BFG Campaigns

Demoulius

hello gents.

me and 2 other friends have been getting to know BFG for a while (as you can see in my blog here :D) and were almost ready to take it up a notch and start a campaign for it (thinking about it anyway)

the rule book has a pretty lengthy and interesting take on this but im wondering if you guys got some tips and/or comments yourselves?

we plan to combine it with a warhammer 40k campaign and maybe add benefits to that as well (for example if you win a BFG battle you get a orbital bombardment for free in your next game) and so on :)

i cant really find any special rules for space marine fleets or necron fleets though so im not sure how were supposed to work around but we will work out the holes in the campaign before we start it ;)

any advice/tips?

I've wanted to combine 40k and BFG in a campaign for a long time, but sadly BFG never took enough hold in my gaming group and 40k started to wither away, so that won't be happening anytime soon. Therefor I can't really help you but I'm really interested in more informations on how your campaign works, once you start it :(

thanks for the interest :)

not really sure on how were gonna work it out. so far we got a pretty small group (3 to 4 people) and only 3 of us play BFG sadly. were looking to add more people to the group but its not super likely to go down very soon....

anyway ive spend the better part of the day reading the BFG rulebook yesterday and send the guys a mail about to see if we can at least start trying to get the ball rolling :P

thing is that were also trying to combine the campaign with 40k, 40k planetstrike and maybe eventually apocalypse. so we got alot of stuff to work out before we can hit it off.

i personally think were making it all far to complicated but eh...well see where iit leads us :D

Necrons (& Tyranids)

Space Marines (not the sexy ones, mind you, but the current official ones)

GW printed a little booklet about integrating BFG with WH40K back during 3rd edition. I can't find my copy right now, but if I find it, I'll post the key points. If I recall correctly, they were more descriptive than prescriptive, and tended more towards conducting space battles concurrent with ground-battles.

If you have the resources, you might also consider Aeronautica Imperialis from Forge World. It bridges the gap between space battles and land battles by giving you atmospheric battles.

What kind of special rules are you looking for with marines? In BFG terms from Armada marine BB and SC earn 2 assault points in Planetary assault missions for every turn in orbit above the planet rather than 1. They can also kill a planet on a 3+ rather than the usual 4+ in exterminatus. Crons don't receive any bonus.

If you are looking to work BFG into the campaigns, I'd think one of the best methods would be to have the Assault points gained correspond with a certain number of points for the attacker and defender for a planet strike game. For example, the Defender starts with a full army on the planet for a given point value. For the attacker, split the total number of points for your planetstrike game into four to correspond with the four possible results to the assault. So if you have 2k points available in planetstrike, each result would represent X points for the attacker in 40k: Defenders Victory: 500 points, Defender marginal win: 1k points, Attackers Marginal Win: 1.5k points, Attackers Win: 2k points.

That would mean a Marine fleet that gained 8 assault points in BFG would play the 40k planetstrike with a 1.5k force. This may be too small for you folks so feel free to adjust the numbers however you see fit. The BBB even lists that each assault point represents 2k points in 40k. (!)

You could expand from there that you get the free orbital bombardment or +x points in your 40k games if you win the assault and remain in orbit. This can be dislodged by your opponenet attempting to send another fleet to break your hold on the planet granting them the bonus. It's all somewhat rudimentary, but hopefully it gives you some ideas to work with.

i stand corrected on the necrons and tyranids, thanks for that Tyler :)

they make no mention of the refits for the necrons though so im assuming they can just take those?

cant find any reference to campaigns for the space marines though, would the normal rules just apply for them then? :(

truth be told Vaaish we havent done the scenario yet where you attack a planet...

so perhaps we rushing this abit to much then...we only played 2 or 3 scenario's so far.

id like the BFG campaign to be more stand alone then tied to the 40k one tbh but theyre dead-set on combining the 2...

It doesn't even have to include planetside fighting. You can play 40k games of Boarding Actions (ie, when you board an enemy vessel). For instance, you could play BFG up to when you intiate a boarding action, at which point you switch to a game of 40K. There was a booklet for it, but I don't quite remember what it's called.

that doesent sound like a bad idea -_- ive send them an explanation how the campaign works and they like how it sounds, they just want to put more focus on 40k. mind you they want to have more story based games and campaign influenced games then normal ones :down:

so the idea about the boarding action doesent sound like such a bad idea at all :HQ:

i think ive convinced them to at least implement BFG abit more. its now like a 1/3 ratio of BFG/40K battles and since not all 40k battles will be super sized ones that sounds like a great plan to me!

if we become more familiar with the rules we should be able to play all of those games in a single day as well! BFG to determine who gets to attack...and then move onto 40k for the details, with perhaps some special things like orbital bombardments or planet strike thrown in to show that the fleet is helping out :(

looking forward to this :)

Archived