Dremel

GH05T

I have been interested in the W40K universe for 10+ years. I've read at least 50 WD mags cover to cover. I've read plenty of modelling articles, but I have never read of a dremel being used, just hobby knives. I recently tried it out. It's amazing. Seconds are all I need to clean a plastic piece of anything I don't need. With how much easier it made things, I'm surprised I haven't heard of it from the modelling community. Have I always been looking in the wrong direction?

For those that have used it, how does it work with metal minis? Last I tried to use it to get pieces from a Sororitas, I couldn't find the right disposable disk and used a sub par one that did not work well. Should I only use disposable heads when working with metal, or will better quality heads survive the abuse?

--Okay, just did a search on here, but still didn't find an answer. Most of it had to do with drilling. I used mine to clean up a daemonette torso for a Noise Marine and to clean around the chest piece I wanted to use. Just had to stick the dremel in a vice and I had near perfect control. I can't imagine getting this fine of work done with anything else.

There are probably a couple of reasons.

1,) You'll never hear about it in WD, GW does not sell Dremmel Tools, they do sell hobby knives.

2.) It is expensive... not everyone will shell out for one and the bits needed.

3.) It is potentially dangerous, unless you have a good clamp or something you are using a power drill/file while holding a tiny model/bit in hand.

4.) There is a greater potential of ruining a model if you are not good with the tool.

5.) Hobby knives are more common, if you are going to write an artical you want to appeal to the majority of people, so unless there is something that can only be done with a dremmel...

I'm not saying that it is not useful. I have a friend who uses one, mostly for drilling, but I think that it is a rarity.

Dremel tool = $35-100+ depending on the tool and kit+Bits in many cases.

Hobby knife= $15.00 from GW, as little as $5 elsewhere.

if you have a limited budget to spend on the game I'd rather spend my money on models than a Dremel tool.

it all depends on the quality you are looking for and how much the bits cost to replace, when worn ( I have seen them for quite a bit of money at times. That said I don't think price is the biggest detractor, simply that it is one. For me and the way I model, safety and the ability to destroy a model rank most highly for me.

I bought a 10 Euro "dremmel-like" tool last week, mainly to help me sanding my resin casts.

Its dirt cheap, it has very little power (if you actually press it enough, it stops, you know what I mean) but its more than enough for what I need.

That said, I agree with breng77 that unless you set up properly (clamps and so on), you're in for some pain to remove the flashes of the plastic models.

A hobby knife works quite better for that and doesn't require any setup, so its faster.

I'll admit, GW shelled out for their version of an "airbrush" quicker than they put their name on a dremel-type tool. A bit surprising, considering the order of usage. Still, a dremel-tool is so very useful, you'll keep finding things to grind away....

I bought a 10 Euro "dremmel-like" tool last week, mainly to help me sanding my resin casts.
Would you tell us which one it is? I'm thinking about buying one as well, but shied away from the cost of the brand-name tools-

I actually have two - one cordless (slow speed but good for most projects) and one corded (super high speed for when you really need to cut). They don't get used all of the time, though. I'm sure my airbrush gets more use but when you need to really grind away at something then having one is great.

Would you tell us which one it is? I'm thinking about buying one as well, but shied away from the cost of the brand-name tools-

Cheap tools

Its a Spanish wholesaler who basically provides most non-brand hobby tools. For example, you can buy an Iwata starting at 100 euros(very basic) or get one their air brushes for something like 25 euros...

Actually, I think that a couple of hobby articles have made reference to a Dremel, though they've called it by the more generic "rotary tool" (Dremel being one specific brand). I have three and each has different uses, all highly recommended for various aspects of the hobby.

What in the world do you use one for in this hobby? Cleaning mold lines? that seems a bit drastic. Aside from using cutting wheels to hack up an old school metal dread, I can't think of what to use one for. I've been in this hobby since inception in the late '80s and have had several dremals but what do would you use it for? Please tell me because perhaps I've been doing this the hard way all along. :lol:

Didn't you know?

If you put the paint in one of the discs, place a primed model in front of you and hit high speed, it results in golden daemon :lol:

Try it and let us know how it went... xDDDD

Now seriously, if you have to pin A LOT of minis, the vice does get a pain...

And if you have to sand a lot of resin cast bases, it saves a lot of time.

For pinning I use just a pin vice, It's so easy I've never even thought of trying anything else. And for magnets in the bottom of resin bases I use a small cordless screwdriver, one of the really underpowered $20 types. That is all I use it for actually.

And I use resin bases almost exclusively and have found that a flat sheet of sand paper on a table makes really quick work of sanding off the extra bits and keeping the base nice and flat all in one shot.

Well, I have a dremel in the shed (the one with the flexible shaft attachment) I'll have to keep it in mind when I run into something more difficult. I am in the middle of a 10 man RAS squad that I pinned to resin bases and inserted .25" magnets in the bottom of the base (for transport) perhaps the dremel would have saved me a little time and effort... ;)

Archived