Assault on Hydrax (P1)

dragonknight4275

Here is part one of a short story I wrote as a celebration of completing my Blood Angels army. Hope you like it!

Veteran sergeant Kegan of the Blood Angels approached the large, gold-trimmed doors that marked the entrance to the Captain's quarters. Upon him coming near, a servitor slowly opened the grand doors, allowing the sergeant to enter the room. Captain Flavius Hawk, leader of the strike force, sat at a large, decorated table. Maps of all sort cluttered its surface, but the captain was looking at one of them in particular. As Kegan walked towards his captain, he noticed the ornate power sword leaning on one of the table legs. Hawk looked up and followed the sergeant's gaze. "Ah," he said. Picking up the sword, he drew the long, gleaming blade from its scabbard. "Beautiful, isn't it?" asked the captain. Kegan nodded, mesmerized by the sword. The blade itself was forged from jet black obsidian, with the symbol of the Blood Angels etched into it. A winged blood drop decorated the handguard, and the hilt was a rich gold. Sliding the weapon back into its housing, Hawk looked back at the map, and spoke. "I called you for a reason other than to admire my blade, you know." The remark snapped Kegan back to his senses. Hawk continued, "as you know, a band of cultists devoted to the Chaos god Khorne is holed up in this fortress. He pointed to a marked castle drawn on the map. "We cannot risk an orbital bombardment due to the fact that the cultists are in possession of an artifact that would undoubtedly unlock many secrets about the ways of Chaos, quite possibly including new tactics to combat it, and so far, the cultists have proved themselves experts in defending a fortress. However, our scouts have discovered that the castle has a weak point, which is the eastern gate of the complex. While I take the majority of the strike force and attack at the front, I want you to lead two squads and infiltrate the castle at the eastern gate. Find the artifact, and then get out and return to us. I am aware that the cultists will suspect that my attack is a diversion, but the logic behind this is to require the cultists to focus their forces fully on us, for if not we will break through the front gate. This will make it easier than what it would have been for you, so I do not expect failure under any circumstances. Understood?" Kegan bowed. "Of course, captain. I will select the squads now." The captain murmured in satisfaction. As Kegan turned to leave, Hawk made one last remark. "Remember Kegan, although this mission should not be a particularly difficult one, I want you vigilant at all times. Now go. For Sanguinius."

Ok, that's part one. It was supposed to be the boring plan part, so part two will have some action in it. Hope you liked it though!

Archived