Re-Using a Chapter Badge

Ishida

I am pretty average painter, I'm capable of making my figures look good from table-top heights and in uniform units. I'm not the worst, but I'm not going to ever win much praise for my painting either. I've taken lessons, read articles, and so on and so forth... but its taken me 20+ years to get to "table-top standard," I'm not getting any better.

The thing is, I'd like to finally have an army with Chapter Badges and other iconography on their shouldes, tanks, and whathave you. I cannot readily "freehand" anything on the 60+ infantry that will be in my army. Would it irk too many of you if I just used the White Scars decals that come in all my boxes?

My DIY chapter, see sig, is a White Scars successor and their over-all look is quite different from the founding Chapter. Can I do this, or will everyne just think I'm fielding grey White Scars?

There are other decal options out there than the ones that GW provides. I know our own decals (see my sig) will give you some other options and there used to be a handful of other companies providing alternatives as well - though I have to admit that I haven't checked recently.

Our decal range started out for the same reason. I don't enjoy freehanding designs like that myself and I didn't want to be stuck with the few options that GW provided. Not to mention that their decals were always a pain to work with (that's gotten better in recent years).

Chapter symbols are reused by GW all the time. Sometimes they are reused without any modification, other than changing the base color scheme. Sometimes the symbol is reused, but incorporated into something else.

Do as you wish.

Nothing at all wrong w/ doing that, I have my own Blood Angel successor chapter, called Sanguine Templars, I have used BA bits and Black Templar upgrade bits as well, many of my troops sport the Black Templar cross on the shoulder...nothing wrong with it at all, make it your own!

Ashton

Also look to the Imperial Guard, Empire or Bretonnia for inspiration - there are a load of decent skull or lightning bolt symbols on the Imperial Guard sheets, whilst there are a tonne of cool heraldic designs in Bretonnian sheets which can carry a nice Knightly flavour.

Archived