white primer

Tellos05

hi guys

Let me start by apologising for any bad spelling and if this is in the wrong place, this is after all my first post here. I've been having monster problems with white spray primmer. I've used other colour sprays from GW and Army Painter like black, blue, red ect... and all have come out fine. The problem Im haveing is if I hold the can to close it almost goes like a "wash" going really thick in places like shoulderpad rims and not giving proper coverage. If I hold it to far it tends to go quite "powdery" I've tried everything from giving it multiple sparys to hanging them upside down, but cant quite get it right. I know it sounds abit stupid given base coating is the easiest part of painting, but could anyone give me any tips or advice as to what im doing wrong? Any help would be fantastic. Thanx

I know it sounds abit stupid given base coating is the easiest part of painting, but could anyone give me any tips or advice as to what im doing wrong?

Not stupid at all. For some reason, white primer has proved a nasty nemesis of mine in the past as well. I often wound up with the same 'powdery' finish that you mentioned, regardless of how vigorously I shook the can, ambient temperature, distance from the model, etc. I think it's just a crappy product personally, but I haven't tried other suppliers' white sprays to do a fair comparison.

So in short, I can't help you, but I sympathize. :teehee:

Well this is how i do,

1.spray white if it dont cover every thing let it be because if you spray to thick youll be screwed.

2. Take white paint with a ratio of 1part paint 4parts water 1:4 and paint the areas where it dident cover.

3.THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!! Let it dry.

4.Paint another layer of white if its necesary.

I've used GW, Army Painter and Vallejo primers, no problem.

I like best using Vallejo primer, mainly because I use it by airbrush, but you can also paint it on the model with a regular brush.

Hope it helps!

Priming with white spray shows if your priming technique is viable more than any other colour.

When I read you had troubles with the "wash effect," my first guess was that it's actually more of a problem of applying the primer correctly.

Take a look at this:

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2009/11/...g-thoughts.html

The essential is the "pff-pff instead of pffffff" -part.

If those instructions don't help (especially if the finish turns out powdery) you propably have a crappy can. Happened to me before, especially with white.

Hope that helps you out a bit.

^^ That is a good suggestion, the other that I would make is the tempeture of your primer. Before you go out to spray, take your primer and put it in the sink w/ some warm water from the tap, NOT boiling water. Let the can sit in that warm water for a few moments, then take it out, shake it well and put it back in, repeat this a few times, then go prime your mini, it will do wonders for your coat.

Ashton

Archived