing in my case. Never using it again.

I managed to remove most of the primer, and all the paint last time i used Simple Green. The trick was fill a small box with simple green, immerse the models, and add warm/hot water. Wait a few hours, scrub under hot water, and anything that is ever meant to come off will.

Simple Green always does the trick if you only want to remove paint. Primer is just much harder to get off for above reasons.

Don't dismiss SG because it doesn't work on primer. :blush:

In my case, SG didn't even remove the paint (except in a few spots that came off with vigorous scrubbing). I was pretty underwhelmed.

try oven cleaner.

put your models in a container, spray them then put the lid on fast and let it sit. The fumes do the work.

*Any time you try to strip a model with something new test it first on a sacrificial model just in case(but not a marine, not on this website.)

P.S. use gloves and dont breath that s*#& in it will mess you up.

Depending on if you are getting Simple Green concentrate or pre diluted stuff...

I get the concentrate and you have to be careful to not over-dilute it.

Soaking for 24 hours will has never failed to remove all the paint fairly quickly.

5 minutes with a nail brush cleans a whole tank.

concentrate, i got a gallon from autozone for around 16 dollars. its been 9+ how many days since my first post and that primer is laughing at the simplegreen... i think ill just get what i can off then wash and respray the areas that it came off of.

I use Simple Green extensively to reclaim old eBay models. There are two things it cannot dent:

1) GW primer, especially White Primer. White Primer has something in it that Simple Green cannot crack. Dunno if it's a hardening agent or what, but it just won't come off. For removing primer, I use Easy Off oven cleaner.

2) Sealed/varnished models. Simple Green cannot penetrate the impermeable layer created by Purity Seal, or any gloss or semi-gloss sealer. Again, use Easy Off oven cleaner to crack these.

Depending on your age - try Brake Fluid! - it takes it all of!

Let it soak for a day or 2 - take a tooth bruch to it (NOTE: use tooth brush BEFORE you rinse!) give it a good scrubbing and hey presto nearly no paint or primer! you may neet to take a tooth pick/ small pin for some of the fine detail. if you have some stubborn patches - just repeat.

Once done just rince and give them a gentle wash with a light soapy solution and your all done

I use Simple Green extensively to reclaim old eBay models. There are two things it cannot dent:

1) GW primer, especially White Primer. White Primer has something in it that Simple Green cannot crack. Dunno if it's a hardening agent or what, but it just won't come off. For removing primer, I use Easy Off oven cleaner.

2) Sealed/varnished models. Simple Green cannot penetrate the impermeable layer created by Purity Seal, or any gloss or semi-gloss sealer. Again, use Easy Off oven cleaner to crack these.

That must be it (#2). They were varnished with a spray matte varnish, but since I got some paint off I assumed that SG must have had enough power to get rid of it.

I also soaked it for a long time, like a month with regular brushing. You'd think even varnish would come off after a month, but meh.

Archived