Black Legion Warband: The Aphotican Oath

A D-B

If you have a friend with access to an airbrush, that's the best way by far to basecoat a vehicle fast and without any brush strokes. If the friend is good enough, even highlighting is possible with it.

Have fun with the Word Bearers and remember that they do like their daemons..

(oh, and there are quite a few places, such as modelbits.co.uk and bitzbox.co.uk to buy loose bitz out there in case you want more than one defiler skull)

Thanks for the heads-up, dude.

I do have a pal with the airbrush, actually. He's the Guard player in the campaign, so he knows his stuff. I may hit him up for spray work, actually. Or rather, I may beg him to do it.

Either way, will post results as they come in. Trying to start my WiP thread tonight, though I'm about to head to New York for 10 days, for Book Expo, some signings, and to walk around behind Katie while she spends my royalties on shoes.

A novelist who collects 'word' bearers.. heh. (yes terrible I know)

I look forward to your efforts. ლ(╹◡╹ლ) (But understand fully they shall be extremely delayed.. like my sad and lonely comic I neglect so.)

I am personally shocked you think red is easier to paint them black.. Red drives me nuts.

A novelist who collects 'word' bearers.. heh. (yes terrible I know)

I look forward to your efforts. ლ(╹◡╹ლ)

I am personally shocked you think red is easier to paint them black.. Red drives me nuts.

Well with red, there's a few options of shades that give them a nice depth to begin with. Mechrite red for example, is a good starting point.

Black gets on my nerves mainly because the highlights are what brings out the depth in the scheme and i am a horrendously lazy painter at best.

Black gets on my nerves mainly because the highlights are what brings out the depth in the scheme and i am a horrendously lazy painter at best.

I could see doing all that for Raven Guard, but not for Black Legion. I've always held that the black should seem like it's swallowing the light, so I hit it with the primer and that's it, no highlighting or anything. The "bling" is in the trim and accessories, the black should (IMO) seem like a void or even just dull, like the stain of the Heresy leaves no luster. Red gives me more trouble because I have to mix them for the shade I want for World Eaters, so there's no excuse for me there except laziness on my part. :lol:

To each their own, though, I know people that can do amazing things with yellows and all they ever make me want to do is throw paint pots at the walls in fury. Maybe this is just an innate talent for reds on A D-B's part.

My problem with that is one I have with a lot of 40K fiction, actually. I tend to perceive all Marines as having pretty rudimentary (by sci-fi standards) but very efficient retinal displays playing out over their eye lenses almost all of the time. It's the sort of thing that runs a flatline sound when one of your squad just died, automatically locks onto a target and subtly pulls your bolter hand in that direction, and flashes obvious armour damage, as well as known allegiances, so you immediately aim elsewhere in the middle of the battlefield, rather than accidentally shooting your brother in the back. And it works, because Marines are trained to think and move that fast.

So in that example (and I'm not saying it's wrong, as a lot of writers and gamers do run with the disguise thing), but my perception would make it void by virtue of the retinal displays and the Marines' own eidetic, trained minds instantly letting them realise that something wasn't right.

Yeah, sort of like how Halo and Section 8, have the IFF tags (identity-Friend/Foe tags). Auto aim as a game mechanic can be seen as armor systems enabling target tracking, though it's far more pronounced in Section 8 (few things are more annoying in Halo Reach as drawing a bead on an enemy with a sniper rifle, and an enemy walks between your line of sight-just as you pull the trigger hitting him in the foot or something, and your target-the enemy sniper, domes you. Grrr.)

Archived