Annoyed at the landraiders awesomeness...

In recent days Ive noticed that the within the spacemarine tank choices most tanks genarally have a main cannon, Vindicator has a MASSIVE mortar looking cannon, The Predator has a massive auto-cannon or Twin-linked lascannon which just looks awesome and the razorbacks get twin-linked lascannon too.

But the land raider, It can only have a twin-linked H.bolter or twinlinked assault cannon,, Nothing like the Kaboom factor on cannons on the other tanks, they decided to keep the kaboom factor to the sponson Twin-linked lascannon?!?

I recently seen a new release of landraider from forge world,

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-4000...MPLETE-KIT.html

In the centre It has a thundercannon, I know thats just awesome right??

But in anynormal 40K game you cant use it, so hey,

I wondered if I could pretend its a twin-linked H.bolter or twinlinked assault cannon but model it as a huge cannon just for the sake of having a massive cannon on a landraider?

Your thoughts?

Vindicators are basically defense breakers... so they are supposed to tear down fortresses and so on.

A LR is an assault vehicle... so it basically cleans up the path it wants to tread and unloads his goodies.

It makes sense it has high rate of fire weapons and the front ramp is clear :rolleyes:

The Land Raider is, from a visual design point of view, closer to the tanks of WWI, which rarely had a main gun, but more likely small cannons or machine guns on their flanks.

From a futuristic tactical POV, I see the LR as a kind of battle fortress or land battleship thing. There are troops inside, it has several heavy guns in every direction and moves forward until in range for its cargo to unleash hell on a section of trench or whatever. And that really works for me.

I do sometimes crave cool main battle tanks, but if I ever want to have a real tank platoon, I'll just buy three Russes and use them in apoc only. For my Marines, the LR is just awesome as it is.

It's called

Owner: 'Can I use this?'

Opponent: 'Hell no, I've seen the rules for that, and look at its cannon!'

At which point you use the four sweetest words in the english language... "I win by default!"

On a serious note I've never had a problem using my Elysian drop list at clubs and I wouldn't take it to events where FW isn't allowed... So unless you do a lot of tournies, your group has a house rule banning FW or your play group is full of $^£^$£^£*&(()^£%^$ FW rules shouldn't be a problem... although flyers and super-heavys should not be used without advanced warning and you should tell people before you set up that you are using FW... people seem to get annoyed when in the middle of a game you suddenly have a dreadnought assault out of a drop pod.... if you haven't warned them :rolleyes:

I still would not Vs the new Derpraider We Proxied a game It had 5 scouts and a MOTF and well It Drove 7 foot with 9 twin linked railguns firing every turn And guess what it made it My Group will NEVER allow that to touch the Table Pretty much everything else is free game Bar fliers.

How many people does an M1 Abrahms tank transport? Tank commander, driver, gunner(s), loader(s).

This is equivalent to the Predator Annihilator/Destructor.

How many people does a Paladin self-propelled-gun transport? Crew Leader, gun-layer, loaders(s), effects coordinator.

This is equivalent to the Vindicator (on a much smaller scale).

The APC/Stryker can hold a good dozen or so people crammed in there, enough for form a squad, a mortar team, etc.

This is equivalent to the Rhino.

The US military really doesn't have an equivalent to the Land Raider; the posters above have the right of it though. It's meant as an assault platform, a land-battleship, heavily armoured to deliver the important asset of any army : infantry. Without the support of infantry, a purely armoured force (in realistic terms) will get torn to pieces. The Land Raider fulfills the roll both of transport, and for remedial support to pull away and peal around the flank to provide cover outwards, and to pick off stragglers or any sort of 'surprise' that may await those on foot a little ways down the road.

You'll notice the rules for the LR-Achilles has a reduced transport capacity as well - because it's acting in a roll it's not normally suited for, but was adapted into.

I still would not Vs the new Derpraider We Proxied a game It had 5 scouts and a MOTF and well It Drove 7 foot with 9 twin linked railguns firing every turn And guess what it made it My Group will NEVER allow that to touch the Table Pretty much everything else is free game Bar fliers.

I laugh at your groups lack of firepower... Also if it is important never trust the cow-fish people to do it.

How many people does an M1 Abrahms tank transport? Tank commander, driver, gunner(s), loader(s).

This is equivalent to the Predator Annihilator/Destructor.

How many people does a Paladin self-propelled-gun transport? Crew Leader, gun-layer, loaders(s), effects coordinator.

This is equivalent to the Vindicator (on a much smaller scale).

The APC/Stryker can hold a good dozen or so people crammed in there, enough for form a squad, a mortar team, etc.

This is equivalent to the Rhino.

The US military really doesn't have an equivalent to the Land Raider; the posters above have the right of it though. It's meant as an assault platform, a land-battleship, heavily armoured to deliver the important asset of any army : infantry. Without the support of infantry, a purely armoured force (in realistic terms) will get torn to pieces. The Land Raider fulfills the roll both of transport, and for remedial support to pull away and peal around the flank to provide cover outwards, and to pick off stragglers or any sort of 'surprise' that may await those on foot a little ways down the road.

You'll notice the rules for the LR-Achilles has a reduced transport capacity as well - because it's acting in a roll it's not normally suited for, but was adapted into.

yeah, and nothing we have can carry 10-12-16 behemoths in power armor, let alone half count of TDA.

Archived