What Has Been Working for the Blood Angels Competitively?

Joasht

I've been away for several months, back then the codex had recently come out and there was a lot of debate on the options available to the BA; be it deepstrike, transports, bikes, etc. and about certain army selections like the special characters, Sanguinary Guard, the various dreads and the Baal Predator.

Now that several months have passed and many more games have been played, what has and hasn't worked for our chapter? I'm getting back into the game, so I kind of need to catch up with what has gone down in the past few months XD

Thanks!

Sounds interesting, and very befitting the new Stormraven release. Admittedly I don't really fancy the model (as my cousin likes to call it, the "bobblehead Thunderhawk") but game-wise, how has it performed? Is it safe putting that many points into it? The Stormraven looks pretty soft on paper; granted immunity to melta is nice, but then again with that kind of AV a lot of other weapons can easily do a number to it...

I run a pair in my SG army, one carries a talon furioso + SG squad, second packs a Libby and an SG squad.

Every game they earn their points, the trick is to use them as an assault transport and accept that they WILL die if the other guy wants to kill them. I like to give the other bloke a choice between 2 ravens and 2 dreads, splits his anti-tank fire and lets me reap a harvest of blood with the SG squads.

2 things with the Ravens, ALWAYS take extra armour and always take hurricanes.

Really though.. when it comes to what has worked.. everything really has. Except the obvious really bad choices like Techmarines :-P

I have seen Mech lists that were brutal, but also DC and Sang Guard lists that really hit hard and normal DoA lists that have really shown potential.

Morticon has shown the power of the Bike combined with our Sang Priests and is also an advocate of more 'all comers' lists that use a combination of armor and jump infantry to great effect.

The real kings of the current game are:

- Mephiston

- Astorath

- Librarians

- Chaplains

- Sang Priests

- Furiosos in all it's forms

- DC in Transports (either a Rhino, Land Raider or Stormraven)

- (high points games) a fast and hard hitting Sang Guard

- Assault Squads (both in transport, usually a Razorback, and with JP)

- Tactical Squads (usually just 1, but great support.. possibly in a rhino)

- Baal Predators

- Bikes with Feel no Pain

- Auto/Las Predators

- Stormravens

Those are really the things you need to try and include into your army and make it the way you want it to be. They are fluffy and are all worth their points by far if used wisely.

I run a pair in my SG army, one carries a talon furioso + SG squad, second packs a Libby and an SG squad.

Every game they earn their points, the trick is to use them as an assault transport and accept that they WILL die if the other guy wants to kill them. I like to give the other bloke a choice between 2 ravens and 2 dreads, splits his anti-tank fire and lets me reap a harvest of blood with the SG squads.

2 things with the Ravens, ALWAYS take extra armour and always take hurricanes.

Similar to what I run except I just pack in assault squads with a libby (shield and sword) and a dread.

I absolutely agree, always get the extra armour and hurricane bolters!!!

You seem to be seeing large squads of assault marines with either jump packs or coming out of rhinos always with a sang priest. A squad death company with a chaplain, they used to all have power weapons but these days they don't, normally in a landraier or rhino and a libby as your hq. these seem to be as mandatory as space wolves having grey hunters and long fangs, chaos having oblits and lash princes. The

list im having is 3 vindicators followed by a tech marine with jump pack turbo turn 1 blow everything up turn 2 and then 3 baal preds outflank and flame everything before the assault marines clean up and grab objectives.

Thanks for the replies thus far!

Mort - Haha that was an awesome read, and a great army list! Sounds like my current planned army list somewhat, although I hadn't considered taking two RAS in rhinos, and would take two SHPs instead of just Corbulo. Great to see Corbulo working out for you, I never really looked his way until now XD

Archived